Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Lefly
That's a very nice price!
Anyway, I am afraid the only way to book it, if Powertools is too difficult, is to call AA as suggested by Binman.
But no need to be sorry. It took a bit also for me to learn how to install Powertools.. and for the last fix I had to ask my IT man (Mr. Lefly) to do it for me as I didn't know how to manage it. It's not really "standard user" friendly.

Ah hum, female gender here
Oops my Bad - apologies for that. I am wrong to assume that most here are boys. No offense intended.

Actually I have managed to get to price on AA.com - Espana. - Thank you all.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Dec 8, 2018 at 4:04 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Oops my Bad - apologies for that. I am wrong to assume that most here are boys. No offense intended.
No need to apologize! I think often the same with gender neutral nicknames

Originally Posted by Palty
Hello everyone!
2 days ago I was on here complaining that I'm trying to buy my TP Run (ARN-MIA) but when copy pasting from ITA to Bookwithmatrix and choosing AA it just wouldn't let me book.
I find Bookwithmatrix very limited compared to Powertools. Pity that Bookwithmatrix it's way easier to use than Powertools...

A) LHR-JFK outbound leg very short time with only 65 min I really hope that's enough time (though landing and departing from T3.
Any advice on that? I would appreciate it)
Move quickly
Just joking... I think I did it a couple of time, and I just walked straight to the gate once cleared security. Keep in mind most of the time AA flights are on the farther side of the terminal, with a good 15 min walk from the mail shopping area.

For the wiki:

Fri. 28th Dec ARN-HEL AY808 E190
Fri. 28th Dec HEL-LHR AY1335 320N

Fri. 28th Dec LHR-JFK AA141 B772
Sat. 29th Dec (aka my birthday ) LGA-ORD AA129 B737
Sat. 29th Dec ORD-MIA AA335 B767
Return.
Sun 30th Dec. MIA-DFW AA30 B757
Mon 31st Dec. DFW-JFK BA5089 B767
Mon 31st Dec. JFK-LHR BA172 B747
Jan 1 LHR-HEL AY1332 A350
Jan 1 AY813 HEL-ARN AY813 A319
Are these dates correct, by the way?
Isn't AY 1335 scheduled to depart after AY 808 arrives?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
No need to apologize! I think often the same with gender neutral nicknames

I find Bookwithmatrix very limited compared to Powertools. Pity that Bookwithmatrix it's way easier to use than Powertools...
yes it's very complicated and since I'm not a very techi kinda guy it's even harder for me, need to hire someone to do it lol I do actually understand the concept of it but wouldn't know how to make it a reality on my pc

Move quickly
Just joking... I think I did it a couple of time, and I just walked straight to the gate once cleared security. Keep in mind most of the time AA flights are on the farther side of the terminal, with a good 15 min walk from the mail shopping area.
Thanks I'm really hoping I don't miss it, I'm very nervous for that 1 slight delay and I'm scared I'll miss my flight...

Are these dates correct, by the way?
Isn't AY 1335 scheduled to depart after AY 808 arrives?
first flight is BA6050 leaving ARN at 12:55pm arriving 3pm to HEL
second flight is BA799 departing 5pm to lhr which I'm hoping it will be on time to land at 6 to catch the next 1
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:10 am

So this doesn't originate in Europe, but seems to be an AA fare without transfer restrictions. Hoping someone can optimise further. Have routed

HKG-NRT-LAX-PHL-MIA-MEX rtn. Should be 800 TPs for £1,669. I can't seem to get HKG-CTS or HKG-CGK which would be the usual 2,000+ mile routes from HK on OW. Widely available all year.

Last edited by CX_newbie; Dec 8, 2018 at 6:14 am Reason: picture was broken
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Think I need new glasses! Sorry, I hadn't spotted that bit!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Anyone reading this thread and seeing mention of ITA Matrix and Powertools and thinking it sounds great but its too complicated for me to understand, take a look at this page:

https://www.turningleftforless.com/s...matrix-part-1/

Powertools is a script that makes it possible to book complicated itineraries directly from a listing in ITA Matrix - the easiest way to use it is to add the script once as a bookmark to your browser (e.g. Chrome) and then you just need to go to the bookmark when you want to start Powertools - all the instructions for setting it up are on the page listed above and you only need to be able to master copy/paste to do it. If you want to book TP runs like the ARN-MIA itinerary, this is a life saver

Last edited by Ned1968; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:27 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
wow thanks for that, I will give it a try.
teledude likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Ned1968
Anyone reading this thread and seeing mention of ITA Matrix and Powertools and thinking it sounds great but its too complicated for me to understand, take a look at this page:

https://www.turningleftforless.com/s...matrix-part-1/

Powertools is a script that make it possible to book complicated itineraries directly from a listing in ITA Matrix - the easiest way to use it is to add the script once as a bookmark to your browser (e.g. Chrome) and then you just need to go to the bookmark when you want to start Powertools - all the instructions for setting it up are on the page listed above and you only need to be able to master copy/paste to do it. If you want to book TP runs like the ARN-MIA itinerary, this is a life saver
thanks ned
I actually did follow step by step instructions from TLFL but still found it very difficult for some reason maybe I did something wrong
I had powertools on bookmark but my problem was I didn't know where to copy paste it into there's no box like on bookwithmatrix
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
Also bagged a ARN-MIA deal today using an AA IRROPS voucher - had to call AA to book but had a very helpful agent book me as follows:

ARN-HEL-LHR 14/4 AY804, AY1335
LCY-JFK-MIA 15/4 BA1 (hopefully third time lucky getting onto it, 1st time other pax I was travelling with was ill, 2nd time Babybus went tech)/AA1357
MIA-ORD-LHR 23/4 AA145/AA86 (787-9)
LHR-HEL-ARN 24/4 AY1332 (A350)/AY813

600TP for just £395 after using my IRROPS voucher.

Anyone else doing it have a great trip, and feel free to say hi...always good to get to know other FT'ers , and this trip is all on my lonesome for the flying bits.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:47 am

I had powertools on bookmark but my problem was I didn't know where to copy paste it into there's no box like on bookwithmatrix
Who said anything about copying and pasting? The beauty of the powertools script is that it will build a URL link direct into the airline's website, you just need to click on the bookmark once you're on the right page in ITA and the link will embed itself in your page. Works perfectly in Chrome at least.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
any suggestions for mileage run / City trip at Pentecost? 7th - 11th June? does anyone know something interesting?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
For those in the antipodes I am in the middle of a run from PER-SYD-NOU rt. The NOU leg is under 2,000 miles but adding it when on sale makes the fare cheaper than PER-SYD rt.

At A$1485 (about £840) for 360 TP it is slightly over the £2/TP threshold at £2.33 but about as good as they get in AU.

I stayed one night in NOU, but b2b is possible.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Found myself at a slight pre Xmas loose end - fiddling around with google flights there are some good value runs to Spain at the moment ex LGW. A bit of creative fiddling with connections gets me LGW-BCN-MAD-LGW (CE/business) (out Monday, back Wed) with a day in BCN for £172. Which is 100TP I believe and therefore £1.72/TP. Good value I think
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I am looking to start a trip on the 9th January! I can find a good deal via Milan-NYC routing via HEL etc or from ARN-ORD again via HEL, getting a total of 680TP for approx 1300-1400 which while not amazing is the best and I am pretty fixed on the dates!

I would prefer to find a route to DFW or PHX but cannot find anything that comes close cost wise and just wondered if anyone has any thoughts? The other option is somewhere in Mexico but I cant find any good deals there at all!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I am looking to start a trip on the 9th January! I can find a good deal via Milan-NYC routing via HEL etc or from ARN-ORD again via HEL, getting a total of 680TP for approx 1300-1400 which while not amazing is the best and I am pretty fixed on the dates!

I would prefer to find a route to DFW or PHX but cannot find anything that comes close cost wise and just wondered if anyone has any thoughts? The other option is somewhere in Mexico but I cant find any good deals there at all!
Look upthread for variations on the ARN-MIA deal, possible to route via DFW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.