Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Flight home last week from a nice sunny vacation: Man in basically beach attire, but sporting an expensive-looking leather bag from a rather well-known fashion label. Maybe it's just me, but it does look very odd. I have no problem with people dressing casually, or even skimpily, but that he was pairing it with such a nice bag...

Envy rant aside, he basically pushed between two queues waving his presumably-J ticket in the air (there were no flashes of gold seen anywhere on the bag). At least he did have the conscience to shout "excuse me" at nobody in particular while stomping on their toes. To his dismay, after all the hard work put into the pushing and shoving, they were only pre-boarding infants and those needing extra time. [sad face].
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

Flying AA192 HKG to LAX last week. The usual secondary "liquid check" in the jetway. I am in J so it's pretty much only J and F in this part of the line.

Although the jetway has an aircraft entrance for F and J and a separate one for Y, they were only using the Y entrance. An F pax gets out of sorts regarding having to have his bag checked, and starts protesting "But I am in FIRST!! I am IN FIRST" ...the Hong Kong security guards don't care and start checking his bags anyhow while he acts shocked. Then he tries walking down the entrance marked First and Business Class...but it's closed. Not even connected to the aircraft. A guard tries to stop him and he turns around and repeats his mantra "BUT I AM IN FIRST!!". The guard repeats himself: "Only one entrance, for everybody". The DYKWIA's response? You guessed it..."BUT I AM IN FIRST!!"
Cris L, T8191, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Then he tries walking down the entrance marked First and Business Class...but it's closed. Not even connected to the aircraft. A guard tries to stop him and he turns around and repeats his mantra "BUT I AM IN FIRST!!". The guard repeats himself: "Only one entrance, for everybody". The DYKWIA's response? You guessed it..."BUT I AM IN FIRST!!"
"Straight ahead, Sir!"
wrp96, RockyRobin and WorldLux like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Flying AA192 HKG to LAX last week. The usual secondary "liquid check" in the jetway. I am in J so it's pretty much only J and F in this part of the line.

Although the jetway has an aircraft entrance for F and J and a separate one for Y, they were only using the Y entrance. An F pax gets out of sorts regarding having to have his bag checked, and starts protesting "But I am in FIRST!! I am IN FIRST" ...the Hong Kong security guards don't care and start checking his bags anyhow while he acts shocked. Then he tries walking down the entrance marked First and Business Class...but it's closed. Not even connected to the aircraft. A guard tries to stop him and he turns around and repeats his mantra "BUT I AM IN FIRST!!". The guard repeats himself: "Only one entrance, for everybody". The DYKWIA's response? You guessed it..."BUT I AM IN FIRST!!"
smokie36, Calum, LWkitty and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

On an HKG/oneworld related/DYKWIA note I had a similar jetbridge encounter last week. Flying CX in F the wife and I were the first passengers from the gate but at the branch off for the First/Business jetbridge there was a CX rep holding everyone up for a couple of minutes whilst she waited for something related to the UM she was with. There was a metal railing down the middle of the walkway and a line of maybe thirty people had built up. Despite this one guy decided to walk on the other side of the railing, round the CX rep and tried to board. He seemed a bit out of it and the rep had to tell him a couple of times boarding hadn't started yet. Instead of joining the back of the queue he stood there to one side and when the rep held her hand out for my wife and I to board he basically barged in the way of my wife (all 5'2" of her!), almost knocking her into the side of the jetway enroute to 1L..and not that it mattered but he wasn't in F We next saw him at JFK whilst waiting for our bag and he marched through baggage claim in a similar determined way almost oblivious to anything around him. Quite bizarre...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Not quite a DYKWIA incident, but at AMS, Easyjet sometimes use the G gates which are contact gates rather than the usual front and rear steps. I usually make sure I'm there nice and early (generally the first in the Speedy Boarding queue) so I can store both my bags as I normally sit in the first row.

Anyway, boarding starts and off I go down the airbridge and take the first corridor on the left. I get halfway down and realise that this isn't connected to anything, so have to turn back. Of course, the next half a dozen people have followed me thinking I must know what I'm doing... I ended up about 10th to board and had to put my bags in the next bin

*Alcohol consumption played no part in the above. Probably.
T8191, wrp96, smokie36 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dykwia
not quite a dykwia incident, but at ams, easyjet sometimes use the g gates which are contact gates rather than the usual front and rear steps. I usually make sure i'm there nice and early (generally the first in the speedy boarding queue) so i can store both my bags as i normally sit in the first row.

Anyway, boarding starts and off i go down the airbridge and take the first corridor on the left. I get halfway down and realise that this isn't connected to anything, so have to turn back. Of course, the next half a dozen people have followed me thinking i must know what i'm doing... I ended up about 10th to board and had to put my bags in the next bin

*alcohol consumption played no part in the above. Probably.
dykhpia ? :d
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
@frandrake that video cracked me up. "I think they are towing your giraffe"
frandrake likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:26 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
*Alcohol consumption played no part in the above. Probably.
The polite terms I believe are 'over-breakfasted' or 'over-lunched'.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:56 am

Witnessed an excellent display of DYKWIA behaviour on a GLA-LHR flight a few years ago. Priority queue was quite long (as is often the case on this route). “Gentleman” appears, huffing and puffing at the length of the queue. He’s a bronze cardholder after all, and all these people can’t possibly be priority. Needless to say, he was directed to the back of the queue to much smirking and eye rolling around him.

Land in LHR and unsurprisingly he attempts to barge to the front from about row 8. Complete disregard for those around him.

As we make our way towards the exit, he pushes through the security gates and out the door. When I exit, I see him loudly remonstrating with land-side security. Turns out, in his haste to be first off the plane, he missed the signs for baggage claim and ran right past it... Extremely satisfying to witness!
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:59 am

He must have heard the infant part and thought it was time to board...
BlackSkyuk and 07L 25R like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:53 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
Flight home last week from a nice sunny vacation: Man in basically beach attire, but sporting an expensive-looking leather bag from a rather well-known fashion label. Maybe it's just me, but it does look very odd. I have no problem with people dressing casually, or even skimpily, but that he was pairing it with such a nice bag...
Made me laugh... beach attire and LV, is it the first time you’ve seen a gay guy board a plane?
Thomathy likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
AMT, that’s quite a leap of faith, from the OP’s description, to identify the make of bag and the sexual orientation of the person!

Doc Copper
Cotumely likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:11 pm

I think AMT was being tongue in cheek.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Apropos of nothing, reading just brought to mind that wonderful Raymond Queneau line from "Zazie dans le Metro": "...les hommes d’affaires en tête au pas accéléré avec leur porte-documents au bout du bras pour tout bagage et leur air de savoir voyager mieux que les autres." (In front, and walking briskly with their briefcases in hand, the businessmen, with their manner of knowing how to travel better than everyone else)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.