Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 - Dimmed Windows Override

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by drpabs
. Its equivalent on the opposite side of the plane, 7A would be the logical alternative but I have heard that since 7A is on the south side of the plane for NRT-LHR it's uncomfortable to sit there because of the glare and the heat from the sun. Also, apparently the noise from the toilets immediately aft might be bothersome. Since I prize direct aisle access I suppose as an alternative I might have to just sit in 6J instead and hope that the person in 6K enjoys daylight too so that I don't have to sit in the dark all day long.
Personally I don't think 7A (or its 788 equivalent 3A) is problematic. You can take the scree down one notch if necessary to take out the glare, but mostly the sun will be above the fuselage anyway.. The windows do get hot, but you will only notice this if you move the back of your hand close to the windows. The WCs on 787s is also a fraction of the noise on other aircraft. So while 13K is a good idea, and I'm happy with it too, it's actually noisier there, due to the proximity of the turbines, and the wings swallow up most of the view. On Narita, definitely do not take 7K, it's 3 pilots on that one.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I don't think 7A (or its 788 equivalent 3A) is problematic. You can take the scree down one notch if necessary to take out the glare, but mostly the sun will be above the fuselage anyway.. The windows do get hot, but you will only notice this if you move the back of your hand close to the windows. The WCs on 787s is also a fraction of the noise on other aircraft. So while 13K is a good idea, and I'm happy with it too, it's actually noisier there, due to the proximity of the turbines, and the wings swallow up most of the view. On Narita, definitely do not take 7K, it's 3 pilots on that one.
having just flown LHR-KUL on a 787 in 7E/F I would heartily recommend avoiding row 7, and have changed our seats to row 6 for the return. I could hear EVERY conversation from the crew which began at arrival -5h in the galley, and the toilet flush goes straight through the floor beneath your seat. I got 5 hours sleep on a 12h flight because I left it so late to go to bed thinking it would be peaceful :-(
Old May 23, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
what if they prefer light so that is it easier to read a book? This works best with a bit of give and take all round, but no one answer is perfect.
then they can turn on their reading light.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hbtr

then they can turn on their reading light.
I guess you don't do much book reading but do use IFE. The reason for dimming the lights for IFE is to increase the perception of an improved image on the screen - the colours seem more vivid. The reason for using natural daylight when reading a book is fairly similar in the inverse, it increases the perception that book reading is easier, more pleasant - modern font and book design assumes natural daylight. In both cases alternative lighting arrangements work for reading and IFE, and a lot of this is about perception, but hence my point about give and take. In a sense the 787 windows, at least on BA, work quite well, since knocking one or two notches downwards on the button, depending on outside brightness, gives a reasonable experience to both sets of interest groups.
windowontheAside likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.