Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American express premium plus - pre-overpayment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I realise it's only sort of BA related, but it is all about getting lots of Avios...

Anyway, I wish to make a large purchase - let's say it's £12k - and am hoping to put it on a credit card (for protection and benefits) so I need to find the best option available and was therefore considering the BA Amex Premium Plus card.

I have no idea what credit limit I'll be offered (yet to apply), but for the sake of argument let's say it's £5k.

I have enough money in my bank account to fund the purchase, so was wondering if it was possible with that card to pay £7k or more in advance on to the card (so card has a positive credit balance of £7k), and then make my purchase (using the £7k and my credit limit of £5k)?

From a BA point of view, would that then get me 25k (sign up bonus) + 18k (1.5 Avios per £1 spend) + a companion voucher?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by waldorfmuppet
I realise it's only sort of BA related, but it is all about getting lots of Avios...

Anyway, I wish to make a large purchase - let's say it's £12k - and am hoping to put it on a credit card (for protection and benefits) so I need to find the best option available and was therefore considering the BA Amex Premium Plus card.

I have no idea what credit limit I'll be offered (yet to apply), but for the sake of argument let's say it's £5k.

I have enough money in my bank account to fund the purchase, so was wondering if it was possible with that card to pay £7k or more in advance on to the card (so card has a positive credit balance of £7k), and then make my purchase (using the £7k and my credit limit of £5k)?

From a BA point of view, would that then get me 25k (sign up bonus) + 18k (1.5 Avios per £1 spend) + a companion voucher?
Aren’t you protected just by putting any of the amount on the card?

Amex generally have quite large available balances. But suspect you may need to use a couple of cards for your purchase.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Isn’t the OP trying to get the 241 voucher plus maximising his Avios collection on this single purchase?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish

Aren’t you protected just by putting any of the amount on the card?

Amex generally have quite large available balances. But suspect you may need to use a couple of cards for your purchase.
In terms of protection yes, but I want to maximise my Avios (hence posting here!) and would prefer to put everything on one card even it it means pre-loading it (is there a term for what I'm trying to do, as searching for credit card in credit isn't every going to be very useful...?)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze
When I first got my card I had a limit of £4k. I wanted to pay my tuition fees though and these were above the limit at £9k.

I rather sceptically tried to put through the transaction and it worked! Amex then sent me a text asking me to call them and the agent said; “There’s the available credit limit and the other limit we have that’ll allow transactions still to go through”. I was encouraged to make a payment quickly before it hits the account or a £12.00 fee becomes due for being over the credit limit

things may may have changed but I hope that helps!
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Isn’t the OP trying to get the 241 voucher plus maximising his Avios collection on this single purchase?
Precisely - that's what I'm hoping for.

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by waldorfmuppet

So you're effectively looking to preload the card, so there's enough available credit for your purchase. I admit my instinct was that would work, but this thread here (despite the title) from 2014 suggests they look a bit dimly on preloading, I don't know if anything has changed.

BA Amex is it possible to refer additional card-holder spouse for new card?

Now, as madfish has said, Amex generally seem to offer 5 figure credit limits, so you may well find you don't need to preload in this fashion, and a card comes with >12k limit.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Agreed. I've had no problems securing five-figure credit limits in the past (not that I've ever had use for them!).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
So you're effectively looking to preload the card, so there's enough available credit for your purchase. I admit my instinct was that would work, but this thread here (despite the title) from 2014 suggests they look a bit dimly on preloading, I don't know if anything has changed.

BA Amex is it possible to refer additional card-holder spouse for new card?

Now, as madfish has said, Amex generally seem to offer 5 figure credit limits, so you may well find you don't need to preload in this fashion, and a card comes with >12k limit.
Didn't Amex used to give <£5k on these cards? I have always avoided this one because my Hilton Barclaycard matched the £12k limit on my old bmi cards. Anything below 5 figures was never any good.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
AMEX is usually the best issuer as far as over-limit purchases go as long as you notify them before hand.
I know an IT guy who had to purchase a 45,000USD in server power supplies on a Sunday (due to some off circumstances) and they were able to assist with making it work, despite being ~20k over limit.

That said they may be willing to make accommodation for card-holders with more history .
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Didn't Amex used to give <£5k on these cards? I have always avoided this one because my Hilton Barclaycard matched the £12k limit on my old bmi cards. Anything below 5 figures was never any good.
Quite possibly - we are a recent convert to the BAPP Amex, and with retrospect my statement was probably a bit too general. They could well have been known for lower limits in the past.

Perhaps I should phrase it more guardedly, and say the OP could maybe get a card with enough limit to not need preloading (obviously it's always going to vary with individual circumstances)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Worth checking you can make the purchase on a card. I was a bit disappointed when told by the payment desk at a car dealer that the salesman had been wrong to tell me I could use a card for the full (similar) cost, and that the amount they would take (£5k?) would be subject to a percentage fee, and couldn't be AmEx.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:15 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
For a purchase of £12k I would expect the retailer to be flexible about accepting multiple payments by card, in this case meaning that the OP could pay up to their credit limit, then pay off the card and repeat (unless it's something like buying an F ticket online).

However, not sure if Amex would let the second payment go through especially if it's a new account. But the same applies to preloading the card.

I would suggest informing Amex of the plan before actually enacting it unless the OP has a long history with Amex of spending these amounts, but if this were the case then Amex should give a generous credit limit in the first place.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:17 am

My impression is that it is a card that gives a big limit from the start? Do you have other Amex cards, Amex seem to set more store by your history with them than anything else.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, Sixt Platinum
I have actually done exactly that and can confirm it works.

I've transferred the amount via bank transfer onto the account details that amex provides in the FAQ/Help section. You'll then basically be in "plus" and can pay something worth the "plus" and your normal credit limit (So you transfer 7k, you have a 5k limit, you can spend 12k)

It worked roughly a year ago, I wouldn't know why not anymore
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.