Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Grayson (US East Coast) 4th/5th - Possible Disruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm Grayson (US East Coast) 4th/5th - Possible Disruption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I'm at SFO waiting to fly VX to EWR. Two hour delay so far but the crew have just turned up so I hope that's a good sign! Back to London on Monday. Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Not surprisingly JFK is a total mess tonight (Friday night). Flights are getting out, but all are delayed by several hours. I’m on 182, which was scheduled to depart almost two hours ago. They can’t even estimate a departure time at this point. Inbound aircraft has been waiting for a gate for some time.

Clearky im going to miss my AUH connection. Will BA accommodate me on EY, or am I going to be stuck at LHR overnight?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by Blumie

Clearky im going to miss my AUH connection. Will BA accommodate me on EY, or am I going to be stuck at LHR overnight?
I would think it unlikely that BA will move you to EY unless they have major problems on the LHR-AUH flights.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
Exactly the same as any other airline affected at MAN: you're flying from an EU airport, so you'd be entitled to hotel, appropriate meals and phone calls. They may arrange it themselves, if not you can 'pay and claim'. They won't refuse, but if they do, follow the advice in the EU261 thread up to and including claiming in court.
Thanks for the input.

The AA MAN-PHL did go Friday but anticipating carnage in PHL with my MCO onward flight, the excellent MAN AA desk lady rebooked us on to the direct VS 75 MAN-MCO flight - a 747 which left half-empty, despite also picking up some of the cancelled VS MAN-JFK folks. I don;t know how full the earlier VS73 MAN-MCO was, but AA were clearly doing what they could to help out.

Interestingly, my flight was booked on a 125 ticket using BA 1600 MAN-PHL and BA 6871 PHL-MCO numbers; as an aside, any ideas as to whether I'll be getting any BA avios and TPs ? not a big deal really, just wondering - I'm very happy to be lying here at Ormond Beach FL watching the sunrise instead of being stranded higher up the east coast !
florens likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
Thanks for the input.

The AA MAN-PHL did go Friday but anticipating carnage in PHL with my MCO onward flight, the excellent MAN AA desk lady rebooked us on to the direct VS 75 MAN-MCO flight - a 747 which left half-empty, despite also picking up some of the cancelled VS MAN-JFK folks. I don;t know how full the earlier VS73 MAN-MCO was, but AA were clearly doing what they could to help out.

Interestingly, my flight was booked on a 125 ticket using BA 1600 MAN-PHL and BA 6871 PHL-MCO numbers; as an aside, any ideas as to whether I'll be getting any BA avios and TPs ? not a big deal really, just wondering - I'm very happy to be lying here at Ormond Beach FL watching the sunrise instead of being stranded higher up the east coast !
You won't get any TPs and avios flying on VS, but you should be able to apply to BA for original routing credit to give you the TPs and avios you should have got on your originally booked flights. See the ORC guide for some more information https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html
dewsburyborn likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup

So after an hour on the phone they are adamant that their policy is set out below and they extend the period to 7 days. It clearly doesn’t meet the EU requirements so I have been asked to take it up with AA customer services now... which I will do.

Their stance is that for rebooking after seven days the passenger MUST pay any difference in fare.

[AA]We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When your flight is canceled or a delay will cause you to miss your connection, we will rebook you on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control or you were diverted to another city, and we don’t board to your final destination before 11:59 p.m. local time, we'll arrange an overnight stay at your connecting airport, if available.

In extreme circumstances, a flight may cancel while on the ground in the city it was diverted to. If this happens we will rebook you on our next flight with available seats, on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to rebook you, we’ll arrange an overnight stay, if available.

If the delay or cancellation is caused by events beyond our control (like weather) you are responsible for your own overnight accommodations, meals and incidental expenses. American Airlines agents may be able to help you find a hotel.

If you decide not to fly because of a flight cancellation or a major delay, you can request a refund of the remaining ticket value and related optional fees.[/AA]

not sure what class you are flying - but have you just priced it up to rebook yourself ? At this time of year there could be little or no difference
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by sammyg901
not sure what class you are flying - but have you just priced it up to rebook yourself ? At this time of year there could be little or no difference
Business Class and it’s significantly more expensive, probably due to it being an advanced fare price. I can get similar prices for April onwards but that doesn’t help me.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Was on 176 on Friday night which was a total mess due to
- 2 hour delay leaving LHR of the 115 which became 176
- stuck out there for two hours without a gate. That was reported in the lounge but flightaware has it at the gate at 19.09
- some major issue with a piece of artwork that needed to be loaded
- some unexplained gate issue which had us sitting in the gate for an hour or so

ended up leaving around 1am

the curious one, was speaking to the captain - who come down for a chat and later the CSD, was that. They decided to board early and against jfk advice as they looked around the airport and saw no food, and people sitting on floors and all looking exhausted. As the CSD said at least we would give people a seat, and if need be would feed them on the plane. Apparently, it was very close to being called off.

So connection to ARN was missed and ended up flying to ARn via OSL and then a fun flight on Ethiopian from OSL to ARN getting in at around 20.00. All other ARN flights were full.

So so what are the chances of EU261. Weather conditions were fine but cold. And all other flights managed to get off without such a delay. The crux I guess being the delay of 113 that is paired with 176. And whether a lack of gates is seen as weather. (And should add we were supposed to fly on Thursday and sat around jfk in the lounge for a few hours).

Ideas?

KF

Last edited by Koru Flyer; Jan 6, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
So so what are the chances of EU261. Weather conditions were fine but cold. And all other flights managed to get off without such a delay. The crux I guess being the delay of 113 that is paired with 176. And whether a lack of gates is seen as weather. (And should add we were supposed to fly on Thursday and sat around jfk in the lounge for a few hours).
I would say Right to Care only, not Article 7. Firstly the context is a fairly tough set of weather conditions in New York recently and that I guess it's the Port Authority which didn't get the gates lined up rather than the airline. There may be other points of view to this, but I'd be amazed if BA rolled over and offered Article 7, so this question is academic unless you are minded to put a lot of time into it. At least you are home and I'd like to thank you for the "colour pieces" which give some insight as to what it was like over there.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks. We will see how it whirls. It is a good example of why having travel insurance in your pocket is good. Even if the airline is bound from duty of care, it takes away the concern.

I was was very impressed with the BA CSD on 176 who despite everything, managed during the flight to get us rebooked to ARN and met at the gate with new BPs to ARN, and offered a choice of direct with BA the next day inc hotel, or same day with BA and Ethiapian on a 787. Given the below, and our exhausted state we took the later.

To to put some more “colour” to it. The JFK sector was matched to an ex-EU ARN-SYD on QR. So two ex-EU (which is fair as I am based ex-eu) :-) But due to circumstances out of my control, two separate PNRs. :-O (yes was always risky and winter time where fortune favours the brave, or....)

luckily i I had the forethought to pay the extra couple of hundred KR for a flexible QR fare, as two separate tickets, one JFK snow storm and a very tough exercise of trying to match the BA invol rebooking with a QR rebooking. With a curious $2.78 rebooking fee from QR, which I guess was currency fluctuation on taxes. Funny thing was, due to my tiredness on a Thursday night after being at JFK and back again (finding a hotel for family of four etc etc), I rebooked the QR flight on the wrong day (+1) which due to the BA176 additional delay turned out to be the right day. :-)

I do feel sorry for Ethiapian, who BA rebooked us on from OSL-ARN (very impressed btw), but who have the responsibility of delivering our six bags to SYD.

KF
p.s. Why on Earth we were Mixing JFK with SYD is a long story of Xmas, American wife with family in USA Midwest, and temporarily having no house (relocation) combined with a comped hotel stay in nyc.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I was was very impressed with the BA CSD on 176 who despite everything, managed during the flight to get us rebooked to ARN and met at the gate with new BPs to ARN, and offered a choice of direct with BA the next day inc hotel, or same day with BA and Ethiapian on a 787. Given the below, and our exhausted state we took the later.
While the CSD may have delivered the information, this would all have been down to the staff at LHR working on connections for all customers. meeting customers at the aircraft is again something that LHR do and while in the past it was focused on tight connections, over the past few months moves work has gone on to try to meet customers with missed connections and give them their new flight documents and any hotel and refreshment vouchers that is needed. Depending on events, it may be that jot everyone can be met, but the aim will be to do so where possible.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
A data point for those who ever want to compare BA with Norwegian. A colleague has now spent five days waiting to be flown home from New York by Norwegian after they cancelled his flight because of the storm. Five days and, I think, five different JFK airport hotels.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
A data point for those who ever want to compare BA with Norwegian. A colleague has now spent five days waiting to be flown home from New York by Norwegian after they cancelled his flight because of the storm. Five days and, I think, five different JFK airport hotels.
Why on earth would someone wait 5 days?

There are many flights with seats available from NYC-Europe over the past few days. You can usually jump on a service with a seat available with 24 hours notice for ~£580 with EI EWR-LGW.

Unless, of course, your colleague wanted to enjoy New York on DY's account
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why on earth would someone wait 5 days?

There are many flights with seats available from NYC-Europe over the past few days. You can usually jump on a service with a seat available with 24 hours notice for ~£580 with EI EWR-LGW.
But is not it the airline's responsibility to get the passenger home? Not everyone is fortunate to have the means to buy a last minute ticket, especially if there is zero chance to recover the money from the airline.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
And yet a friend of mine, on BA, was told she would have to wait 4 days before flying back...so not a major difference between BA and DY in terms of first level information.

Only when I spoke to her, and gave her a few options which BA might accept, did the airline relent and re-route her.

However, the average traveller, would not necessarily think that way, and would likely accept the initial information provided.

M
florens likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.