Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't online check-in - API/ESTA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Can't online check-in - API/ESTA?

We're having difficulties check-in in our daughter on a TATL flight. Called BA - they tried too but can't figure out what's wrong. I've checked her ESTA and she has her middlename in the registration. On her ticket she has no middle name but the middle name is in her API. Still the online check-in page asks to eter the API bringing a screen with all the info and re-entering them makes no difference. Any suggestions - other than going to LHR a little earlier and hoping for the best? I am thinking of doing another ESTA with first name only (assuming one can have two ESTAs under the same passport number?).
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
We're having difficulties check-in in our daughter on a TATL flight. Called BA - they tried too but can't figure out what's wrong. I've checked her ESTA and she has her middlename in the registration. On her ticket she has no middle name but the middle name is in her API. Still the online check-in page asks to eter the API bringing a screen with all the info and re-entering them makes no difference. Any suggestions - other than going to LHR a little earlier and hoping for the best? I am thinking of doing another ESTA with first name only (assuming one can have two ESTAs under the same passport number?).
One potential explanation could be SSSS - a secondary security screening conducted at the gate. There are reports here of others being prevented from online check-in for this reason. Best advice would be to head to the airport a little early. If the paper boarding pass says SSSS, your daughter can expect another bag inspection at the gate and potentially some questions.

Also check whether API has the hotel name + street address or address only. There are some other reports here of hotel names causing problems with API so just enter address only.

I dont know for sure, but I wouldnt recommend attempting another ESTA. Feels like the type of thing that could raise a few eyebrows upon arrival in the US that would be best avoided (assuming the ESTA site even allows you to apply using a passport that already has a valid ESTA...Ive never tried).
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GM1985
One potential explanation could be SSSS - a secondary security screening conducted at the gate. There are reports here of others being prevented from online check-in for this reason. Best advice would be to head to the airport a little early. If the paper boarding pass says SSSS, your daughter can expect another bag inspection at the gate and potentially some questions.
SSSS allows you to check in but will not allow issue any bp online or on the app - the bp has to be picked up at the airport. This seems a different issue.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
SSSS allows you to check in but will not allow issue any bp online or on the app - the bp has to be picked up at the airport. This seems a different issue.
Ah, I didnt realise. Been lucky enough to avoid, and only recent experience was when the OH took an EI flight via Dublin which did prevent OLCI due to this. Just assumed (wrongly) BA did the same.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When you spoke with BA, did BA confirm that the e-ticket and reservation (both) are in order? If so, this is simply an issue for resolution at the airport. Allow additional time.

If there is an issue, then now would be the time to resolve it. I would not engage in ESTA-shopping.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GM1985
Ah, I didnt realise. Been lucky enough to avoid, and only recent experience was when the OH took an EI flight via Dublin which did prevent OLCI due to this. Just assumed (wrongly) BA did the same.
I seem to have had a spate of them over the last year with BA. Another flight to the US in a few weeks so I'll see if I can escape this time
GM1985 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I am thinking of doing another ESTA with first name only (assuming one can have two ESTAs under the same passport number?).
Once you apply for a new ESTA the old one is automatically cancelled by the US CBP. Applying before an existing one expires won't cause any issues either.You just lose the validity period left on the old one and the $14 it costs.

It's likely something in the BA APIS data that is causing the issue and will take all of 30 seconds for a check-in agent to resolve
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Thanks to all the suggestions. The same esta didn't have a problem last year and it's not causing problems to the other pax even if the hotel/stay information is now out of date. The BA agent tried himself a few times before giving up; he said that the esta is in order (but can they actually see it?), said the booking is all fine, but to go to the airport earlier. One thing I noticed before trying to check-in was that the pax in question did not have her BA account linked to booking; so I proceeded to update her profile including the passport number before trying to check-in. Maybe updating the profile with an upcoming flight causes this? Who knows.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA do not see an individuals ESTA but they receive a marker from the CBP that the passenger has one. AS BA can see that marker then the issue is not with the ESTA.

They recommend that people update their ESTA with flight and hotel details but that is not mandatory. The important dataset is APIS

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 31, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA do not see an individuals ESTA but they receive a marker from the CBP that the passenger has one. AS BA can see that marker then the issue is not with the ESTA.

They recommend that people update their ESTA with flight and hotel details but that is not mandatory. The important dataset is APIS
So can the agent actually confirm that the ESTA matches the API on file? If so, that's quite reassuring; everything else seems a minor issue. I just don't want the stress of applying for an ESTA at the airport hoping it clears immediately.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ESTA is separate from API.

ESTA is based on passport number and name. BA sends the names and passport numbers electronically to the CPB who cross check their data base and then sends BA a marker to say that they have found a valid ESTA.

As BA have confirmed they can see the marker there is no reason to be applying for a new ESTA.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Also have 2 pax unable to OLCI. ex-ARN tomorrow with a leg to the States the day after. One UK citizen and one US, so shouldn't be ESTA related - do wonder if it's the delayed second leg on a different carrier?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
ESTA is based on passport number and name. BA sends the names and passport numbers electronically to the CPB who cross check their data base and then sends BA a marker to say that they have found a valid ESTA.
As BA have confirmed they can see the marker there is no reason to be applying for a new ESTA.
Great; thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
We're having difficulties check-in in our daughter on a TATL flight. Called BA - they tried too but can't figure out what's wrong. I've checked her ESTA and she has her middlename in the registration. On her ticket she has no middle name but the middle name is in her API. ....
ESTA (or most ETA I'm aware off) require the name as shown in the passport. Same goes for APIS. The ticket doesn't. Have done this many times myself.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:58 pm

Ive had this problem with Tom on ticket name and Thomas on passport/ESTA name. A phonecall to BA has always resolved this though to allow check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.