Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Voluntarily doing things is one thing. Creating (including indirectly) an obligation is another.

It's one thing if the cabin baggage limit is 7 kg like it is on some airlines, but it is quite another when the limit is as much as 23 kg and if the airline created an (even unwritten/unspoken) expectation that cabin crew members will help if one brings on board a bag that is too heavy to lift in the absence of any disability or other issues that would prevent you from handling your own bag.

Hence the clear requirement that you must be able to lift your bags into the overhead locker by yourself which seems sensible.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances

Cabin crew members by and large are helpful people by nature and they do tend to help but it wouldn't be a good idea for us to rely on their goodwill or other passengers' to stow our luggage given the clear requirements, and I would be pleased that crew members would have a 'get out clause without any blame' to not have to lift heavy bags for most passengers, especially with those with helpful nature potentially putting themselves at risk by wanting to help.

(Obviously those who cannot do so due to disability would be helped one way or another and so they should, although admittedly I think it would be sensible to make it as light as reasonably possible, as most people would.)
So, just to cut down on the words:

The airline creates an expectation that you'll be on your own when it comes to bag stowing, but doesn't go as far as to say you won't get assistance.

However, crew do routinely assist passengers stow bags, and manhandle baggage themselves to make best use of space available.

I understand crew are told they are not required to do this, but at the same time are not forbidden from doing it.
HMPS likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Just took BA6 from NRT to LHR. (G-ZBKA)
As my wife and I boarded we got the (welcome in W or J, not in F) gate BLEEP - "Seat Check".....
... having read this thread I was a bit worried ...
We had 1A and 2A allocated. The seat check was to move us to 1K and 2K, because 1A was broken. Phew...
... but indicated to me that F seat breakage might not be infrequent... and made me wonder if it was ZBKA at SJC...
I have an A380 F coming up next week followed by a 777 HND to LHR F the week after - fingers crossed!
Deniedboardinghelp likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Just to keep everyone updated: I have not heard back from BA yet. I am going to try to contact them today and if this fails will move on to contacting people at a higher level.

If anyone here happens to have a method of contact for anyone senior at BA or could direct their attention towards this thread I would greatly appreciate it.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:04 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for coming back. While sad this is not surprising to hear they have not contacted you back yet.
I would not send a link of this thread: this is way too long. You need to have a short summary at hand that highlights the facts and cut the feelings (easier said than done). Disclosure : I am head of customer support at a company. I would never read something as long as this thread.

I am also afraid that directing towards someone senior at BA would fail. Your story also contains some elements which are not relevant to BA but to HAL. I stand that you need to involve politician and/or media. You can always talk to Nikki Fox (BBC correspondant for the rights of disabled people) and wish to not be mentioned by name or anything that could identify you and which disability you suffer from.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Deniedboardinghelp
Just to keep everyone updated: I have not heard back from BA yet. I am going to try to contact them today and if this fails will move on to contacting people at a higher level.

If anyone here happens to have a method of contact for anyone senior at BA or could direct their attention towards this thread I would greatly appreciate it.
Sadly, going around the houses trying to find somebody who gives a hoot about what happened is wasting your time and energy.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

I hope you'll take this in the constructive manner it's intended, but I think this is approaching a bit of a tough-love situation.

You are, honestly, being far too gentle with BA here. The bottom line is that unless there is a legal case under either EU or US law no-one in BA will care about talking to you at this stage. They've already made their disdain for your situation wholly apparent. Disgraceful though everyone here finds that on a human level, you are dealing with a multi-billion Dollar company that simply doesn't function that way.

Every one of us here is wholly insignificant in the entire scheme of BA - you will find plenty of Gold card holders or higher (me included) who have had to take BA to court to claim money from cases that would appear to totally straightforward and beyond any legal defence.

You have reached the stage where you either need to consider taking that legal action with the proper advice behind you or dropping this and making your own commercial decision about whether or not you continue to patronise BA. Both of those will hurt BA in the pocket, and that is the only satisfaction you'll get if you're not planning to expose their lack of caring through the press.

Those legal choices are not easy given the circumstances are not as many of us first assumed. Success is certainly not guaranteed, and in such cases you can be sure BA will fight hard. Based on that background, they are simply not going to respond to another polite enquiry a little further up the food chain - as far as they're concerned, from a CS viewpoint this is case closed.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Another quick update: I managed to speak to someone on the phone from customer relations who was very understanding and reassured me that the case definitely hasn't been closed. In fact it has been escalated and they are waiting for a response from their legal department, which they are now chasing up and have asked me to submit receipts for expenses.

I know some of you think my gentle stance is misplaced and I do appreciate all the advice (from people who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than myself), but I am going to allow BA a bit more time to make this right.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Another quick update: I managed to speak to someone on the phone from customer relations who was very understanding and reassured me that the case definitely hasn't been closed. In fact it has been escalated and they are waiting for a response from their legal department, which they are now chasing up and have asked me to submit receipts for expenses.

I know some of you think my gentle stance is misplaced and I do appreciate all the advice (from people who are far more knowledgeable and experienced than myself), but I am going to allow BA a bit more time to make this right.
I do hope your approach proves fruitful. If the issue has been passed ‘upstairs’ I’d say that’s a good sign. Personally I’d have lost my patience by now so I tip my hat to you!
Old May 8, 2018, 7:33 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum

when I contacted the twitter team by direct message about a ticket change issue I did send them a link to this thread.

they thanked me fo my attention in the other matter and pointedly made no reference at all to my link.

I think for one reason or another this forum has lost its importance as a means of meaningful feedback to BA. In the past when I’ve referred them to a thread here they have looked and come back to me.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Dear OP,
I am afraid that BA is one of the worst suppliers for Customer Service and Service Recovery. Amazon has many, many more customers than BA and they are good. BA are pathetic.
You might get somewhere with your softly-softly approach, but moving from Customer service who are, it would appear, instructed to reject most claims whether or not they have merit, (sometimes more than once) to the legal team, whose instructions are to save BA money is not a good sign.
As others have said, the Legal approach by you has some risk, although BA clearly ignored their duty to you to prioritise you, and I suspect that a media approach might be your best way forward.
I hope I am wrong, but..............
Often1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss

when I contacted the twitter team by direct message about a ticket change issue I did send them a link to this thread.

they thanked me fo my attention in the other matter and pointedly made no reference at all to my link.

I think for one reason or another this forum has lost its importance as a means of meaningful feedback to BA. In the past when I’ve referred them to a thread here they have looked and come back to me.
I think that observation is borne out by the fact that BA Executive Club only comes on here now to update on new things like the Avios seat purchase. When was the last time they posted anything meaningful before that?
Old May 8, 2018, 8:05 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

I think that observation is borne out by the fact that BA Executive Club only comes on here now to update on new things like the Avios seat purchase. When was the last time they posted anything meaningful before that?
It was like they were minded not to come to FT, even though FT has been part of the social media team's remit (I've been told as such by the twitter team in the past). It stood out as they had already thanked me in a post before that so the repetition was like saying thank you for the one thing, bt we can't go to the other one, but I'm unable to say that to you directly.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA, JAL
BA needs to treat its disabled passengers much better. This story is very upsetting. I think after this mishandling, it should be a priority to prevent this from happening again. Their stance, while predictable, is very disappointing. They need to resolve this. I am no expert, but the equality act should ensure that there is some level of fairness and I cannot see this here.
altabello likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
BA needs to treat its disabled passengers much better. This story is very upsetting. I think after this mishandling, it should be a priority to prevent this from happening again. Their stance, while predictable, is very disappointing. They need to resolve this. I am no expert, but the equality act should ensure that there is some level of fairness and I cannot see this here.
+1
It does not need any expert to understand that OP was wronged and no one took action to stop the damage. Unfortunately it looks like the Managers have truly forgotten the focus on SERVICE.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is the nature of the fallout from EC 261/2004. If OP thinks that having this matter referred to "legal" is a good thing, it is not. It simply means that it is no longer a customer service issue in BA's eyes (if it has eyes) and is being treated as a purely legal matter. I presume that this means that someone will sort out just how the Regulation applies and what OP is due. If anything is due, someone will be in touch with OP for bank details to arrange the transfer.

That will be based on an evaulation of OP's submission and the writeup from staff on the ground. If those diverge, BA will likely back up its staff unless what they have created is palpably false.

I would not look further than that as it will only frustrate OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.