Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis car rental through BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I find Avis preferred can work really well, like in the US, or poorly to not at all elsewhere.

Spookily, I've just been looking at a booking for USA in June this year. Prices are the same directly through Avis (pay now) or through BA MMB - but it is worth looking closely at the amendment and cancellation policies via each method. With Avis, cancellations are free up until collection for pay later, or up to T-48hrs for pay now. This is what I got via BA:

Just to confuse matters further, going through carhire-ba.com, it says no cars available!
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Also a fan of Avis Preferred though in US often have to go to desk so they can inspect my British driving licence. No problems with the booking adding itself to my Avis account when booking as part of a BAH (if I've added my avis number).

I would not make a stand-alone car booking through BA Holidays. As vintagepilot points out the cancellation/amendment conditions are onerous. I have found in the last year that the price has plummeted when I get closer to the start date of the rental making it attractive to rebook and cancel a booking made direct with Avis. Had to rebook and then wait for refund of original booking but it all worked fine.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Iamnotlost; Feb 9, 2023 at 9:12 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Avis car through BA holidays flight change

Booked at car through BA holidays for pick up at Glasgow Airport. Been notified (incredibly) that BA has changed the flight into Glasgow by one hour later. Additionally return fight earlier by some 3 hours. Not overly bothered by the time change and can I just continue with the Avis rental (picking up around an hour or so later and drop of earlier? Not bothered as great price for car and business seats on the airplane.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:38 am

IIRC, I can book an Avis car and add my BAEC number at the counter to claim some Avios.

Im in the US at the moment and have a Budget car. Budget and Avis now appear to be the same company. Can I still claim some points with Budget?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
Originally Posted by nivsy
Booked at car through BA holidays for pick up at Glasgow Airport. Been notified (incredibly) that BA has changed the flight into Glasgow by one hour later. Additionally return fight earlier by some 3 hours. Not overly bothered by the time change and can I just continue with the Avis rental (picking up around an hour or so later and drop of earlier? Not bothered as great price for car and business seats on the airplane.
You should be fine as long as it's not outside the operating hours of the rental station which you should be able to check on the Avis website. A lot of airport stations have an out-of-hours drop box to leave the key upon return if they are closed (and not locked behind a fence), but not for pickup.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Also a fan of Avis Preferred though in US often have to go to desk so they can inspect my British driving licence.
Oddly I'm not a huge fan of Preferred in the US. Why? I find that to speed up pickup, they pre-allocate your car and tell you the bay where it's parked on the Avis app or by email, then you get there and realise you never wanted that car. At least when you queue up you can often pick/choose a car. Or upgrade.

I thought the entire point of Preferred is you don't have to queue and it's all handled digitally via the app/email?

I never get Avis asking to see my driving license, apart from when you pickup the car and drive out the garage and you get to the barrier where you show your booking and license and they check it at the exit before lifting the barrier, to make sure you're the right person picking up the right car with the right booking. I never have to go to the Avis or Hertz desk in the US?
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by chriswiles; Mar 31, 2023 at 8:14 am
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:35 pm

I have an upcoming BAH trip with an avis car rental (for double points) to Germany and as it is a late evening sunday flight, I am thinking of enjoying some drinks in the lounge and onboard and staying at an airport hotel on arrival. Hence picking up the keys and car the following day. Does anyone know if Avis would be ok with this? or would it be classed as a 'no show' and they would cancel the hire.

Alternatively I could just pick up the keys on the night and then the car the following day, not sure if that would upset them more...

I would declare it to them in advance, though I think that would cause more problems for the points (as I have only booked a 5 night trip) and I assume they would change the booking and it would be visible to BA
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Oddly I'm not a huge fan of Preferred in the US. Why? I find that to speed up pickup, they pre-allocate your car and tell you the bay where it's parked on the Avis app or by email, then you get there and realise you never wanted that car. At least when you queue up you can often pick/choose a car. Or upgrade.
If you don't like the assigned vehicle you can just walk up to the preferred booth (usually close to where the cars are) and ask for something else.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles

I thought the entire point of Preferred is you don't have to queue and it's all handled digitally via the app/email?

I never get Avis asking to see my driving license, apart from when you pickup the car and drive out the garage and you get to the barrier where you show your booking and license and they check it at the exit before lifting the barrier, to make sure you're the right person picking up the right car with the right booking. I never have to go to the Avis or Hertz desk in the US?
You just go to the office that is located where the hire cars are parked. They can upgrade you there easy.. without any fuss.. and I have had an free upgrade every time i have used the preferred system a few times they have said pick any car you like!! .. so i did..
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by allycat53
Make sure your credit card details are in and up to date on your preferred account even if it is paid for through BA already. Avis will pre-authorise an amount from the card sometime before the pickup time (possibly while you are in the air). If the pre-auth fails then the message you get on the preferred pickup digital display board is not where your car is, but to go to the service desk. If there is a decicated preferred service area and it is open then that may be ok, but if you arrived at, say, IND late in the evening and the dedicated desk (cabin) is closed, you get pushed to the standard Avis/Budget line with one agent and 20 people in front of you, each taking an average of 13 minutes to process (yes, I timed it). As a preferred member you should be able to queue jump but only if they have more than one agent and one is at a preferred desk.

NB If you happen to have a Mastercard World Elite credit card (eg the Barclaycard Avios Plus card and some others), then Avis will bump you up to President's Club level if you apply here ... https://www.avis-preferred.com/mastercard/

NBB They don't actually ask for proof that you hold a MC World Elite card

Just checked that out

Thanks..

Last edited by bLaZeR666_uk; Jul 27, 2023 at 8:19 am Reason: Because
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:16 am

I've moved back to Hertz. My last three Avis experiences have been awful:

1) AUS in March. Booked online, Avis Preferred, allocated a car and bay, walk to the rental garage, bay empty, Avis rep clueless saying "someone must have taken it!" and direct me to back of a long queue. One hour later I have a dirty recently returned coupe which isn't from the group I requested (SUV). They also admit, which I didn't realise at the time, despite being allocated a car/bay, anyone can choose your car if they don't like their allocated car, as long as it's from their group. .... What's the point of allocating a bay if anyone can pick any car?

2) MYK in June. Booked an automatic from Group G. Turn up to be given a battered Group C car as it's the 'only automatic car left'. Not a biggie, but felt a bit embarrassed turning up to the Myconian O hotel in a tiny battered car. Wasn't what I'd booked. Why allow you to book a particular group of car when they don't have one?

3) IBZ in July. Booked online in my Avis account, filled out QuickPass online, got a call from Avis Spain to confirm. Day before flight, noticed it had disappeared from my Avis account (but didn't panic as I had my booking confirmation), turned up at IBZ airport to find it isn't on their system even though I show them my booking ("not sent to us on the intranet" they insisted). One car left (big SUV ironically), charged me the regular rate! Get back to the UK, no Avis booking on my account and no-one knows how it was cancelled - no doubt by Avis Spain by mistake. Avis IBZ claimed that they are independent (franchise I guess) and rely on the booking being passed to them. No booking on their intranet = no car allocated.

What a mess. Never had an issue with Hertz or Europcar. Is it me or is Avis really poor? I noticed in the latest Travel + Leisure Avis isn't in the US top 5 for car rentals. Hertz was though.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by bLaZeR666_uk
You just go to the office that is located where the hire cars are parked. They can upgrade you there easy.. without any fuss.. and I have had an free upgrade every time i have used the preferred system a few times they have said pick any car you like!! .. so i did..
Erm, see above! Without fuss? 😲

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.