Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new BiTB dodge - gatechecking and carrying on

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When I do this, I make sure that I sit in an extra leg-room seat aswell, no matter which seat I have been allocated.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is entirely within BA's control and it is a safety issue because it affects weight & balance.

While no one bag here and there matters, carriers are rigid in adherence to W&B and must recalculate it if one extra passenger or bag is added to even a widebody.

When this became an issue after AA cracked down, it started running a report as part of the flight closing to assure that all bags for which a tag had been printed at the gate had been scanned into the hold. When there was an issue, I have been on several flights where an agent has boarded, walked up to a passenger and asked for the bag he checked.

Part of all of this is an obsession with having to board early, even when you don't need the space and the rest is about carriers allowing too much hand luggage, thus shorting passengers toward the end.
SPN Lifer and Oxnardjan like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:07 pm

A dastardly trick, but with a BA short haul looming in a couple of weeks it's a very handy tip.
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Seems like quite a clever idea to me.

M
Old May 26, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I'm suprised they get away with it. It's quite easy for the gate staff to go on the aircraft and get the bags as they will have the passengers names. As far as the dispatchers go they shouldn't allow the aircraft to go untill they are happy with the number of bags tally up. Maybe the gate staff are not giving the dispatchers the triple A stickers for those bags gate checked which again shouldn't happen.
Sorting out bag counts can cause serious departure delays and some re-training needs to be done.
At my airline (not BA) gate check items we take the items off the passengers there and then and hand them over to the loaders waiting for them.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
so, Um....what does it stand for? 🤔
I thought it was something like Balderdash in Tagged Bags.
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
No that would be BitB in CwBT (buggers in the back in chicanery with bag tags)
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
It's entirely BA's fault for giving a perverse incentive for people to get group 0 boarding. If BA changed it so you got to go one or two groups higher that might work, or alternatively ensure people can't handle their own bags after they have been tagged.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I still don't understand how a Y passenger that drops their luggage into the hold gets to board ahead of a J passenger who could have spent up to 10 times on the same ticket and possibly be GCH or GGL. It's a giant slap in the face if you've actually paid to use priority boarding as part of your ticket.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Seen this happen a few times now. Bags need to be taken away from them at the counter when they are tagged.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by flyuk
I still don't understand how a Y passenger that drops their luggage into the hold gets to board ahead of a J passenger who could have spent up to 10 times on the same ticket and possibly be GCH or GGL. It's a giant slap in the face if you've actually paid to use priority boarding as part of your ticket.
Some Y tickets are more than CE, so the financial point is a slight red herring.

M
Calchas likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I have never witnessed such behaviour but will be paying more attention in the future! What I do see a lot of and it does really wind me up, is passengers boarding with a carry on bag, popping it into an overhead locker in the first couple of rows, and then disappearing off to their seat down the back
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:56 am

I'll call that as nonsense.

10x to fly in CE is highly unlikely.

And it is possible that the person in Y you are talking about has paid more and is a GCH.

Old May 26, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by simons1

I'll call that as nonsense.

10x to fly in CE is highly unlikely.

And it is possible that the person in Y you are talking about has paid more and is a GCH.

Long haul business class can easily be 10 times more expensive than long haul economy. Also, some of the European routes are less than £10 on basic and more than £100 in business flexible, so nonsense it is not.

Whilst is it possible that the person in Y is a GCH and has paid more, my point is that a £10 basic fare can easily jump in front of GCH/GGL/First/Biz priority boarding just by pretending to gate check their luggage. Which is absurd.
lloydah likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:59 am

Long haul business class can easily be 10 times more expensive than long haul economy. Also, some of the European routes are less than £10 on basic and more than £100 in business flexible, so nonsense it is not.

Whilst is it possible that the person in Y is a GCH and has paid more, my point is that a £10 basic fare can easily jump in front of GCH/GGL/First/Biz priority boarding just by pretending to gate check their luggage. Which is absurd.
The discussion was clearly about SH. On LH this is rarely an issue as there are more/bigger lockers and no need for bags to be gate checked.

Of course you give an extreme example, I doubt there are many cases where a CE traveller has paid 10x more.

Also someone in First being jumped by a £10 basic fare? Clearly you are again talking LH but £10 fares on long haul?? Where do I get one?

Still FT wouldn't be what it is if people didn't have something to get those knickers twisted about. Bottom line here is if i) BA had realistic allowances relevant to the space available and ii) enforced it then people wouldn't get so lathered up about being first into a metal tube.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.