Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour has it that

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Forgive me but I don’t quite understand why longevity in a company is a ‘big mistake.’ There are plenty of senior managers in long standing businesses who have been with the company since day dot or a long term position with successful businesses/products/services that customers still enjoy and want.

I agree that you have be ahead of the game. But cultures are great and if fully immersed you understand it better and can therefore deliver the cultural values and changes needed to stay ahead.

Also I’m not sure why you feel, due to lack of the full picture, that it’s good this one individual has left but I’m not in that picture and she’s left so not really worth the discussion now! Maybe the leader is someone not worth being lead by in the persons eyes, whoever they might be.

Regardless It’s sad to see valued colleagues leave any great business.
People get stale if they spend too long in one company - known fact - also when they move to their next role that they often have trouble adapting to new culture and stay a short time! It is the job after that where they settle for longer
icegirl likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CharlotteC

Some People get stale if they spend too
I’ve corrected that for you
Sealink and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:26 am

People get stale if they spend too long in one company - known opinion
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

People get stale if they spend too long in one company - known fact
Please do not include me in your subset of "people". After 29 years, I still look forward to work when jumping out of bed.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I agree with waterhorse and Harry. Long service can be a very good thing. After I left one big Corporate, which had, in the past, valued long service, the whole ethos was changed and they started to employ short termist characters who wanted 2 or 3 years on their cv, before they moved on, with their bonus in their back pockets. The business performance went downhill after a couple of years, and they were taken over cheaply.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:28 am

[QUOTE=rockflyertalk;29449472]

I’ve corrected that for you
[/QUOTE

Thank you
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:18 am

Surprised I didn't turn into bread and butter pudding.

You're quite right Charlotte , loyalty is frowned upon these days.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm an old fogey compared to many in my trade (IT). Having worked for the same company for 11 years (after working as a contractor for 18 years), I'd dread having to move to another company filled with young, beardy, tattooed engineers
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The world of commerce is, unsurprisingly, beyond my ken. In the military world, you were promoted for performance, or stayed where you were until pension age whilst still being useful in whatever role you were sent to .. every 2.5 years, typically. There was no mechanism (short of Courts Martial) for moving down the ladder ... people were just posted to less significant appointments, and stayed the course until pensionable!

Essentially, in all the Services, it was 2.5 years in post and then ... move on, to garner more experience in a different environment/role. I had some serious role shifts in my 30 years!

Last edited by T8191; Feb 23, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Please do not include me in your subset of "people". After 29 years, I still look forward to work when jumping out of bed.
This isn't true. I worked for the same company for 16 years and loved it. Every day was interesting (even if interesting meant a terrible day)... I regret leaving.

Sorry: I quoted the wrong post!

Last edited by Sealink; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sealink
This isn't true. I worked for the same company for 16 years and loved it. Every day was interesting (even if interesting meant a terrible day)... I regret leaving.

Sorry: I quoted the wrong post!
ah...I got a bit confused for a split second.

I believe most long term roles aren’t full of stale people at all (In fact I find that rather insulting to anyone in that bracket) but the short-termism many corporate companies have nowadays is all based on get in and get out attitudes whilst pocketing a big bonus and lining shareholders pockets!

Now some may think thats all wonderful if you’re a shareholder or the person getting the bonus but longer term that plan is flawed and short sighted.

So long term placements can yield far greater, longer term, results overall that aren’t stale but even more-so are in fresh full flavour for customer and shareholder alike.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
I gather the Director of Flight Operations is the latest to leave - albeit he will return to flying from his management role. Anyone having any insight on this latest reshuffle?
Internally I've heard rumours that he was pushed, though Flight Crew have been told that he chose to return to the line. Being replaced by the COO Klaus, at least for the time being.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by TWEED1A
Internally I've heard rumours that he was pushed, though Flight Crew have been told that he chose to return to the line. Being replaced by the COO Klaus, at least for the time being.
Let's face it.
Upsides of being a captain: doing exactly your rostered hours, being paid for overtime, seeing nice places, not going to work in the same place.
Downsides of being a captain: not spending too much time in your own bed, risking your life (and having a few hundred fellows' in your hands)

Upsides of being the boss of flight ops: company car, Band 1 pay package
Downsides of being the boss of flight ops: not having weekends (I'm still to see a senior Ops manager who can truly disconnect for two days), occasional forays in tribunal, IR/TU meetings, having to deal with HR, people management, meetings.

Frankly, I'd know what I'd choose. Rumour had it that the boss of Shorthaul pilots had tried to return to the line before he left a few years ago.

All this is obviously my opinion and not BA's.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by 13900
Frankly, I'd know what I'd choose.
I've done both (in my line of work), and yes, a few years ago I returned to the line and driving the bus.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
BA have confirmed she is definitely going.

She is succeeded by Hamish McVey, the airline’s head of brand and marketing, a British Airlines spokesperson says.

“Abigail Comber decided to leave BA and goes with our thanks and much to be proud of including leading the relaunch of the brand promise ‘To fly. To serve.’, the success of BA’s Olympics campaign, as well as the delivery of customer programmes such as Buy on Board and New Club World,” the spokeswoman added.
https://www.marketingweek.com/2018/0...19-march-2019/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.