Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BED BUGS!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:34 am

Totally agree, my partner has been very rational about it, he flys a lot (well on his way to GFL and his dad is GGLFL) and doesn’t know anyone this has happened to on a flight.

He is more surprised that BA doesn’t want to fix this issue in a more productive way, as they mentioned he’s already moving his flexible f tickets away.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, I'll bite. Yesterday BA shifted the equivalent of the population of Exeter from one place to another. Today they will do the same, and ditto tomorrow. I don't know how many bed bugs there are in Exeter but my suspicion is that it will be considerably more than there are on BA's aircraft. I have never seen a bed bug on a BA aircraft - or indeed any other airline - that I have travelled on, and that will be rather more than most people have travelled. It's not worth worrying about, you are more likely to be struck by lightning.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, I'll bite.
Your opener made me smile - I also agree with your overall context as someone who spends a lot of time sleeping on BA planes and never had it happen to me.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I wasn't sleeping on BA yesterday, but on my LHR-IAD flight I caught and smashed this fellow:

Not sure if I should call BA and kvetch or not, but boy was that a surprise in First...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:52 pm
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I wasn't sleeping on BA yesterday, but on my LHR-IAD flight I caught and smashed this fellow:

Not sure if I should call BA and kvetch or not, but boy was that a surprise in First...

If that is a bed bug (is it? looks like it has wings though?) you should definitely tell BA. You should also be careful you didn't bring any home -- that's the real concern if encountering them on a plane/in a hotel...

Last edited by nycflyer17; Apr 24, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Bedbugs don't have wings, the above pictured bug appears to have them.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

That isn't a bed bug, this is a bed bug:

Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:10 pm
formerly smoaky

Wonder what kind of bug that is then?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
That isn't a bed bug, this is a bed bug:

I can ABSOLUTELY confirm that. My mother lives in sheltered accommodation and I have spent the last two
years trying to exterminate them from her flat. They are very hard to get rid of completely and if I did manage that then no doubt she’d bring the next lot up from their communal hall. Once home, I then have the task of ensuring I haven’t got any on me. It is a real pain. Watched a programme a few years ago on pest control and it seems the ONLY way to get rid of them is to seal up a room and pump hot air in up to 60 degrees and burn the buggers to death.
Bug sprays work to a degree but you always miss a few. The babies are little specks.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by smoaky
Wonder what kind of bug that is then?
My guess is that it is a squashbug / leatherbug of some sort - there are dozens if not hundreds of species.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:07 pm

In the end they offered 40k Avios which was their final offer. He once again played DYKIA and Do you know who my father is, to no success.

Originally Posted by newfrequent
Totally agree, my partner has been very rational about it, he flys a lot (well on his way to GFL and his dad is GGLFL) and doesn’t know anyone this has happened to on a flight.

He is more surprised that BA doesn’t want to fix this issue in a more productive way, as they mentioned he’s already moving his flexible f tickets away.

Old May 3, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by newfrequent
In the end they offered 40k Avios which was their final offer. He once again played DYKIA and Do you know who my father is, to no success.

I don't want to be that guy but here I am

Are you are the problem was bed bugs on the flight? Bed bugs don't cause 50 bites they usually bite on other extremities such as arms and legs. They also take 12 to 14 hours to appear usually. I was bitten 40 odd times by what I assumed was the same and was actually red ants from the country I was in Zimbabwe. 50 just seems excessive for being on a plane .
Old May 3, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson

That could be a stink bug (or a variation) but it also could be a "kissing bug." I've never been great at spotting the difference to be honest. It has that name because they typically bite people and other animals in the face or lips because they are attracted by breath and feed on blood. Typically endemic to the southern USA, but they've been spotted as far north as Delaware and PA recently. They can carry diseases such as Chagas.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Not sure if this has been mentioned as this thread is now quite extensive and the search function isn’t always the best. BA long haul aircraft are inspected by ‘Merlin’ sniffer dogs every three months, regardless of whether or not there have been reported cases.

Edit: Merlin Environmental is a company that provides sniffer dogs for the purpose of bed bug detection. They’re used by, amongst others, a number of hospitality and transport companies.

Last edited by Boeing77W; May 3, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
What is a Merlin sniffer dog? I am assuming it’s not something obvious like a dog trained to find WW11 era aero engines?
SoonerRed and CosmosHuman like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
What is a Merlin sniffer dog? I am assuming it’s not something obvious like a dog trained to find WW11 era aero engines?
That would be much more impressive. I’ve made an edit to my initial post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.