Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BBerg: Qatar Airways Looks at Loaning Wide-Body Jets to British Airways

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Weren't they wet leased last time? Wouldn't they have to be wet leased again as the crew need to do more training on the equipment because there are nuances between how each airline fits them out?
That would be a couple of pages in the manual and a briefing on a PC rather than training.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks to BA’s wet-leasing, it seems several of my future s/h bookings have been farmed out to Eastern Airlines and Titan. BA is clearly suffering in the Ops Centre!!

Am I bovvered? I’m confident I will get CE service/handling and BAEC TPs, and a change of scenery/CC will be a refreshing change from the usual drudge. Looking forward to all sectors.

At least AA hasn’t dumped on me .,. yet!
I think there are a few issues around aircraft deliveries and engine problems. Plus the additional slots in Gatwick mean they need a few more aircraft to fill them, and fleet planning doesn't catch up that fast.

Although Cruz said last week he thought he would cover the 787 problem with their own aircraft, he may want to help out his shareholder who still has too many aircraft after the blockade from several other Middle Eastern countries, and probably hasn't been able to adjust its delivery schedule, by using a few of their aircraft, just as Qatar is sending aircraft to Italy.

Regarding the safety comments on Qatar, I don't have any special knowledge about their safety procedures. And the airline clearly has a shorter history than BA, but I think QR has not had a fatal accident so far. Maybe that is a matter of time and probabilities. I would like to point out thought that QR has passed the IATA Operational Safety Audit.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Comments like this are why I frequent this forum even though I rarely ever set foot on a BA plane.
They never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get dull.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flatlander
The 777-LR ones yes. The 787 ones no. They're also, like almost all seats except CW and Cirrus, a bit too short and tight at the feet for comfort.
I'm 6'2" and thought the 787 seat was great. It's not often I sleep well on a plane, but I did on the overnight DOH-MAN.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Yes, the event where Al Baker acted like a jerk was the runway excursion in MIA.
Are you sure that was the MIA incident? The inaugural A350 flight from JFK has a rejected take off while full of press. He definitely said something along the lines of what was posted above - "Nothing to worry about, happens all the time" - which was pretty accurate.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Sealink
They never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever get dull.
Compared to 10-15 years ago this forum has, sadly, turned into a regular snore-fest, with only very occasional flashes of levity.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Are you sure that was the MIA incident? The inaugural A350 flight from JFK has a rejected take off while full of press. He definitely said something along the lines of what was posted above - "Nothing to worry about, happens all the time" - which was pretty accurate.
In relation to the MIA incident FlightGlobal quotes him as saying "Such kind of incidents happen quite often, either it is a tail strike on the runway or it is contact with the landing lights. It is nothing out of context.”
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...iami-c-419912/
Old May 3, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle

I‘ll defer to those with more knowledge about the CAA, but for an industry-wide technical issue like this it would seem justified to lease in aircraft with the crew being a practical issue per above comments. Can imagine BA’s press release - CAA blocks BA’s plans, forces airline to disrupt people’s holidays etc.

Unless there’s a 747 fan who’s advocating a few returns from the desert...
I thought the guidelines were clear - if EU aircraft are available then that is first requirement. If they are not then non EU can be leased.

I don't see the CAA attempting to block that so the bit about disrupting holidays sounds a bit hysterical frankly.

Isn't that what BA are doing now by leasing from Titan and others?
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I thought the guidelines were clear - if EU aircraft are available then that is first requirement. If they are not then non EU can be leased.

I don't see the CAA attempting to block that so the bit about disrupting holidays sounds a bit hysterical frankly.

Isn't that what BA are doing now by leasing from Titan and others?
Correct. And there are European long haul aircraft available. BA have been warned earlier when they bid for the LGW slots their long term crewing/recruiting model was incorrect. When BA bid for the LGW slots they gave assurances about the running of the extra flights. If BA is unable to operate those extra flights, then perhaps they should release some of those additional slots to an operator who can.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by masped
In relation to the MIA incident FlightGlobal quotes him as saying "Such kind of incidents happen quite often, either it is a tail strike on the runway or it is contact with the landing lights. It is nothing out of context.”
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...iami-c-419912/
Thanks... Bizarre!
Old May 3, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load

Weird things do happen !

Even when The Beatles were at the peak of their global fame, there was still the odd person who couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about ........
I still don’t understand what all the fuss is or indeed was about...
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by rapidex
Correct. And there are European long haul aircraft available. BA have been warned earlier when they bid for the LGW slots their long term crewing/recruiting model was incorrect. When BA bid for the LGW slots they gave assurances about the running of the extra flights. If BA is unable to operate those extra flights, then perhaps they should release some of those additional slots to an operator who can.
It's almost as if they could have got themselves organised and when they bid for the ex-Monarch slots, maybe hired the people who used to fly those very ones, or indeed, have bought out Monarch, slots, crew, and all...
Old May 3, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If the QR aircraft have to be dry-leased because a further wet lease arrangement will not be permitted, does that mean that the aircraft will have to go onto the G- register? Or at least some EU register?
Old May 3, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by flatlander
QR's seats (787, 777-200LR) just are not that comfortable if you're tall. The 787 seat, particularly, is too short if you are more than 180cm tall. It's no fun having the headrest press into your shoulder blades if you try to sit with the seat in an upright position. I'll be trying to take a CW seat if this leasing happens.
How strange. I'm 187cm tall and I find the QR seats including the 787 absolutely fine.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
How strange. I'm 187cm tall and I find the QR seats including the 787 absolutely fine.
+1 (I’m 194cm tall) - way more comfortable than BA’s coffins.
DYKWIA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.