Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebs on BA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lexexpress
There's a difference between asking for a photo and just taking a photo.
Agreed, but this was a public place and he's a celebrity. He should be used to it. Once my daughter had agreed to delete it, there was absolutely no need to send his security person over to further harass my daughter. I took serious umbrage to that, and told him so.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Agreed, but this was a public place and he's a celebrity. He should be used to it. Once my daughter had agreed to delete it, there was absolutely no need to send his security person over to further harass my daughter. I took serious umbrage to that, and told him so.
he has no right to ask you to delete the photo to start with. You would have been within your rights to refuse - albeit I understand in the interests of de-escalating the situation you may agree to do so.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Agreed. BTW, my phone has a "recently deleted" file you can recover photos from if one cares to be sneaky ... hehehe... I suppose I'd be accused of being passive-aggressive, but It's creepy and just plain aggressive to send a security person over to her, especially a young person, imo.
Geordie405 likes this.

Last edited by JayeJ; Aug 31, 2018 at 3:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:02 pm

Agreed, but this was a public place and he's a celebrity. He should be used to it.
Being used to something doesn't mean others have the right to do it. I agree with the rest of your post.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
he has no right to ask you to delete the photo to start with. You would have been within your rights to refuse - albeit I understand in the interests of de-escalating the situation you may agree to do so.
Yes, I know - and I told her as much but she'd already deleted it. In many ways I wish she hadn't as she could then have posted it and made some comment about how heavy-handed he was in dealing with a teenage "fan" who just happened to be on the same flight. She'll know for next time
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by JayeJ
Agreed. BTW, my phone has a "recently deleted" file you can recover photos from if one cares to be sneaky ... hehehe... I suppose I'd be accused of being passive-aggressive, but It's creepy and just plain aggressive to send a security person over to her, especially a young person, imo.
Yes, and that is what I said to guy when he confronted my daughter. I told him I knew who his client was, but that I didn't know who he was, and that I wanted to know what he was doing talking to my daughter. I made it perfectly clear I wasn't happy and he then shuffled off and sat down. As for the "recently deleted" option, yes, she had that too but had permanently deleted the photo. She didn't want to cause things to escalate as @KARFA mentioned above.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Yes, and that is what I said to guy when he confronted my daughter. I told him I knew who his client was, but that I didn't know who he was, and that I wanted to know what he was doing talking to my daughter. I made it perfectly clear I wasn't happy and he then shuffled off and sat down. As for the "recently deleted" option, yes, she had that too but had permanently deleted the photo. She didn't want to cause things to escalate as @KARFA mentioned above.
A very similar thing happened on an Air India flight (IIRC a couple of years back), where a Bollywood celebrity was travelling in First Class, a youngster came from Economy and snapped a pic, and this person sent his rude and aggressive security man to confiscate the phone (as opposed to deleting the photo). From what I remember, quite a few passengers protectively surrounded the youngster and aggressively verbally fought back - a mid-air physical escalation was imminent, before the Captain appeared to calm things down. The celebrity in question got all sorts of vulgarities thrown at him throughout the flight.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Out of courtesy I would always politely ask beforehand, and my daughter and I spoke about how and when she should do this with Liam Payne, so not to make his flight uncomfortable (just before de-planing we decided). I also told her to accept the answer politely, whatever it was.

However, I am also with Jerry Seinfeld here*...being famous means you in part belong to your public - you rely on that interest in you to make your career successful, so you should accept a certain amount of attention when in public with good grace. It says a lot about the celebs who don't - usually the Z-listers (you rarely hear a bad word from anyone who's bumped into Tom Cruise).

*See his episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Zak Galifianakis.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure who either these people are and havent heard of one direction. I would of thought they would be pleased they are recognised, the always need to sell a cd or download these days.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
It never ceases to amaze me when these (celebrities) are on their way up any photo's are happily taken as they are desperate to be famous and for the publicity, when they are there and are established or on their way down the slippery slope of fame the willingness evaporates and self importance takes over. I really dislike heavy handedness from them or their entourage especially where the young are involved. I realise it must get waring but they should have thought of that beforehand and shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them or that slope will be even more slippery.
John
origin likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
BBC journalist Jeremy Bowen in T5 GF this morning.
Judith Chalmers in T5 GF this afternoon.
Mark Williams snooker player on BA9 for a tournament in Bangkok later in the week.

Didn’t ask any for a photo.....
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
David Walliams was tucked away in the FLounge 22 Aug. No idea where he was going but was working away. Thought BA would at least let him hide out in the CCR given he is in the current safety video!

Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
I'm surprised too, given that Walliams used to be a regular F flyer and had a concorde room card.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
I am glad that Liam was a lot friendlier than another former One Direction member, Niall Horan. He was on our CX flight from HKG to SIN a few months ago and my daughter took a photo of him on the plane. Not only did he demand she deleted it but he also sent his security detail over to her to ask the same. Apparently he didn't want to be met at the airport by a bunch of screaming fans, even though he was performing in Singapore a day or so later.
what a d1£&, I think I may have reacted differently to that type of request. I don’t care if you are a fame craving teenager...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Last night (Sunday 2nd Sept), around 2130, Ross Brawn of Formula 1 fame was exiting T5. In the shock of seeing him I quietly said ‘Ross Brawn’ more to myself than anything as he walked out of the lift. He said a quiet ‘hi’ as he walked off.

This was at the end of a busy Monza weekend for him.
origin and pacenotes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.