Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 6:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
But during boarding they have specific places to stand and not take two of them to assist a passenger with a bag
I think you're right, if I remember correctly some are required to 'guard' a particular door and are not permitted to leave that position during boarding. Although I think there is usually at least one 'floating around', it might not be possible to have two people involved?
Old May 4, 2018, 6:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I asked my wife if she would permit me to buy a new lens. She said I was not permitted to do so. Does that mean it is illegal for me to ignore my wife?
If you said "Love, honour and obey" then yes.

If you said " Love, honour and cherish" then no.

Old May 4, 2018, 6:56 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PETER01
If you said "Love, honour and obey" then yes.

If you said " Love, honour and cherish" then no.

My wife says cherish means obey. It's good she doesn't know the difference between things I have so I just say "this? I've had it ages"
HIDDY, PETER01 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
My wife says cherish means obey. It's good she doesn't know the difference between things I have so I just say "this? I've had it ages"
Ha ha, I bet many a person has actually said that "This, I've had it for ages"

Just a general comment but this thread seems to have sidetracked into hypothetical scenarios and I added my comment to try and lighten the mood. I will, like many no doubt, be interested to hear what the final outcome may be.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's true, but a 23 kg bag on a BA aircraft would not be due to lax enforcement of the airline's weight limit, as tom tulpe appeared to think.
Those overhead bins have a weight limit. The fact that BA have basically given up on enforceing a weight limit (by having the ridiculous 23k limit) means that they're also fine with overhead bin loads that far exceed weight limits (which are not the airline's limit, but the manufacturers). I call that lax.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers have dropped their published weight limitations for OH bins of roughly the same construction. It's an outmoded concern and now largely a revnue generator by forcing extra checked bags rather than a safety issue.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Those overhead bins have a weight limit. The fact that BA have basically given up on enforceing a weight limit (by having the ridiculous 23k limit) means that they're also fine with overhead bin loads that far exceed weight limits (which are not the airline's limit, but the manufacturers). I call that lax.
Much bigger risk than exceeding the bin load limit (which is actually not that easy to do as I did think about that and looked at it but because bigger bins that would take a larger number of bags are higher-rated - it would need passengers bringing on lead or gold bars in small bags to reliably exceed that limit) is having things dropped on one's head by others.

I had a number of things dropped on my head by others, although thankfully they were mostly very light items and one time when I had something heavy dropped on me it hit the seat back before it hit my head as I'm quite short.

I'd prefer a more sensible limit of 14 kg or thereabouts and also having the exit row minimum age to be raised to 18 but then, what I want is not always what they'd do.

Besides, we're talking about assistance offered on board to passengers who are unable to put their bags in the overhead locker, not a policy discussions on hand luggage weight limit, aren't we?
Old May 4, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Besides, we're talking about assistance offered on board to passengers who are unable to put their bags in the overhead locker, not a policy discussions on hand luggage weight limit, aren't we?
And quite what it all has to do with the OP's predicament is anyone's guess.
ConfusedByBAEC likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It's one thing if the cabin baggage limit is 7 kg like it is on some airlines, but it is quite another when the limit is as much as 23 kg and if the airline created an (even unwritten/unspoken) expectation that cabin crew members will help if one brings on board a bag that is too heavy to lift in the absence of any disability or other issues that would prevent you from handling your own bag.

Hence the clear requirement that you must be able to lift your bags into the overhead locker by yourself which seems sensible.
Entirely agree. In truth, even if there was a limit of 7kg, I would not want there to be an expectation that cabin crew would routinely lift the luggage of passengers in the overhead lockers. They are not the passengers' personal porters.

For disabled passengers,I would OTOH expect cabin crew to assist those who are unable to lift their baggage, as long as the baggage remains within the cabin baggage allowance.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NickB

For disabled passengers,I would OTOH expect cabin crew to assist those who are unable to lift their baggage,
That goes without saying and must surely be what happens as long as they're made aware of the problem.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
That goes without saying and must surely be what happens as long as they're made aware of the problem.
agreed.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
And it indeed goes without saying but it is actually said clearly on BA.com on their Disability and mobility assistance page (as stated by some people already, that cabin crew will help passengers with disability to store their bags):

When you reach the aircraft, our cabin crew can help you:

find your seat and familiarise you with the seat and surrounding area
store and retrieve your hand baggage
move between your seat and the washroom
open any packaging of your on-board meal, identify your food and layout on the tray
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ance-available

Originally Posted by simons1
And quite what it all has to do with the OP's predicament is anyone's guess.
The OP mentioned cabin crew assisting with on-board stowage of hand luggage part-way through the thread, and there is a general theme of assistance for passengers with disability.
HIDDY and HMPS like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 5, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old May 4, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Deniedboardinghelp

Are crew not really supposed to do this then? In my experience the crew always proactively offer to put my bag in the overhead or take it out for me.
I have seen many foreign carriers FAs ready to put or assist with carry ons in the overhead bin. On the other hand have seen FA arguing that it was not her job.....
Old May 4, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I see it terribly unnecessary for cc to help put a 7kg luggage up there.

1 pc of sub 2kg for someone in need, perhaps.
But any more than that it shouldnt be the cc’s job. One can put it under the seat, send it in the cargo hold, or make it lighter.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:41 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
I see it terribly unnecessary for cc to help put a 7kg luggage up there.

1 pc of sub 2kg for someone in need, perhaps.
But any more than that it shouldnt be the cc’s job. One can put it under the seat, send it in the cargo hold, or make it lighter.

We are talking about FAs putting t up for someone with a disability not for a DYKWIA who can't be arsed to lift it himself. sometimes medical equipment can be quite heavy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.