Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
How does billing work for checked baggage? I assume that HAL/other airport charge per item, I would be surprised if the baggage handlers count them manually, so could it be that the charge is linked to how many baggage tags are printed and this being the case then it would be expensive for BA having tags printed which are not used.
Bags are charged if they enter HAL's baggage system, not just if a tag is printed. (Note that buggies and wheelchairs get tags but are not sent down the chute...) So gate-checked bags are not charged, but those accepted at check-in and FCC are. I assume they are if entered as the airside service desks, but perhaps not as they won't need to be screened, genuinely not sure there.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
There's a pretty obvious answer to these hand-baggage woes... positive labelling.

In order to bring a piece into the cabin, it must have a label. No label: seized at the door and gate-checked.

In order to go in the overhead that label must be, say, green - any other colour goes under the seat in front until after take-off.

Properly enforced*, this would solve a variety of current issues.

I really should sell high-priced consultancy to BA

* I am well aware that my argument fails on this particular enforcement point
Old May 28, 2018, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It all sounds too complicated Fitch not to mention the expense of doing it.
My answer?...only bum bags should be allowed in the cabin. At least those with a massive bum will be happy.
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Noticed this a couple of times now. Passengers with high group numbers accepting the gate check option, having their bags tagged, getting early boarding, and then instead of leaving them at the gate, carrying them on. I was in 1C on Tuesday at Heathrow watching quite a stream of them going past.

Neat trick really, but I was wondering if mismatch between checked bags and hold contents would cause a flashing red light and klaxon somewhere. Seems not.
I think the gate tags were a manul tag and are only scanned when being loaded into the hold ... so if they haven't been scanned there is no record on the system?
Old May 28, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I think the gate tags were a manul tag and are only scanned when being loaded into the hold ... so if they haven't been scanned there is no record on the system?
Are you confusing BA for Ryanair? On BA, if a bag is gate-checked then a computerised baggage receipt is printed as normal and listed against the customer's flight record - usually the BP will be scanned to link them. Only the tags carried on board the aircraft to be used as a final resort by crew are manually written.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
This morning there were at least 2 pax who had gate-checked who got onto the aircraft, with their gate-checked bags, looking somewhat bemused.

They were clearly not trying to play the system, and had expected their bags to be taken from them at some point in the process - I heard them explaining to the CC. By this stage they were at Row 9 and the crew asked them just to take their bags and stow them in the overheads as carry-on. There is definitely a missing link or two in this process..
Old May 29, 2018, 5:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
This morning there were at least 2 pax who had gate-checked who got onto the aircraft, with their gate-checked bags, looking somewhat bemused.

They were clearly not trying to play the system, and had expected their bags to be taken from them at some point in the process - I heard them explaining to the CC. By this stage they were at Row 9 and the crew asked them just to take their bags and stow them in the overheads as carry-on. There is definitely a missing link or two in this process..
Yes - why would you just leave your bags unattended on an air bridge? I’m sure a lot have innocently brought their bags onboard.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Sounds like a great trick. I will add it to the "how to cheat seat selection" trick.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Some
I have also seen this happen, but I think it's easy for frequent flyers to assume the worst / this is intended maliciously when it fact I imagine a lot of the time the problem is it's very unclear to someone who doesn't fly often what they're actually meant to do with the tagged bag once allowed onto the jet bridge.

I'm sure there are at least a few passengers trying to game the system here, but for example on the average BA shorthaul flight you will get a steady stream of passengers stopping to looking closely at the numbers above the seats of row 1 / 2 / 3 trying to work out if that is where their seat is with their boarding pass in hand that clearly says 21D. Pretty sure they aren't going to know what to do with the gate-checked suitcase. Almost by definition those who choose to trade their luggage for earlier boarding are unlikely to have status / fly frequently.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Er, Lost - in - translation....., I am one of those who has no idea which row I should be looking for on BA short haul flights......I look, and look, and look again. My theory is that it comes from too much long haul J flying, when the seat row numbers on different planes and airlines are deliberately set to confuse folk like me.
Calchas likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyuk
Do people have no shame? I'd want the world to swallow me whole if I was caught doing something like that...
Volunteering to gate check a bag? Do you embarrass easily?
Old May 29, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jamespi
Now I am thinking that I should not feel so bad about sneaking my wife on with me in Group 3 when her boarding pass says Group 4.
You shouldn't feel bad at all! You aren't 'sneaking' her, it is official BA policy that passengers travelling together can board with the highest status passenger in their group.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Feck. Made the front page of FT with this

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/f...egulation.html
Calchas likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Feck. Made the front page of FT with this

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/f...egulation.html
Great career boost, congrats. Today BAFT and front page of FT - tomorrow labeled as 'Fake News' by a well-known world leader.
Calchas likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pjh981
..... passengers boarding with a carry on bag, popping it into an overhead locker in the first couple of rows, and then disappearing off to their seat down the back
That rips my knitting. If you're in CE then you should be able to board last if you want but have somewhere to stow your bag. It just leads to the "better get on first" mentality.
jfallesen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.