FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1898152-ba-first-class-cabin-invite-friend-wt.html)

Voda_boy Mar 11, 2018 3:25 am

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

Hello
I'm travelling First Class (daytime flight from Tokyo) and wondered if anyone has had any experience in inviting a friend from another cabin (in my case, WT) to join for a short while for a drink.
Look forward to your comments/experiences.

Flexible preferences Mar 11, 2018 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Voda_boy (Post 29510180)
Hello
I'm travelling First Class (daytime flight from Tokyo) and wondered if anyone has had any experience in inviting a friend from another cabin (in my case, WT) to join for a short while for a drink.
Look forward to your comments/experiences.

Yes, I've done it. It is up to the CSD/CSM on the day.

stu1985 Mar 11, 2018 3:31 am

Just ask the crew. I'm pretty sure they will allow it if it's not disrupting the service they are giving to F passengers.

Confus Mar 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Depends on aircraft type...
On anything *other than* a 789, then yes, no problem, if at a suitable time.
The 789 has the new F seats without a 'buddy' seat, so no guests (or buddy dining) will be available.

UKtravelbear Mar 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Please don't.

There are other passengers in F to consider.

flyuk Mar 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Yeah, don't bring that WT rabble up front, they might get delusions of grandeur and take a crass leak in our posh toilets.

sts603 Mar 12, 2018 1:02 am

In all of my F flights I’ve seen this one. A J passenger joined in F for an hour after take off. The two guzzled LPGS at an alarming rate and spoke at high volume. My pregnant wife who wanted to rest was hugely annoyed. I politely complained to the crew and the passenger was shown back to J within five minutes. In my view this practice should not be allowed full stop.

orbitmic Mar 12, 2018 1:09 am

There are quite a few threads on that actually so worth a search if you want all the details on the how, when, what, for how long etc. (Typically short visit of 15-20 minutes, not during mealtime or night but some specific times are considered easier by crew, your guest will be offered one drink etc)

Jonnyboy68 Mar 12, 2018 1:50 am

This happened to me recently on a awful First FIRST to MIA .Passenger complaining they couldn’t get a seat in a sold out F cabin for their friend -fast forward a hour and friend joined him for drinks and entire meal service and basically the crew member focused all their attention on them(her first time serving in F) imo yes come up for a drink but full meal no because it is obviously going to impact on other customers.

simons1 Mar 12, 2018 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Jonnyboy68 (Post 29513500)
This happened to me recently on a awful First FIRST to MIA .

An awful First? Come on now.

themax Mar 12, 2018 3:09 am

I've seen this play out many times in various combinations, and at the end of the day it really is up to the CSM/CSD. From what I have been told (when asking the same question to the CSM) is that officially BA requires it's passengers to remain in their class of travel for the entirety of their flight. This is due to a number of civil aviation rules, safety reasons (load balancing, etc) and to maintain the exclusivity of their premium cabins. That said, I have seen numerous attempts by F customers in the past to have a non-F passenger join them in the F cabin. More often then not, the CSM has allowed this (sometimes to the annoyance of other F passengers). I think the golden rules are these:

1) Always ask the permission of the CSM first, and
2) Make sure you and your guest keep your voices down and profile low. (you can be 100% sure that if you are noisy or disruptive and another F passenger complains the CSM will surely (but politely) ask your guest to leave.)

Greenpen Mar 12, 2018 3:29 am

I think the practice should be banned. A few years ago she was in F and he was in, somewhere else, but he visited her five or six times during the flight, standing by her seat and chatting.

It it just felt intrusive and quite soon irritating.

offtothehills Mar 12, 2018 4:14 am

The F pax should instead visit the other pax's cabin:)

Phil the Flyer Mar 12, 2018 4:26 am

Originally Posted by offtothehills (Post 29513761)
The F pax should instead visit the other pax's cabin:)

+1 ^

nufnuf77 Mar 12, 2018 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Jonnyboy68 (Post 29513500)
This happened to me recently on a awful First FIRST to MIA .Passenger complaining they couldn’t get a seat in a sold out F cabin for their friend -fast forward a hour and friend joined him for drinks and entire meal service and basically the crew member focused all their attention on them(her first time serving in F) imo yes come up for a drink but full meal no because it is obviously going to impact on other customers.

Was there any element of service you didn't get? Your first choice taken or refills not offered?