Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis car rental through BA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:52 am

Exhuming this thread to ask if AVIS has returned to its on-site parking in T5 or if it's still down the Perimeter road... does anybody know?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Over Christmas/Early New Year Avis were at T5 - although when I dropped the car off it was a key-drop rather any service. At that time it seemed like an on-call service (staff were only there if expecting anyone). https://www.avis.co.uk/avis-coronavirus-advice# has the latest information (scroll down to the "Can I still hire a car, are all your UK rental stations still open?" section).
13901 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:15 am

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Can anyone advise me on cancellation policy when booking via BA?

I'm going to make a 2-4-1 booking for December to Atlanta (So no risk if travel isn't allowed), but what if I book a car via BA, would I be eligible for a full refund if travel wasn't permitted?

I'm struggling to see anything on the BA T&C's
Old Mar 31, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I was told it is £35 to cancel.
This was done when booking the inward leg of a 2-4-1 trip for October.
There is free cancellation when booking online (www.carhire-ba.com) but the quote was higher.
Thrifty Scotsman likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Anyone had any issues adding an Avis license plate to Sunpass?

I am getting an error saying that the tag is registered to another account.

Not had any issues with the previous 2 cars, but this one had the etoll holder in. I have closed that and stuck up my own transponder - but I can't add the tag to sunpass account.

Just wondering if anyone here has had a problem.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I book my hire car through BA for Avis (it's £78 cheaper than Avis direct....) is it simple enough to add to my Avis preferred account ?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes. I believe there is a field for you to add the Avis Preferred number when booking.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If I book my hire car through BA for Avis (it's £78 cheaper than Avis direct....) is it simple enough to add to my Avis preferred account ?
Works flawless. Will appear in the app automatically
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow amazing - thanks both. Despite using Avis for yonks through BA or direct - was met with outrageous queues at both LAX and LAS over Christmas so signed up for Preferred and having used it once since found it superb !
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, EI, VS
Wow amazing - thanks both. Despite using Avis for yonks through BA or direct - was met with outrageous queues at both LAX and LAS over Christmas so signed up for Preferred and having used it once since found it superb !
Make sure your credit card details are in and up to date on your preferred account even if it is paid for through BA already. Avis will pre-authorise an amount from the card sometime before the pickup time (possibly while you are in the air). If the pre-auth fails then the message you get on the preferred pickup digital display board is not where your car is, but to go to the service desk. If there is a decicated preferred service area and it is open then that may be ok, but if you arrived at, say, IND late in the evening and the dedicated desk (cabin) is closed, you get pushed to the standard Avis/Budget line with one agent and 20 people in front of you, each taking an average of 13 minutes to process (yes, I timed it). As a preferred member you should be able to queue jump but only if they have more than one agent and one is at a preferred desk.

NB If you happen to have a Mastercard World Elite credit card (eg the Barclaycard Avios Plus card and some others), then Avis will bump you up to President's Club level if you apply here ... https://www.avis-preferred.com/mastercard/

NBB They don't actually ask for proof that you hold a MC World Elite card
AgEngineer and bLaZeR666_uk like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much for this allycat53 - all noted and very helpful. I've added my Mastercard World Elite to my profile

Will see in a few days if it updates !
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Yes. I believe there is a field for you to add the Avis Preferred number when booking.
There is indeed a field to add your preferred account in on the BA booking, but I had a rental made in January where I had omitted it by accident and emailed the preferred email address and they linked them for me no issue and I could then see it in my account. Full Preferred car ready service on pick up as expected last week.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:29 am

Avis Cancellation

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Can anyone advise me on cancellation policy when booking via BA?

I'm going to make a 2-4-1 booking for December to Atlanta (So no risk if travel isn't allowed), but what if I book a car via BA, would I be eligible for a full refund if travel wasn't permitted?

I'm struggling to see anything on the BA T&C's
I cancelled a Florida booking well in advance last March and was surprised to find out that Avis bookings are now actually part of BA Holidays. Instead of being able to cancel with no fee (as previously), I had to accept a voucher that had a 12 month validity. I just used it for this month and my new booking was £12 less, which they refunded to my card
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC
My first and continued experience of using a Preferred account has been great and seem to always avoid queues (long may that continue) but as suggested it’s good have the account all up to date including bank card and driving licence.

I only go to a desk to swap cars as I’m fussy about cars and it’s nice to see what’s on offer in the booked category.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.