FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA American express premium plus - pre-overpayment
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:08 am
madfish

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by waldorfmuppet
I realise it's only sort of BA related, but it is all about getting lots of Avios...

Anyway, I wish to make a large purchase - let's say it's £12k - and am hoping to put it on a credit card (for protection and benefits) so I need to find the best option available and was therefore considering the BA Amex Premium Plus card.

I have no idea what credit limit I'll be offered (yet to apply), but for the sake of argument let's say it's £5k.

I have enough money in my bank account to fund the purchase, so was wondering if it was possible with that card to pay £7k or more in advance on to the card (so card has a positive credit balance of £7k), and then make my purchase (using the £7k and my credit limit of £5k)?

From a BA point of view, would that then get me 25k (sign up bonus) + 18k (1.5 Avios per £1 spend) + a companion voucher?
Aren’t you protected just by putting any of the amount on the card?

Amex generally have quite large available balances. But suspect you may need to use a couple of cards for your purchase.