Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What the Lord Giveth, the Lord taketh away - T5 F lounge catering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:58 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

So, first the good news. The Conviviality supply difficulties mean Tattinger is back in the F lounge.

Sadly this appears to mean reductions elsewhere. Apparently this is smoked salmon and scrambled egg from the menu. Anyone know chickens that lay something this colour?

Just in case you're wondering - yes, it did taste at least as bad as it looks...
Attached Images  
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
... Apparently this is smoked salmon and scrambled egg from the menu. Anyone know chickens that lay something this colour? ...
You should ask the chef to have a word with the chicken!

rockflyertalk and Pack like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I'd just stick to the Tattinger. It's never too early for a glass of Champagne!
rockflyertalk and jonkx like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So, first the good news. The Conviviality supply difficulties mean Tattinger is back in the F lounge.

Sadly this appears to mean reductions elsewhere. Apparently this is smoked salmon and scrambled egg from the menu. Anyone know chickens that lay something this colour?

Just in case you're wondering - yes, it did taste at least as bad as it looks...
Needed a bit more E69 colour in the egg powder, clearly.
Petrus, NWIFlyer, dylanks and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The scrambled egg and salmon including portion size has been dwindling in size since January.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
That looks like the normal colour for BA Lounge scrambled eggs.

I've found a way round it, is to ask for poached eggs - as they have to make them fresh.

M
Petrus, orbitmic, dylanks and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:55 am

Some egg yolks are paler than others. In the supermarkets you can buy special deep yellow yolked eggs. I think the chickens are given some sort of dye in their food to cause this. Eat up!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
It’s bad enough that the plebs have been bashing BA, now the Mods are getting in on the act!
mec72 and OldFruity like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

I've found a way round it, is to ask for poached eggs - as they have to make them fresh.

M
You may be surprised...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:09 am

The natural colour for egg yolks is quite pale. They add dye to the feed to make them a nice deep yellow/orange colour which the public associate with desireability. I often notice organic egg yolks quite pale.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A hen owner (I've got about 40 of them) writes:
The colour of an egg product is entirely due to the diet they eat, and to some extent the breed of hen. If they eat a diet rich in alfafa, grains and corn the yolk will go bright yellow. Hens love this, but it's not that good for them, they best have a more varied diet with greens and other vegetable products (and dare I suggest, insects and slugs). They are true omnivores, they will even eat coffee grinds. It has very little to do with the taste (if you do a blind tasting few people can tell the difference) or the nutrition. With scrambled eggs the colour is also dependent on using butter or not, and some chickens have larger white / lower yolk proportions (and what was last in the pan, mushrooms will darken scrambled eggs if that's the next item).

You can get deep red scrambled eggs by feeding the chickens peppers, or deep green by giving them olives.

I personally like a nice yellow hit, but it's entirely cosmetic and the egg in the photo is probably just as tasty and nutritious.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass

M
... and you can't make them with egg powder!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A hen owner (I've got about 40 of them) writes:
The colour of an egg product is entirely due to the diet they eat.....
There is clearly no limit to the extent of c-w-s' knowledge
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:55 am

I buy eggs from a lady across the road from my building site in Cornwall. The eggs are always a dark yellow colour, I never see this with eggs elsewhere. They are very tasty free range and seem to be in great demand so they must be ok.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

M
Maybe...

https://www.brake.co.uk/products/dai...-poached-eggs/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.