Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour has it that

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
So I'm not surprised that the UK remains only a Star Alliance end point, not a hub.
Agree with all your post save that I would still describe T2 as a Star hub of sorts - in that there are still lots of connections there - but to use the bicycle analogy it’s more a cog-to-cog model than the conventional hub-and-spoke model.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Agree with all your post save that I would still describe T2 as a Star hub of sorts - in that there are still lots of connections there - but to use the bicycle analogy it’s more a cog-to-cog model than the conventional hub-and-spoke model.
Indeed, they rub along cooperatively but it's not a structural part of their business.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

I am extremely pleased you have posted in the darkness of today’s extremely sad news, as I’m sure others are too. Sorry to refer to a sensitive subject. My greatest respect and peace to anyone involved today at BA

Anyhow, good luck with your next move.
Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn’t in today so wasn’t aware of that when I posted, but have just seen it now. A sad day indeed. I am sure I speak for us all when I say that the thoughts of everyone at BA engineering are with the family and friends concerned. I know an investigation is ongoing so I won’t comment further other than to say it was a prividige to have worked with him.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Perimeter Road North
I can confirm that the Corporate Directory often makes a good read ;-)The org charts change as often as the days of the week!
BA is not alone in this - I am currently working for a British company of similar ilk (my first foray into this type of corporate) and am absolutely bemused/horrified as to how much time and money we spend re organising and restructuring and how we bring in KPMG et al at the drop of a hat to assist

If we spent as much time and money actually dealing with customer problems we could really achieve something special- but that wouldn't protect empires, create nice looking reports & soundbites and tick off a few short term KPIs for this years fat bonus.. and don't even get me started on named projects....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Thoughts for his family, friends and co-workers. A terrible thing to happen.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by 13900
I'm not a fan of Cruz, I've said it times and again. I don't think he's a leader in the same way that Keith was or even what Nick Swift would've been.
He is a very poor communicator and comes across terribly whenever he tries to relate to people. Not much you can do about that, it's largely personality based, but frankly this is not the first company that's had to deal with difficult circumstances, good leaders have to make hard calls and are liked when they do it. It comes down to being open about it and being earnest and sincere about the reasons for doing the things you need to do. Spin, especially with employees, never pays.

Originally Posted by sammyg901
BA is not alone in this - I am currently working for a British company of similar ilk (my first foray into this type of corporate) and am absolutely bemused/horrified as to how much time and money we spend re organising and restructuring and how we bring in KPMG et al at the drop of a hat to assist
I have to say that, coming back after many many years in the US, I am stunned at how consultant happy UK and European companies are. If you're not smart enough to know what organisation you want and not brave enough to admit why you messed something up when you do, and fix it, you probably shouldn't be in the job you're in, Regardless of how good of a job management consultants do (and there are some very smart people doing that work) I see money spent on this sort of service as an abdication of responsibility.

It's hard to say whether the amounts spent this way would make a substantial difference to, say, BA's product, but in principle I totally agree with you.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by alextheengineer

Have you met him?

I’ll agree, when he first came he said the right things but I think the lack of progress on simple issues is starting to change minds. We are all human and we all have flaws but some people can react to pressure in a way that alienates those they need to rely on the most.

’nuf said. I’m out of the place in 3 weeks, and it’s not a moment too soon!
I do, and I know that Engineering's not changing at the pace people expected. How much is his fault and how much is because of the culture over there I don't know, but turning the mentality in certain areas will take almost as much as improving the whole place, methinks.

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
He is a very poor communicator and comes across terribly whenever he tries to relate to people. Not much you can do about that, it's largely personality based, but frankly this is not the first company that's had to deal with difficult circumstances, good leaders have to make hard calls and are liked when they do it. It comes down to being open about it and being earnest and sincere about the reasons for doing the things you need to do. Spin, especially with employees, never pays.
Wholeheartedly agree.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
I gather the Director of Flight Operations is the latest to leave - albeit he will return to flying from his management role. Anyone having any insight on this latest reshuffle?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
I gather the Director of Flight Operations is the latest to leave - albeit he will return to flying from his management role. Anyone having any insight on this latest reshuffle?
The rumours I've heard are that it was more of a resignation than a reshuffle!

I knew him as a man of integrity - and a BA man through and through - so I suspect that he was being leaned on to do something that his judgement or his conscience could not accept.

Personally, I regard his departure with some regret.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Has Marcus Junius Brutus Minor got a job at Waterside yet? It could help [not actually doing it, of course].

They're dropping like flies, for one reason or another. Perhaps Cruz could be recruited by DHL to sort out their problems
wrp96 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I have to say that, coming back after many many years in the US, I am stunned at how consultant happy UK and European companies are. If you're not smart enough to know what organisation you want and not brave enough to admit why you messed something up when you do, and fix it, you probably shouldn't be in the job you're in, Regardless of how good of a job management consultants do (and there are some very smart people doing that work) I see money spent on this sort of service as an abdication of responsibility.
Problem is that UK/EU companies doesn’t really appreciate being told they’re wrong and as a result failure (ie admitting you can’t do it) isn’t actually rewarded but punished as it is pointing out rather than a solve. The amount of either incompetent but political people who survive or competent but able to admit mistakes who get shunned is amazing.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by sammyg901

If we spent as much time and money actually dealing with customer problems we could really achieve something special- but that wouldn't protect empires, create nice looking reports & soundbites and tick off a few short term KPIs for this years fat bonus.. and don't even get me started on named projects....
Welcome to the game
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:15 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Some MBA (Master of Bu**er All) from Batley Technical College University working in the BA Corporate Strategy and Planning department has noticed that Number 10 reshuffles generate lots of press coverage. Naturally BA can benefit from this bonanza of publicity.

More news to come next week when the current Concorde Room under-secretary in charge of washing up the Black Mug is promoted to Director of Information Technology.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
... only to arrive and realize that the vision you were hired to implement cannot be implemented. Why? The same people who gave you a pat on the back earlier are unwilling to give you the necessary support
To be fair, it’s not just in quite senior roles that this happens, but in many with any degree with responsibility. One can sign up for something, being assured of particular resources or whatever, and then find that they don’t materialise...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I enjoyed talking to SR and interviewing him back in April 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.