Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Club Europe - AWFUL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:45 am

I think you have a perfectly fair point about the quality of CE. It's not a fantastic product. But I personally don't believe there's compensation due for CE overall - it is what it is.

And I'd agree - they should have loaded your special meal - I think you should be getting a token for this.

To ensure we're comparing apples with apples - this is the swiss business class you're comparing to right? https://traveluxblog.com/2015/04/15/...al-business-2/
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hakadaddy
No offense but I flew SWISS on a similar leg - ZRH/ATH and it was anything but the same. Seats newer. Seats reclined. Special Meal Loaded. Clearly not the same level of service other than the weird nobody sits next to you approach. Agree to disagree.
This was our first experience of BA Club World. The transatlantic was OK in the 744 but not wonderful when compared to other OW carriers like QR & QF. BA did not offer a mixed class of service fare on the route so did not have the option of faring that way. BA CW is definitely not business class worthy hence my complaint to their management team.
OK, so now this is a little more confusing. BA seats certainly recline, exactly the same as LX's do. You also need to compare fares - in my experience, BA would consistently be cheaper than LX on intra-EU routes, certainly from hubs, so in many senses - in terms of on-board catering - you get what you pay for. I'd say BA's wine selection is better than LX's, but food is probably worse, so that's very much a swings and roundabouts thing as well.

You'll find many discussions here about the relative benefits of BA & QR, less so QF. BA is generally recognised as being consistent in terms of product but not world class. Again, this sounds like a case of research reaping rewards.

If you complained about the amenities on the CW leg, then honestly - I fully understand why BA's response was framed in the terms it was.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For fare reasons I won/t trouble folks with, I recently flew LHR-MAN in Club Europe, connecting to Brussels Air economy class from MAN-BRU. Yeah, the CE flight had the middle seat blocked, but that is far less important than legroom. And the Brussels Air flight in economy, for all customers, had 2-3" more legroom than BA CE did. It's a huge difference. That service level by BA in CE is a farce.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:59 am

Flew LH business recently. Europes largest airline group. Absolutely no different to BA in my opinion.

You get some good flights, you'll get some great ones but you'll also get some bad ones, that's life.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The issue of delay is separate from the horrific experience on the 763 flight.
Horrific? Come on now.

Yes, the CE product is a poor show; BUT that's not a BA thing, it's a European airline thing.

I've had TATL flights on AA in the past five years with a seat not that much better than that BA 763 seat, so let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Your meal is a legitimate issue, and you should probably be due some Avios compensation. However without a BAEC account I don't think this is feasible. I'm not sure exactly what the dietary issue is for your special meal requirement, but was there nothing for purchase on the ET trolley you could eat? £1200 buys a lot of Percy Pigs.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Without getting to the more hyperbolic aspects of OP's complaint, I have to say I agree that the failure to load the special meal at a hub under these circumstances is inexcusable. It doesn't make things any better that this pathetic service is the normal book-more-than-24-hours-ahead service standard. In the case of a misconnect like this, especially when it sounds like BA was at fault for the first flight's delay, BA's policy is effectively saying "If we fail to deliver you to your connection point on time, we'll take that as carte blanche to not deliver another element of the service you've paid for."
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
No offense but I flew SWISS on a similar leg - ZRH/ATH and it was anything but the same. Seats newer. Seats reclined. Special Meal Loaded. Clearly not the same level of service other than the weird nobody sits next to you approach. Agree to disagree.
There's good and bad about BA's handful of ageing 767s compared to the Airbuses in the rest of the shorthaul fleet. Your 767 will have had a couple of inches more legroom than a newer Airbus. In both cases the seats recline unless there's something behind you like an exit row. Swiss keep their planes cleaner, and they may have a bit more legroom than BA's Airbuses (I'd be surprised if it's more than BA's 767 though), but as far as I'm aware they also have 3x3 seating with the middle seat kept empty in CE (thus giving you a lot more elbow room as well as a bit more privacy).

I can see, though, that if you're coming from the US you'd be surprised. You can't compare Domestic First with European short-haul business class - the US seats are better in all respects (wider, more legroom, more comfortable). You need to think of it as like flying coach without anyone sitting next to you, and some free food and drink.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Grindr friend lives in the peaceful Cumbrian countryside and complains these 767s are far too loud. Whenever he can hear a jet wailing overhead it’s the 767 SHT.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:20 am

Every airline has older aircraft. That's life. BA seats recline too. Apart from an inch of legroom here and there no airlines have the larger seats you were talking about in the OP.

The 763s might be getting ready to be retired but they are IMHO nasty. They are not even in the fleets of what I would consider other competing carriers like AY, QF, QR etc. Special meals were ordered 30 days out due to medical condition. When they rebooked us they knew there was a special meal need. Indeed as we boarded the in flight supervisor came and told us that they were not going to be able to load it. There was a 5 hour gap between original and rebooked flight in terms of time of departure AND they made the decision to rebook during our transatlantic flight; BA294 so they had an additional 6-7 hours notice on top of that. When we went to the PAX service area they said our special meals would be loaded - we specifically asked because of my daughter's needs. As far as quality of service in Business see my reply on SWISS that we used previously. Had we been able to fare that and be competitive I would have done that. I hardly think that is my lack of research.
We get that. Annoying I know. Poor effort on the part of BA and no doubt the CS staff were just fobbing you off, it's the BA way. But if the meal was the only tangible issue then you will get little or no compensation for the missing £5 meal.

600 Euro was for the misconnection NOT the problem with the LHR/ATH flights. Those are the rules that they put into play in Europe. We did not come up with them. Even if the LHR/ATH flights had been wonderful we would still be entitled to the compensation under Regulation 261/2004.
Indeed. But the point people are making is that since you have been compensated for the misconnect, what else are you looking for?

This was our first experience of BA Club World. The transatlantic was OK in the 744 but not wonderful when compared to other OW carriers like QR & QF. BA did not offer a mixed class of service fare on the route so did not have the option of faring that way. BA CW is definitely not business class worthy hence my complaint to their management team..
So CW is now an issue too. Throwing the kitchen sink at it now.....

There won't be a next time on BA if there are ANY other options.
Best solution. It is a free world and we all have a choice.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I would be interested to hear what was the OP expecting from the CE product?
Maybe a business class size seat ?

But of course, in all fairness to BA, and as so many have pointed out, that is rarely to be found on intra-europe flights on any carrier. Perhaps the thread should be re-named : “Business class in Europe - mostly awful”

I always look forward to intra-asia biz class travel where a proper seat is still available. And - contrary to some opinion - very often at no higher fare levels, or even less, than an equivalent length european sector.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I am an AA Executive Platinum with 130K miles last year on AA/OW metal last year alone
IMO, then you should know better. You should know that these kind of things happen and when one wheel falls off the wagon then there are other knock-on effects.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Fraser
3) Yes, special meals don't often make it during misconnects such as this. Pretty common knowledge, IMO. If you have specific dietary issues then you had plenty of time to rustle something up in one of the lounges or at one of the many eateries in Terminal 5
There was plenty of time if OP had been notified that their request wasn't likely to be accommodated. To you it's common knowledge, but it's news to me and OP, and probably most standard travelers.

Also, i've seen posts where meals weren't loaded for CE and the poster received some Avios as a compensation. Should OP be calling back and trying again?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by subject2load

Maybe a business class size seat ?

But of course, in all fairness to BA, and as so many have pointed out, that is rarely to be found on intra-europe flights on any carrier. Perhaps the thread should be re-named : “Business class in Europe - mostly awful”

I always look forward to intra-asia biz class travel where a proper seat is still available. And - contrary to some opinion - very often at no higher fare levels, or even less, than an equivalent length european sector.
What I meant was were they expecting a long haul type seat or were they aware of the type of seat the majority of European airlines offer, BA don’t hide the type of seating in EF from customers?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Special Meal Loaded.
There's not an airline in the sky that will guarantee your special meal in the event of a misconnection.

As for the old 767s, I'll be delighted to take up your empty seat; I love them, dents, scratches and all.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by ajamieson
There's not an airline in the sky that will guarantee your special meal in the event of a misconnection.

As for the old 767s, I'll be delighted to take up your empty seat; I love them, dents, scratches and all.
It's bad enough that, even with a 5 - 6 hour delay at their home base, BA could not load the OP's special meals, but he had also asked specificaly if their meals would be loaded on the rebooked flight, and he was assured that they would be.

For some people, this is a serious issue. Strict dietary requirements, the need to eat on a regular schedule, the timing of medication with / without food. For some people, ordering a special meal is a requirement, not a fad or a "I'll order the Asian Vegetarian meal this week and see if it's any better than the regular meal" thing.

I think the OP is getting some unecessary snark here.
hugolover and Beltway2A like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.