Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis car rental through BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Had an Avis hire booked using Avios in Brisbane couple of weeks ago, and there was no honouring second free driver. Only $12 a day and couldn’t find paperwork to prove otherwise.

Just booked and paid for an Avis hire using cash in BA.com for Tampa next month, and again, when booking didn’t see it state second driver free.

Has this benefit stopped? Will we need to pay for an additional driver ?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Are you Avis Preferred? Not sure that's relevant, but might be a factor.

Note: OH doesn't drive, so not expert in this area.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Still listed as a benefit here: https://www.carhire-ba.com/avis-benefits

I had it honoured (without asking, unusually) in Spain a couple of weeks ago.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Blue
We've had some excellent deals booking Avis through BA for our last few US vacations.
My only grievance is that I always have to phone to get the booking added to my Preferred account and I can't add Roadside Assistance until I pick the vehicle up.
And make sure you don't get charged again when returning the car!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
It looks like, for some locations, only Budget rentals are now offered - I have upcoming bookings in Miami and Funchal which were originally booked with Avis cars. I noted that if I try and book the same again, (or book separate car hire in either location via avisba.com) only Budget options are offered - no Avis cars.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lewincg
It looks like, for some locations, only Budget rentals are now offered - I have upcoming bookings in Miami and Funchal which were originally booked with Avis cars. I noted that if I try and book the same again, (or book separate car hire in either location via avisba.com) only Budget options are offered - no Avis cars.
have you tried using the old avisba.com website? Looks like it is still offering Avis only cars.........
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:51 am

I had the same problem (only Budget vehicles) when using avisba.com for a rental in Miami. I booked directly through BA .com and was offered Avis vehicles at the same price. YMMV.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I've been refused it a few times ( never really been that bothered ) ... but will try again in CPT this week and see if it works ... I guess the desk agents at Avis aren't keen to honour as they get commission on free extra drivers etc.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
No issue with Rental agents honouring the extra driver on the BA Holidays rental in CPT earlier this month if that's of any use to anyone .. It wasn't proactively offered, but once I asked no problem at all.

Another question though ... for the ( unfortunately usual with Avis South Africa ) incorrect charges that they then try to apply after the fact .. how do you complain in this case ... previously I've complained via Avis UK , though I think this was on direct bookings rather than via BA Holidays - can I do this in this case or do I have to do so via BA in the first instance ? ... At least this time they were upfront about the issue saying that there's now a 'valet charge' which they apply if there's any sand at all in the vehicle when I returned the car .. this is a new one on me and a bit weird in a relatively seaside location - the guy advised me to write on the form that I wasn't told about this charge at check in ( I wasn't and there was no mention of specific on the rental agreement ) and said he'd get it removed, but evidently didn't ... I returned the car clean though there was a small amount of sand in the footwell on the driver's side .. really nothing much at all and the car was not at all dirty inside in my estimation .. less than you'd expect from 10 days with the car and 4 passengers by the sea! ... I also had to argue the toss with them about a 'tire cut' which was almost invisible to the naked eye ( about the size of the head of a ballpoint pen!) though that didn't seem to come through ( yet!)

Anyway It's not much ( R415 - so just over £20) but it's the principle of the thing coupled with the fact that pretty much every time I've dropped a car back with Avis in SA there's always something ( refuelling charges, dodgy damage charges ) that I have to dispute later ... also ironically ( though understandably ) they aren't cleaning the outside of their cars themselves these days due to ongoing water restrictions .. they can hardly complain and charge for having to do a bit of light vacuuming on the inside !
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:22 am

I think it is a bit of a con in CPT. They tried to sting me for windscreen insurance once, not a large amount but not highlighted on the rental docs. I just contacted Avis and a refund was made.

Regarding damage, I always check the car before I drive away and get any significant damage indicated on the docs. I always photograph the vehicle on return and ensure that the staff see me doing so. It works for me and reduces any chance of future scams.
bLaZeR666_uk likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:31 am

I previously rented a car through Avis & BA hols from PLZ. Dropped the car back to CPT 10 days later and when I went to return the keys was told there was a 3 hour wait which would mean I missed the flight home. I handed them the keys and I took a video of a walk around the car, as I had done when I first picked it up. About 6 weeks later there was a charge for over €300 on my credit card from Avis. When I contacted them they initially told me it was due to damage & when I told them I had before / after videos they told me they’d have to get back to me. They then said it was due to speeding fines they’d paid on my behalf. Ultimately I disputed it through my bank as Avis couldn’t produce any evidence and Visa refunded me but it left a rather sour taste.

Next month I’ve car hire organised from CPT, again with BA & Avis after booking with the excellent F promotion last year but I’m returning it in downtown Cape Town in the hope of negating such issues. Fingers crossed
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Another question though ... for the ( unfortunately usual with Avis South Africa ) incorrect charges that they then try to apply after the fact .. how do you complain in this case ... previously I've complained via Avis UK , though I think this was on direct bookings rather than via BA Holidays - can I do this in this case or do I have to do so via BA in the first instance ?
Whenever I have booked direct with a rental company I haven’t had any overcharging issues.

When I book through BA I almost systematically end of with either (a) an overcharge afterwards (b) an attempt to overcharge at check in or at return or (c) a decline or additional charge for the complimentary driver.

Maybe this is correlated to the location rather than the BA holidays vs direct. Holiday locations and less developed markets are notorious for trying it on. It’s less the case at YVR, GVA or SYD.

In any case, I never bother with Avis UK or Avis local. I only deal with BA Holidays who have always been excellent in their service.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:05 am

Avis UK emailed me the invoice so I emailed it back to them with a complaint as that was simpler than calling up BA holidays .. let's see where it goes ... My impression of previous rounds of this is that Avis UK know exactly what Avis South Africa are up to and they need to ask them to justify them, which they won't / can't and then they'll issue a refund

[ Previous rounds of this involved 'damage' noticed after the fact ( and non - existent ) by Avis in CPT as well as spurious refuelling charges from Avis in JNB ... it's just hassle and I think they try it on with many customers in the knowledge that many/most won't challenge it / notice it and they get away with it ] .. The one time I actually had genuine damage issues with a car ( chipped windscreen then becoming a large crack en route from CPT to Port Elizabeth) they were very efficient organising a replacement vehicle and the damage charges were very reasonable and covered by Amex insurance anyway
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC
AVIS at Lisbon

Does anyone have any experience they can share of AVIS at Lisbon. The reviews I looked at do seem quite negative.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I have often rented with Avis from Lisbon Airport (typically 4 times a year). It’s worth having Preferred membership as the main car hire counters all get busy at peak times. One rental last summer they had an issue of having very cars available (which seemed to be a problem with access to the garage preventing people returning cars on time which affected all the companies). But other than that I have always had excellent efficient service and good cars.
plunet and mattzarchy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.