Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Multi Carrier Award Taxes and Availability Query

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Afternoon all!

I have a Multi Carrier Award booked for March on CX, QF and BA LHR-HKG-TPE-HKG-PER/SIN-LHR.

It's a mix of First, Biz and PE, but priced as a Biz ticket on the award chart. Annoyingly the HKG-TPE-HKG legs got downgraded from Biz to First because of equipment changes, no avios or tax refunded (which sounds correct to me).

The PE leg is HKG-PER on CX for which Biz availability has opened up today.

I called up today to have that leg upgraded, and after a good 20 minutes on the phone because they couldn't see the availability I could see online (apparently the agent wasn't searching one world partners, not sure why!), they came back to confirm they could upgrade into business, and would offer to waive the additional avios (there wouldn't be any payable...) but that I would have to pay additional tax of ~£90.

I checked the tax amount by searching the redemption online as a standalone flight, it is £39.80 for Econ and PE, and £40.60 for Biz. All the other flights in my itinerary are First and Biz so it just doesn't seem to make sense that an 80p difference suddenly becomes £90... In case it's helpful, the entire taxes for the whole ticket were about £550.

Maybe I'm missing some logic here so would love to get your thoughts.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Just a wee Saturday morning bump!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Just pay the taxes! It can be due to currency differences. You would have paid in £ but actual taxes are in other currencies, but if the exchange rate moved unfavourably since your original booking this has to be adjusted when reticketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.