Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Amex is it possible to refer additional card-holder spouse for new card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Amex is it possible to refer additional card-holder spouse for new card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Question BA Amex is it possible to refer additional card-holder spouse for new card?

I have now trawled threads for over an hour hoping to find an answer to my question (and got sidetracked many times ), so apologies if the answer is easy to find and I've missed it! Here goes:

We've had the Premium Plus card in years gone by, but for the last year we concentrated on our Virgin miles so downgraded to the free card. Now with a big BA spend coming up in May it makes sense to get the PP card again. We have the free blue card in my husband's name, with me as an additional card-holder. I know that without 6 months card-free, he won't qualify for the bonus miles offered for taking a new card, so I wondered could he refer me and qualify for the referral bonus (and I would get the 26k miles) even though I am an additional card-holder?

Last edited by twasbrillig; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:27 am Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: Baec
I'm new to all this really but I believe that you can.
I hold the BA Premium Card and have just successfully obtained another card for MrsE. This card is in her own right and we are both supplementary card holders for each other. If you refer for someone I think you get 9k and the applicant gets 26k but may be wrong. You could also try a direct application through topcashbsck as they were offering £47.25 which converts via Tesco to about 12k giving you 37k overall.
As I said though, really new so may not be the best way?

Last edited by Iellis; Mar 2, 2014 at 3:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast response, that does sound very hopeful.

I suppose the best way to find out is to try it out . Trouble is, husband gets a huge credit limit, and the last time we did it (many years ago), I was given £1k limit and couldn't get them to shift on it. So I'll effectively have to pre-load the card with cash (about a £9k BA spend in May) so I can get the additional points for the spend . Not a problem, but a nuisance.

Still, sure it will be worth it ......
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: Baec
Similar situation here, MrsE was given a 2k limit so we have to pay early to clear the balance so we get the 3k spend in in time for the bonus points to click in. As you say, a bit of a nuisance, but we are collecting for Tokyo again and they all count. The main reason to get the second card was for the additional 2-4-1 so once the 3k has arrived it won't be as awkward unless we need a big lump sum spend. Like yourself we will have to pre load or just use mine instead. I have deliberately held back on my ba spend for now so I don't trigger my 2-4-1 too early!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by twasbrillig
So I'll effectively have to pre-load the card with cash (about a £9k BA spend in May) so I can get the additional points for the spend . Not a problem, but a nuisance.
It will be a problem - American Express will cancel cards that are routinely put into large credit balances. "Loading" cards too frequently (i.e. making payments on to them where no money is actually due - or for much more than is actually due) is a money laundering tactic and will very possibly flag your account for cancellation.

EDIT to clarify - what Iellis is doing is different to what twasbrillig is suggesting - Iellis is spending on the card and then making payments throughout the month to pay it off and make room for more spend. I don't think there is a problem with that approach. What they seem to have a problem with is large over-payments that create credit balances on accounts.

Last edited by Magic01273; Mar 2, 2014 at 4:18 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Yes, a blue AmEx cardholder can refer for a BAPP card (and some others). See https://www316.americanexpress.com/i...ource=mgmerHub

However, preloading credit is effectively a no-no.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
I tried to preload my PP online and it wouldn't take a payment

"the payment you are trying to make is more that you owe" something like that
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by olybeast
I tried to preload my PP online and it wouldn't take a payment

"the payment you are trying to make is more that you owe" something like that
You can do it by bank transfer but like others have said Amex don't seem to like it.

Does MBNA care?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Ah, that's very interesting, and something I must look into before I go ahead and get one. Now I think about it, what Iellis does is what I did last time I held one with a low credit limit, ie, cleared the balance before it was due so that I could spend again.

I have other income streams this time I am applying for a card, so there is every chance they will offer me a larger credit limit, but if not, we will just have to forego the 35k miles (9k referral plus 26k new cardholder) and get one in my husband's name instead.

So glad I posted here, and thanks to all of you who replied. Money laundering is something I would never have thought of ......
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Another thought

As pre-loading the card would not be something I would need to do more than once, and for a specific reason, do you think I might be able to arrange to do it over the phone? Anyone have experience with such a thing?

Trouble is, call centres, different folk who have a set script they must keep to, no room for common sense etc etc ...... The last time I tried to get them to lift my credit limit I felt like chucking the phone at the wall - it's all coming back to me now . It made no sense at all - we are about as financially sound as you can get - and felt like they were depriving themselves of business, which is what happened of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.