Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 - Dimmed Windows Override

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

787 - Dimmed Windows Override

This is out of interest as I have never flown on the 787: When the Crew dim the windows on night flights that fly through the daytime (due to an early sunrise travelling east), are window seat passengers able to override their window?
At full opacity how much can you see out?

I am always thoughtful of fellow travellers so I wouldn't let tonnes of light in, I'm just interested in how this works.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I've never not been able to fully control my window during any portion of the flight.
at fully dim they pretty much block all light coming through. Unless you literally stick your face against the window and stare at the sun, in which case it's like a welders mask.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The window blinds should never be locked to dark, if they are speak to the crew.
The great thing about the blinds is that we can set the range, 1 being fully open and 5 being fully darkened, on a day flight I would set the windows at 2 to 5 meaning the brightest you could select is 2, on an overnight flight with the sun rising before breakfast I would set them 3 to 5 until we serve the meal before landing when I set them to 1 to 5 giving the full choice.
SK, deeruck, expatboy and 14 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Sorry to reawaken this thread a year later, but when I was on a flight to Kuala Lumpur, the windows were completely locked to 5 from about 2 hours after takeoff and gradually lightened 90 minutes before landing (quite understandably as it was a night flight travelling in daytime). Though no range was set, I'm guessing it is crew/route dependant.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this happens ask to speak to one of the senior crew, this is not our SOP and should not be happening.
SK, Gerbs, PETER01 and 5 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
If this happens ask to speak to one of the senior crew, this is not our SOP and should not be happening.
Something somewhere has gone astray here methinks. My last 3 flights have had them locked out by the crew.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well this needs to stop.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dubh
Something somewhere has gone astray here methinks. My last 3 flights have had them locked out by the crew.
Did you ask them to unlock the windows? Were these day or night flights?

It's my experience that on night flights they do switch the windows to darkness, particularly going to Asia when typically it will be dark anyway when passengers fall asleep - and of course that night time may only last a few hours so there is a danger of a premature dawn if this wasn't done. But either the windows are left unlocked after that operation, or a quick word with a cabin crew member will re-enable the windows. On day flights the windows tend to be left unlocked centrally.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will set all the windows to dark with is number 5 if it’s dark outside and most customers are asleep but not lock them out. What I also do on flights where it will get light while customers are still sleeping is set the system so that the window customer can only open the window to 3 which gives them a view outside but doesn’t cause too much brightness to enter the cabin.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Also locked on a recent 789 flight to full darkness.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Did you ask them to unlock the windows? Were these day or night flights?

It's my experience that on night flights they do switch the windows to darkness, particularly going to Asia when typically it will be dark anyway when passengers fall asleep - and of course that night time may only last a few hours so there is a danger of a premature dawn if this wasn't done. But either the windows are left unlocked after that operation, or a quick word with a cabin crew member will re-enable the windows. On day flights the windows tend to be left unlocked centrally.
2 of these were the day AUH flight. I did say it and one response was a pretty rude eye rolling.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Dubh
2 of these were the day AUH flight. I did say it and one response was a pretty rude eye rolling.
I flew BA73 to AUH last Thursday, and the windows weren't locked or set to dim at any time that I could see. It was a quiet flight (load was about 48%), not sure if that was a factor.

They were also not locked at any point that I could see on the return trip which got light about 90 minutes before landing (I had set my windows to 4 overnight and then lightened them at 50 minutes to run)

Edit: for comparison, Qantas had locked the windows to a 5 for the entire flight from PER-LHR when I flew that late last year, despite it being dark outside from about 1hr after departure until landing, which I didn't like.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well, this needs to stop.
I may have the ultimate way to stop this for you...
Flying on 787 to YUL later in the year with my mother.
If she can not see the horizon they will be clearing sick up for most of the flight
She gets very travel sick.
A little bit of light or the VomBox, your choice.
Vinotraveller likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Flew in from Rio last week, locked to dark all flight. I didn't mind for the majority as i was sleeping but i did ask for them to be unlocked for breakfast so i could try and wake up fully 90 mins before landing. I had to ask several times and it appears they were having a problem with the unlock so I had to wait for the whole thing to be brightened for the decent into LHR. Not the biggest problem ever for me but i can see it would be for some.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If your mother gets that travel sick then she needs to discuss it with her doctor and consider taking medication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.