Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 1:15 pm

Duplicate
Old May 31, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I have always assumed the number of bags in the hold be exactly reconciled with the number of bags checked in. Someone upthread seems to imply only when there are too many bags do alarm bells ring.

That worries me. Picture this scenario: Nefarious individual 1, employee of the airport, places extra luggage in the hold. Nefarious individual 2 gate checks their bag but removes the tag and carries into the plane as hand luggage. Number of bag is actually exactly right.
Doesn’t that worry you a tad?
Old May 31, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I have always assumed the number of bags in the hold be exactly reconciled with the number of bags checked in. Someone upthread seems to imply only when there are too many bags do alarm bells ring.

That worries me. Picture this scenario: Nefarious individual 1, employee of the airport, places extra luggage in the hold. Nefarious individual 2 gate checks their bag but removes the tag and carries into the plane as hand luggage. Number of bag is actually exactly right.
Doesn’t that worry you a tad?
I'm unclear how individual 1 would get extra baggage into the hold. It would need to be tagged to a traveller.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Come on, hardly conclusive is it.

Knowing that such customers would be coming down the jetty first surely BA have a staffer stood there to intercept and collect the bags?

If yes, why are they getting past and into the cabin?

If no, I dont see it as a surprise that people are not just leaving their bags unattended. Not exactly the smartest thing to do really. ..................................

Bit of a thin argument if I may say so, sounds to me like the only people with brains turned to mush are the people at BA who design such daft processes.
There are two sides to this, I guess. Some travellers can behave very oddly, we know (even giving the impression that they perhaps shouldn’t be allowed to travel at all). But equally, I’m genuinely of the view that there is an inherent problem within BA-land where certain operational issues involving their customers are concerned.

Even in those scenarios where BA management come up with perfectly rational new procedures, they then appear to have great difficulty in .... er ...... persuading staff to actually follow them.

A topical example is Group Boarding, which would work consistently well - if only all ground personnel could somehow get their head round the wacky notion that Number 1 (only Number 1) comes first ; it is then followed by Number 2 ; which is then followed by Number 3 ........ you get my drift ; and with appropriate separation between each announcement and completion of each boarding group.

Old May 31, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
That worries me. Picture this scenario: Nefarious individual 1, employee of the airport, places extra luggage in the hold.
Where does individual 1 get this bag from?

Airport employees have to go through security like you and me.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:33 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So I’ve just seen this happen at LCY - but there was literally no indication where anyone should drop their bags? And this was into an Embraer which has very limited overhead space.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
A few points, and im loving this thread btw, as I see them. I've flown EZY plenty of times in my life and outstation or not, the whole world over, they will have someone on the airbridge who must have extra training for their eagle-eyedness will spot, stop and take gate checked bags. ON buss/ apron walks they will, invariably, have a baggage bin with a member of staff who stands at the bottom of the stairs & 'helpfully' directs GC pax to the bin. I wont say it happens 100% of the time but from personal experience it's more often than not in place. Could BA not do the same? Take the bags out the hands of pax and the problem is resolved.

They're giving up their bag so as others have said why do they need to rush onboard? Okay you need to incentivise them to do so in some cases so why not have a simple dynamic rule executed as so.

"We are looking for pax to put their bags in the hold because the flight is busy today, anybody willing to do so will get EARLY boarding." Execute G1,2,3 boarding, Now pax who have gate checked their bags( which have been taking off of them when they did so), group 4, group 5.

Lastly I never leave check-in without that lovely yellow Guaranteed Cabin Baggage tag. Whilst new to the BA game i'm yet to see anyone with one of those be refused even on busy flights. What I have seen is CC be proactive and store said bag elsewhere. I appreciate that if not flying CE AND your a Gold etc. You've got a seat, your status has enabled you to book that so who cares. Stay in the lounge and avoid the ruckus. Any holes ( and I appreciate those with more experience of BA will know them better than I) all become irrelevant if the paragraph above is used for those situations. Status/ Cabin Pax get to board 1st, those giving up bags get to board ahead of the rest, the bags aren't in their hands so no risk of them accidentally arriving in the cabin and we're all sorted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.