Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 1:00 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes, the event where Al Baker acted like a jerk was the runway excursion in MIA. I agree with you and I consider that if the CEO has a cavalier attitude about safety then the entire company safety culture is rotten. Hence why I do not fly QR.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
QR's seats (787, 777-200LR) just are not that comfortable if you're tall. The 787 seat, particularly, is too short if you are more than 180cm tall. It's no fun having the headrest press into your shoulder blades if you try to sit with the seat in an upright position. I'll be trying to take a CW seat if this leasing happens.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Comments like this are why I frequent this forum even though I rarely ever set foot on a BA plane.
Interesting to hear that BA interests you so much
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Am I seeing things or over indulged in the red...QR are getting a bashing instead of BA? Am I on Flyertalk? Is everyone ok?
Old May 2, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
QR's seats (787, 777-200LR) just are not that comfortable if you're tall. The 787 seat, particularly, is too short if you are more than 180cm tall. It's no fun having the headrest press into your shoulder blades if you try to sit with the seat in an upright position. I'll be trying to take a CW seat if this leasing happens.
The QR seats do however have enough bed length. The bed in CW is too short for me.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Am I seeing things or over indulged in the red...QR are getting a bashing instead of BA? Am I on Flyertalk? Is everyone ok?
Weird things do happen !

Even when The Beatles were at the peak of their global fame, there was still the odd person who couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about ........
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
Any chance BA could get them wet-leased?
No
Old May 3, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The QR seats do however have enough bed length. The bed in CW is too short for me.
The 777-LR ones yes. The 787 ones no. They're also, like almost all seats except CW and Cirrus, a bit too short and tight at the feet for comfort.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Mike P
Any chance BA could get them wet-leased?
Originally Posted by rapidex
No
Weren't they wet leased last time? Wouldn't they have to be wet leased again as the crew need to do more training on the equipment because there are nuances between how each airline fits them out?
Old May 3, 2018, 1:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
Weren't they wet leased last time? Wouldn't they have to be wet leased again as the crew need to do more training on the equipment because there are nuances between how each airline fits them out?
they were but BA had to ask the CAA for an exemption to allow them to bring wet leased aircraft in from outside the EU and claim that suitable wet leases were not available within the EU. many other parties (such as BALPA) were not happy with this. rapidex is suggesting that the mood music is BA wouldn't be able to pull that trick again.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
they were but BA had to ask the CAA for an exemption to allow them to bring wet leased aircraft in from outside the EU and claim that suitable wet leases were not available within the EU. many other parties (such as BALPA) were not happy with this. rapidex is suggesting that the mood music is BA wouldn't be able to pull that trick again.
Couldn't they wetlease from Air Italy (IG) and QR simply transfer more aircrafts to them?
Old May 3, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by KARFA
I‘ll defer to those with more knowledge about the CAA, but for an industry-wide technical issue like this it would seem justified to lease in aircraft with the crew being a practical issue per above comments. Can imagine BA’s press release - CAA blocks BA’s plans, forces airline to disrupt people’s holidays etc.

Unless there’s a 747 fan who’s advocating a few returns from the desert...
Old May 3, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Couldn't they wetlease from Air Italy (IG) and QR simply transfer more aircrafts to them?
I can vividly picture the meeting where this idea comes up.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by flatlander
The 777-LR ones yes. The 787 ones no. They're also, like almost all seats except CW and Cirrus, a bit too short and tight at the feet for comfort.
Personal preference, I think. I'm 6ft2 and I feel more comfortable sleeping on a QR A350 than I do in Club World, even though I recognise feet are a little bit restricted - I'd rather that than shoulders/general seat width which I find to be the case in Club World. Having said that, the Apex Suite I'm sat in at the moment on JL wipes the floor with both of them.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I‘ll defer to those with more knowledge about the CAA, but for an industry-wide technical issue like this it would seem justified to lease in aircraft with the crew being a practical issue per above comments. Can imagine BA’s press release - CAA blocks BA’s plans, forces airline to disrupt people’s holidays etc.

Unless there’s a 747 fan who’s advocating a few returns from the desert...
The issue is that whilst there are European aircraft available for wet lease, which there are then wet leasing from out of Europe is not allowed. There is no suggestion that peoples holidays will be disrupted because BA is not allowed to wet lease Qatar aircraft.

Perhaps BA should dry lease a couple of Qatar A380's. The A380 fleet has some training capacity available and it would solve BA's lack of spare aircraft issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.