FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What the Lord Giveth, the Lord taketh away - T5 F lounge catering
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:14 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A hen owner (I've got about 40 of them) writes:
The colour of an egg product is entirely due to the diet they eat, and to some extent the breed of hen. If they eat a diet rich in alfafa, grains and corn the yolk will go bright yellow. Hens love this, but it's not that good for them, they best have a more varied diet with greens and other vegetable products (and dare I suggest, insects and slugs). They are true omnivores, they will even eat coffee grinds. It has very little to do with the taste (if you do a blind tasting few people can tell the difference) or the nutrition. With scrambled eggs the colour is also dependent on using butter or not, and some chickens have larger white / lower yolk proportions (and what was last in the pan, mushrooms will darken scrambled eggs if that's the next item).

You can get deep red scrambled eggs by feeding the chickens peppers, or deep green by giving them olives.

I personally like a nice yellow hit, but it's entirely cosmetic and the egg in the photo is probably just as tasty and nutritious.