Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WTP on 747 - worth the extra cost?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser

Could you advise me on the best lounge at LHR T3 while you're about it? Not sure if I've seen it discussed here before

Seen a fair bit of debate as to which is the very best.

(though never seen any debate as to which is the worst ......)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:31 am

I don't believe a 52J 744 will have been refurbished...If I'm correct only the "High J" (70J) 744s were refurbished in their upgrade to Super-High J (86J). I've flown on both the old and refurbished BA 744 Y cabins, and, while I would definitely recommend the latter, I don't think LAS would be likely to have it, and -- more importantly -- can't imagine the old WT+ would be worth the extra money.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:39 am

No is the short answer!
I flew LHR - DXB earlier this week on a 747 of this configuration and it has taken another dive. Yes you get the extra leg room but the cabin was shabby, as others have said the IFE is 10 years out of date but also at least 3 passengers complained it didn't work and they had to reboot several times (I gave up trying). 2nd the service was appalling, they have reduced the service to one crew member doing everything. this meant drinks weren't server until 1:40 after take off, the meal service was a further hour. Menus were not provided as they had loaded the wrong ones and there was no meal choice.

On a positive the food was actually very good and the crew worked extremely hard but clearly Mr Cruz has spotted some more corners that can be cut. Other pax also commented so it wasn't just me. I discussed with the CSD who was very understanding and very pleasant, as was the rest of the crew, but they are just being asked to do to much.

CSD left me with her card to insist I name her on the complaint I shall be lodging as she was embarrassed. The crew where one of the old Long Haul and all experienced but is was clear they were embarrassed to have been put in the position they were.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Schwann
Thank you so much for your valuable response to the OP... by being such a class act smart arse you've been completely unhelpful. Stick around!
Every word of the post is true.

Of Fraser's post, that is.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Oggers
No is the short answer!
I flew LHR - DXB earlier this week on a 747 of this configuration and it has taken another dive. Yes you get the extra leg room but the cabin was shabby, as others have said the IFE is 10 years out of date but also at least 3 passengers complained it didn't work and they had to reboot several times (I gave up trying). 2nd the service was appalling, they have reduced the service to one crew member doing everything. this meant drinks weren't server until 1:40 after take off, the meal service was a further hour. Menus were not provided as they had loaded the wrong ones and there was no meal choice.

On a positive the food was actually very good and the crew worked extremely hard but clearly Mr Cruz has spotted some more corners that can be cut. Other pax also commented so it wasn't just me. I discussed with the CSD who was very understanding and very pleasant, as was the rest of the crew, but they are just being asked to do to much.

CSD left me with her card to insist I name her on the complaint I shall be lodging as she was embarrassed. The crew where one of the old Long Haul and all experienced but is was clear they were embarrassed to have been put in the position they were.
That is pretty darn awful. I wonder how bad service was in economy. But honestly @OP even in light of the understaffed and service issues, you're looking at a flight long enough that I would probably pay it just for the extra legroom and slight width of the seat. I see that you can get exit rows but what will that cost (if anything) as a leisure traveler? I usually see BAEC Golds talking about booking exit rows.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:29 am

i guess it depends what you value. I don't use IFE and am unfussed by food as I often don't bother with the meals, having usually eaten just before boarding. So for me it's all about the extra space - and WT+ is worth a reasonable premium to me even on the old seats. That extra legroom makes a massive difference to me. But as suggested above, everyone has to decide what reasonable means for them.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is there a reason you are looking at BA rather than Virgin or Norwegian? Both could be argued to be superior to BA, and if you're not interested in tier points and avios...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Schwann
Thank you so much for your valuable response to the OP... by being such a class act smart arse you've been completely unhelpful. Stick around!
"Valuable" it may be but as unhelpful as it is my answer is the most correct here, I'm afraid.

If everyone thought WT+ was "worth it" then WT would not exist. We have no way of knowing what the OP values when considering a premium cabin. They might be 5' tall and have no care for legroom, or don't eat or drink onboard, etc. etc. Similarly, we have no idea what the 360 means to them....if that's a week's wages then it probably means a lot more to them than if it's a rounding error on a tip for a meal at The Fat Duck.

Whether something is worth it to someone is a function of their own perception of the value of the benefits. Asking a bunch of strangers on the internet won't help YOU figure out if it's worth it for YOU. That's before you take into the account we're a bunch of oddballs here and fly premium cabins routinely unlike 90% of the population so the results are likely to be skewed much more heavily towards the premium option.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Is there a reason you are looking at BA rather than Virgin or Norwegian? Both could be argued to be superior to BA, and if you're not interested in tier points and avios...
if budget was less of an issue id book Virgin in a flash, but the combo of exEU and a healthy Avios balance means I can go for less than 350 in WTP.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
That is pretty darn awful. I wonder how bad service was in economy. But honestly @OP even in light of the understaffed and service issues, you're looking at a flight long enough that I would probably pay it just for the extra legroom and slight width of the seat. I see that you can get exit rows but what will that cost (if anything) as a leisure traveler? I usually see BAEC Golds talking about booking exit rows.
yes it was darn awful bottom line for OP is if you want leg room and cant get an exit seat in economy and can afford the extra cost then its your choice (ps I'm 6' 2" so I know the value of leg room) but don't expect anything more.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Although I am a lowly Yank, WTP is great for me. Bulkhead aisle on every aircraft for max. Legroom.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I nearly always pick WTP on LH but I make sure I fly on a 787 or A380. Having once done WTP on a 747 I said I would never again and would prefer WT on that aircraft. Simply not worth the money. Those seats have seen their best day 5 years ago.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jday
I nearly always pick WTP on LH but I make sure I fly on a 787 or A380. Having once done WTP on a 747 I said I would never again and would prefer WT on that aircraft. Simply not worth the money. Those seats have seen their best day 15 years ago.
​​​​​​​I corrected that for you
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:49 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I've just had a similar decision myself. The reviews of WTP on 747/777 are absolutely terrible, and the general consensus was that an exit row seat in economy would be a better idea (WTP is 1in wider). I needed 150 tp, so instead of WTP on DUB-LHR-LAS I've gone economy (exit row) on the outbound and CW back via LAX so that it's on the A380 and a modern product (and a decent lounge).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:28 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Not sure if this is even an option for you given TP/Avios, but despite their old 747 Virgins PE is very good to LAS, spacious. Much more comfortable than economy and from what I've read a lot better than BA on this route. And you get to go in the bubble (upper deck).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.