Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The Top 10 BAEC members have dinner together. True or False?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Top 10 BAEC members have dinner together. True or False?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Knowing everyone’s phone number in those days was no mean feat. I’ve got about 290 numbers in my phone. I know precisely 2 of them. How things have changed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
.... But I do remember a MF cabin crew, processing a Buy on Board transaction, dropping my phone in shock when she entered my tier point total as my membership number....
That did make me laugh!

Post of the week?
squawk likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
I doubt there are any here. They won't have time to be on Flyertalk 24/7.
Too true !

(might just add : either no time or better things to do with their time )
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

The chap said that the top 10 highest earners, get together for a dinner, at BA's expense.
What are the chances they would all get their first meal choice?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Getting the top 10 TP earners to be in the same location at the same time would be laughably difficult! They'd have to offer Ł100k incentive per person to their employer to miss their appointment or something

That in itself suggests a porky or a misunderstanding - most likely a misunderstanding or a Chinese whisper that turned "some of the top 3,000", like the GGL lunch/dinner etc.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 17, 2018 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Usually for companies with identified key account management, there'll be a list of events that people are offered. I had some of this in my pro-gambler days, sometimes my account manager would offer something, sometimes I'd ask if they had anything coming up because I fancied a day out, sometimes there'd be a mass shindig like Cheltenham with a general invitation. I expect BA work in a similar way. I doubt it's a fixed invitation list.

It'd be fun to turn up with Bronze baggage tags and attempt to talk your way in on the basis there are probably a few no-shows I guess.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:32 am

Reckoning the top 10 have to be high-end business, social, and/or government figures who: A) have more than enough of these events to attend for other causes, including ones that they have personal interests in; B) they are likely not airline nerds like us and do not care enough to go to some fancy dinner to celebrate flying often/prestigiously; C) just too busy in general.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Does BA tell it's top 10 travelers of their position? I had met someone at a cocktail party who told me that he had been informed he was Lufthansa's second most frequent flyer the year prior, he took a weekly trip between SFO and and FRA. I told him I knew the person who was told he was the third most frequent flyer on the airline, who took a weekly flight between HKG and FRA. Turned out they knew each other (different industries).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds like the type of thing they'd organise for their Premiers rather than a bunch of people who don't necessarily fly BA a lot.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sounds like the type of thing they'd organise for their Premiers rather than a bunch of people who don't necessarily fly BA a lot.
I don't think all the Premiers fly a lot as they come with the "Office Holder" rather than the travel, eg MD of XYZ plc
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Reckoning the top 10 have to be high-end business, social, and/or government figures who: A) have more than enough of these events to attend for other causes, including ones that they have personal interests in; B) they are likely not airline nerds like us and do not care enough to go to some fancy dinner to celebrate flying often/prestigiously; C) just too busy in general.
This !

I’m also put in mind of the wonderful Groucho’s memorable comment.
Opinion varies as to its precise origin, though the general consensus is that the words were indeed his own

I Don’t Want to Belong to Any Club That Will Accept Me as a Member“

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/0...oucho-resigns/
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by antichef
I don't think all the Premiers fly a lot as they come with the "Office Holder" rather than the travel, eg MD of XYZ plc
Far more clout I suppose.

I got an invitation to a BA event held by the British Ambassador in Buenos Aires many years ago. They must have been desperately short of guests!!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
I used to be a bearded man top flier, almost weekly lhr to sfo commute on vs20 for 2 years plus occasional nrt or jfk trips. Richard invited people to his house or to various events. Was in the days of vs/continental tie up. Generated super high status on continental which was useful but not much benefit on vs other than nice dinners..
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I got an invitation to a BA event held by the British Ambassador in Buenos Aires many years ago. They must have been desperately short of guests!!
My ex-wife had AF/KL Platinum for a while and when AF started flying the A380 to IAD earlier in the decade we were invited to the French Ambassador's residence in DC. Whilst others struggled to find parking I just pulled up in front of the residence and blagged a spot Luckily at the time I was driving the kind of car where I could get away with such things. It was a pretty amazing cocktail party with the crew and AF/KL bigwigs, giant ice sculptures of the A380 etc.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
At a guess I would say this may be true.

At a guess, I would say it may not be!

As others have mentioned, BA and other airlines do organise multiple events for very frequent and ultra frequent flyers with various degrees of frequency and privacy. At that level of custom, however, TP "league" is most unlikely to be the airline's main concern.
TyneTraveller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.