Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Link to Text of the regulations in PDF format

How about a Wiki to post EU comp given/denied as well as results for any CEDR or other process. Especially concerning the 787 issue as there are going to be many claims given all the cancellations.

Mine was April 22 BA280 LAX-LHR cancellation 4 days before flight and rebooked on later flight and arrived 4.5 hrs later than origianlly scheduled. BA's response was to deny for "operational" requirements though the 787 "tentatively assigned" G-ZBJG was used instead for a LHR-YUL flight that same day. CEDR filed and awaiting their initial review. Sept 3rd UPDATE: CEDR decision in Article 7 comp awarded in the amount of 600 euro as even though extraordinary circumstances are present in an engine defect as this, BA didn't show that they took reasonable steps to avoid the cancellation as they have known since Oct 2017 of this issue.
Print Wikipost

The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hello Fellow Talkers,
I know this is a BA thread, but could not find any EC261 thread in the Qatar Thread, so hoping you can help or advise me on this, as I am not sure if I am owed anything.
I flew to Abu Dhabi with Qatar in November 2014 for the Formula One, however, the return Journey AUH - DOH - LHR was severely delayed, below is my flight details

I can not remember 100% what time we arrived in London, however, I know it was well over 4 hours, could have been roughly 2330 ish, however, I can not find anywhere to find out what time it actually arrived. Can someone advise me on where to get the flight details to see what time it actually arrived? Also, If I would be subject to EC261 compensation?
The reason for the delay was there was no parking at AUH for the aircraft, can fully remember the situation.

Thanks in advance
Old May 14, 2018, 7:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by samwilliams88
Hello Fellow Talkers,
I know this is a BA thread, but could not find any EC261 thread in the Qatar Thread, so hoping you can help or advise me on this, as I am not sure if I am owed anything.
I doubt you are going to get anything from EC261 since Qatar, unlike BA, is not a European Community Carrier and therefore regards itself out of scope of EC261 when flying into Europe. Consumer protection is highest on European airlines and that is just the way it is. Some recent legal cases have helped those passengers on ME3 airlines in the other direction, departing Europe, where connections are involved, but I don't see this helping you. If you did have a legal claim then you actually don't need to provide a time of arrival, it's up to the airline to prove you arrived at before the 2/3/4 hour deadlines. So the claim can be made without knowing the precise time, though at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's always best to make contemporary notes and photos in these circumstance.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I flew to Abu Dhabi with Qatar in November 2014 for the Formula One, however, the return Journey AUH - DOH - LHR was severely delayed, below is my flight details

I can not remember 100% what time we arrived in London, however, I know it was well over 4 hours, could have been roughly 2330 ish, however, I can not find anywhere to find out what time it actually arrived. Can someone advise me on where to get the flight details to see what time it actually arrived?
The flight details aren't visible at the moment, but the best (and possibly only easy) source I know of is this: http://www.lhr-lgw.co.uk/downloads/h...014-11-lhr.zip - so FWIW you could dive into the relevant file there to extract the time. Remember that this site shows runway (landing or take-off) time, not arrival or departure time.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I doubt you are going to get anything from EC261 since Qatar, unlike BA, is not a European Community Carrier and therefore regards itself out of scope of EC261 when flying into Europe. Consumer protection is highest on European airlines and that is just the way it is. Some recent legal cases have helped those passengers on ME3 airlines in the other direction, departing Europe, where connections are involved, but I don't see this helping you. If you did have a legal claim then you actually don't need to provide a time of arrival, it's up to the airline to prove you arrived at before the 2/3/4 hour deadlines. So the claim can be made without knowing the precise time, though at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's always best to make contemporary notes and photos in these circumstance.
Thanks for the reply, I understood Qatar is not in the EU but isn't the regulations regard to those departing and arriving in the EU? Im not 100% sure hence the question.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the reply, I understood Qatar is not in the EU but isn't the regulations regard to those departing and arriving in the EU? Im not 100% sure hence the question.
For departing yes, but for arriving the protection is only on Community Carriers such as BA. See post 1 in this thread, point 3.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:52 am

For departing yes, but for arriving the protection is only on Community Carriers such as BA. See post 1 in this thread, point 3.
Ah that makes sense, thanks for confirming
Old May 14, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is just to reiterate: QR owes you nothing for the delay under EU Reg. 261/04. For non-community carriers it is only for flights departing EU.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
My wife’s KLM flight to Heathrow has been cancelled due to a tech reason and they are offering her a LCY reroute option.

can she still claim EU261, if she takes the LCY flight she will probably land there before the 2 hrs are up. She needs to get to LHR as that’s where her Railair coach goes from.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
KLM would need to provide/pay for transport LCY to LHR.

Arguably it's the time your wife eventually arrives at LHR that would be used in any delay compensation assessment.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Thanks - the plane ended up being diverted to Southend due to last nights fire alarm so even later / further away from her destination. She was given a leaflet about it by KLM so hopefully they will pay up promptly
Old May 17, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Exec Club - Gold, HH - Diamond, Club Carlson - Gold, IHG - Spire
It needs to be 3 hours late on arrival obviously but the circumstances seems to be a clear EC261 Article 7 claim to me. I would hesitate to put in a claim immediately after it has happened, it's sometimes best to leave it a week or two before submitting as explained upthread.
this is there response, what do you make of it ? I think it’s an attempted get out?

On this my departure was also 3 hours delayed and not the time they stated which I thought was wrong from memory.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...140Z/EGLL/KPHL

I’ll be replying stating I’ll be proceeding with this regardless of their attempted reason for air traffic control causing the delay, which wasnt voiced once by the pilot. Unless advised otherwise but is appreicate anyone’s advice - thanks

Start-
Thanks for contacting us about your EU compensation claim.

Your claim’s been refused because BA0067 on 05 May 2018 was partly delayed because of airspace restrictions being in place that were outside of our control.

Your flight suffered a departure delay of 169 minutes. It then incurred a further 20 minute delay after the aircraft had left the departure gate. Once an aircraft departs it's movements are dictated by Air Traffic Control. As a result the total arrival delay was over 3 hours. I'm afraid this 20 minute delay was outside of our control.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision. We’re very sorry the delay was necessary in this case.

Thanks for following this up with us and we kindly remind you to close your case on the Resolverwebsite. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sean1231
this is there response, what do you make of it ? I think it’s an attempted get out?
It's very difficult to give clear advice unless BA's timings are definitely wrong. Firstly what matter is the doors open time upon arrival, which isn't the data used by flightstats in your link. Secondly in looking at that arrival delay, if the LHR ATC time was the usual 20 to 30 minutes to get airborne then that's not extraordinary. In other words if it was 3 hours 10 minutes doors open delay, and it took 30 minutes to be airborne from gate pushback then I think you have a case, though perhaps not a strong one. If it took an hour to get airborne after pushback then you certainly don't have a case. In order to take the matter further you would need to be in a position to say that you were more than 3 hours late purely due to the technical issues. Now what you can do is a statement of truth to the best of your abilities, and use MCOL to advance the case. It feels unlikely to be a good case for CEDR, on the other hand you are more likely to see the precise workings out of the timings via CEDR, and have a better chance to react to the timings given.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:55 am

It's very difficult to give clear advice unless BA's timings are definitely wrong. Firstly what matter is the doors open time upon arrival, which isn't the data used by flightstats in your link. Secondly in looking at that arrival delay, if the LHR ATC time was the usual 20 to 30 minutes to get airborne then that's not extraordinary. In other words if it was 3 hours 10 minutes doors open delay, and it took 30 minutes to be airborne from gate pushback then I think you have a case, though perhaps not a strong one. If it took an hour to get airborne after pushback then you certainly don't have a case. In order to take the matter further you would need to be in a position to say that you were more than 3 hours late purely due to the technical issues. Now what you can do is a statement of truth to the best of your abilities, and use MCOL to advance the case. It feels unlikely to be a good case for CEDR, on the other hand you are more likely to see the precise workings out of the timings via CEDR, and have a better chance to react to the timings given.
thanks for your reply. The Taxi time was ten minutes as per the stats website ( I remember we were given priority actually due to the delay) so it was in fact a lot less than your usual holding time. Is it worth going straight to MCOL rather than debating back with BA? I’m under the impression the route cause was the overfuelling, regardless of any incurred delay after as that is very much cause and effect. we actually made very good time from push back to take off, so if anything that contradicts there timings.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sean1231
thanks for your reply. The Taxi time was ten minutes as per the stats website ( I remember we were given priority actually due to the delay) so it was in fact a lot less than your usual holding time. Is it worth going straight to MCOL rather than debating back with BA? I’m under the impression the route cause was the overfuelling, regardless of any incurred delay after as that is very much cause and effect. we actually made very good time from push back to take off, so if anything that contradicts there timings.
If you are reasonable sure of your facts, then yes MCOL would be a good way forward, however you need to research this carefully, understand the risks, and be prepared to go to court, since BA may well defend the case. However tick the box for arbitration, that is a telephone conference where these sorts of cases are often resolved.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:32 am

If you are reasonable sure of your facts, then yes MCOL would be a good way forward, however you need to research this carefully, understand the risks, and be prepared to go to court, since BA may well defend the case. However tick the box for arbitration, that is a telephone conference where these sorts of cases are often resolved.
Thanks - i'll do some more reading on the above thread & on the website. I appreciate the swift response and advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.