Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Was there any element of service you didn't get? Your first choice taken or refills not offered?
Well, I'd be miffed if service was delayed due to the "intruder" being served!
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I find generally just having a guest hovering around is annoying. To me First is about exclusivity and I would, after a short time, ask for the exclusivity to be maintained. A quick drink normally doesn't annoy me but guests staying too long can be annoying. On a flight to Hong Kong last year a cling on (crew companion) was moved to first during pushback, which didn't annoy me, but after take off one of the First Officer came to chat with her for about an hour in the buddy seat. It was just in my eye line of my IFE and the flirting and gesturing got a bit annoying to the point I asked the CSL if the First Class cabin was now a crew lounge. The FO then moved.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by offtothehills
Well, I'd be miffed if service was delayed due to the "intruder" being served!
Indeed, I have only once had a guest in F, but I made sure we didn't intrude on anyone. I would expect the same from other people having guests.
If the service was good, meals happened as they are supposed to, and guest isn't loud, I DON'T see a reason to object, unless one is just jealous and think it somehow diminished their F experience, small people... can't be happy without making others unhappy - same as the quiet coaches on trains...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I'm with nufnuf77 on this, I think if the guest is respectful, quiet and service isn't affected I'd have no problems with it. Ultimately, if you were in the same position as that person I'm 100% sure you'd consider doing it, even if just to show off your little part of heaven in the sky.

I know I would...

I've seen this happening where parents had booked themselves into F and put their kids down the back, and spent half of the flight ferrying free stuff backwards, and visiting each other noisily. I was a staff upgrade from Standby Y to J, so I didn't really see it from the view of a paying F/J pax, but I was still getting miffed by the noisy thoroughfare.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:21 am

If you want a OW "bar in the sky", fly Qatar.

If you want space and tranquility, fly BA.

Err, with 14 F in a 747 nose maybe that should just be "relative space, compared to others classes which are available * " and tranquility.

* Actually - although I have never been upstairs on an aircraft (F in MH's A380 is downstairs) - my wife has just been to and from Denver in 64A and 64K and now says she'd rather that than the usual F. Felt there was more space and tranquility there.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I had this on a trip to Atlanta. I was in 2A, the bloke in 1A was travelling with loads of colleagues to some insurance shindig, and had all his mates from CW join him at the front of the cabin for drinks and giggles. It was really disruptive, they were getting very drunk, being very "laddy" and being a general nuisance. It was liking watching a stag do. Complained (as did others in the cabin), they were turfed out, but then kept coming back, people kept complaining - repeat until landing.

The flipside is that bad experience has made me very self conscious in that regard. I was travelling to somewhere else in the US, colleague was in WT+, I was in First, and she joined me (with the crew's blessing) for a post-takeoff G&T and nuts, whispered talking, and she was gone back to her cabin after 20 minutes or so.

So to answer the OP, yes, I'd ask the crew if they'd mind a very quiet and brief visit, and be mindful that there may be people in the cabin who will be aggrieved that people from the cheap seats are in their domain
offtothehills, wrp96 and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Hello
I'm travelling First Class (daytime flight from Tokyo) and wondered if anyone has had any experience in inviting a friend from another cabin (in my case, WT) to join for a short while for a drink.
Look forward to your comments/experiences.
as others have said it can be done with crew permission. Generally it is not permitted during meal service and bear in mind a day light for you is sleeping time for Europeans for the first half of a Tokyo London so a good crew might refuse you until you’re a few hours from London, so be prepared for that too.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I had this on a trip to Atlanta. I was in 2A, the bloke in 1A was travelling with loads of colleagues to some insurance shindig, and had all his mates from CW join him at the front of the cabin for drinks and giggles. It was really disruptive, they were getting very drunk, being very "laddy" and being a general nuisance. It was liking watching a stag do. Complained (as did others in the cabin), they were turfed out, but then kept coming back, people kept complaining - repeat until landing.

The flipside is that bad experience has made me very self conscious in that regard. I was travelling to somewhere else in the US, colleague was in WT+, I was in First, and she joined me (with the crew's blessing) for a post-takeoff G&T and nuts, whispered talking, and she was gone back to her cabin after 20 minutes or so.

So to answer the OP, yes, I'd ask the crew if they'd mind a very quiet and brief visit, and be mindful that there may be people in the cabin who will be aggrieved that people from the cheap seats are in their domain
I had a very similar experience a few years ago on a flight to LAS. There was one guy in F, but his family (3 or 4 other guys) spent a lot of time around his seat, generally being annoying to other passengers (some of them complained). I went to the galley at one point, and one of them had the poor flustered CSM in a bear hug!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I will allow visits at times that I feel are appropriate, the visitor and the customer travelling in First will be told how long the visitor can stay where they can sit and what they can be served.
PETER01 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I've invited friends from WT, after agreement from the CSD, but I wouldn't dream of inviting more than 2 guests, or for longer than it takes to drink a glass of champagne!
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I will allow visits at times that I feel are appropriate, the visitor and the customer travelling in First will be told how long the visitor can stay where they can sit and what they can be served.

Is it policy/procedure that any visits to F must go through the CSD or CSM or can a Senior CC member 'authorise' it?

I'm just genuinely curious, thanks
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes, we must give our approval.
LCSinTexas and Lucanesque like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes, we must give our approval.
Thanks Can I help you. ^
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I see no reason for allowing such a thing no matter how short the visit is.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:41 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I agree with Hiddy. If you want to sit in first then dip your hand in your pocket and pay the price of a F ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.