Wiki Posts
Search

WTP on 747 - worth the extra cost?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
WTP on 747 - worth the extra cost?

Never flown WTP on the 747 and wondering when the seat was last updated/refurbished? I'm planning to go to Vegas and believe the variant used is a 4 class 52J.

If the soft product is old and shabby I'd rather go in WT and book the exit rows for legroom.

I'm only ever a leisure traveller so TPs and status aren't relevant.

Also, I'd look at exEU. Are there any hotspots for good fares to LAS?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC
This sounds like the old WTP product if it’s around row 11 (so behind F but in front of J.) then I wouldn’t bother. It’s so dated and awful IFE. Bring an iPad or go in WT and still bring an iPad!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the price difference and how sensitive to pricing are you? WTP is almost always better than WT.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is the price difference and how sensitive to pricing are you? WTP is almost always better than WT.
Price is the biggest constraint. Quoted £420 in Y that down to £230 using some Avios. Seem to recall WTP was about £360 more, before trading in Avios.

If the seat and IFE are the same my last 747 flight around 10 years ago, I'll take my ipad and a good cushion!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For a flight of that length I'd be willing to pay a few hundred £ more for WTP. Exit seats are ok for legroom, but there is not much in the way of width. I'm happier with an overall bigger area for myself.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wb1969
Price is the biggest constraint. Quoted £420 in Y that down to £230 using some Avios. Seem to recall WTP was about £360 more, before trading in Avios.
Is that round-trip? I would be prepared to pay £180 each way for WT+, even on that aircraft.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC
You could take a risk and see if a POUG comes up after booking WT or look at an ex-DUB fare to LAS in WTP.

When are you looking to go?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Honestly, for a flight of that length, it's worth splurging the extra on WTP.

Despite the older cabin fit and IFE, the extra space is welcome, you don't share bathrooms with Y on this config, and the service I feel is a touch better.

Also, the position of the cabin means it's fairly quiet plus you're off early and among the first people to US Border Control.

For all the malign comment on here, the WTP cabin on the 52J ain't all that bad.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Don't know when you're looking to go, but it's often under £600 WT+ from OSL, CPH, GOT, ARN - check the below :

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...c=p;a=ONEWORLD

Yes it's old and tatty, but definitely worth it for a flight of that length. You might also if you book individually have some chance of an OpUp to J as this cabin usually full, and also have the chance to "buy" into J using Avios if Reward seats available.
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I think I need my response to these "is it worth it" questions on permanent Copy+Paste.

Originally Posted by The last time I answered this question for the 1000th time
It's completely subjective so nobody can answer this but you.

Read up the benefits of WT+ over WT and decide for yourself. If BA are asking less than you are willing to pay then yes it is worth it. If they are asking more than you are willing to pay for these benefits then it is not.
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
I think I need my response to these "is it worth it" questions on permanent Copy+Paste.
Thank you so much for your valuable response to the OP... by being such a class act smart arse you've been completely unhelpful. Stick around!
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Could you advise me on the best lounge at LHR T3 while you're about it? Not sure if I've seen it discussed here before

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Sub £500 WTP exEU is tempting and worth holding out for as I'm not planning to go until March next year.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
Sub £500 WTP exEU is tempting and worth holding out for as I'm not planning to go until March next year.
Great - and if time rich - tonnes of routing options inc taking A380 / 789 through LAX
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Don't know when you're looking to go, but it's often under £600 WT+ from OSL, CPH, GOT, ARN - check the below :

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...c=p;a=ONEWORLD

I second this - go ex-Scandinavia for cheaper prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.