Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by ScottEdin
There seems to be some good prices from EDI to OGG and HNL at £1590 and £1800 for Jan - Mar next year but they seem to make you go only via LAX or SEA, and if you try to route via the east coast it seems to double the price.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to maximise tier points on this?
It's possible via east coast but ITA wont price it, a good TA can, for same price.

BTW if you are keen try EDI-LHR-YTZ-LAX-HNL all on BA codeshare should work for the price.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
It's possible via east coast but ITA wont price it, a good TA can, for same price.

BTW if you are keen try EDI-LHR-YTZ-LAX-HNL all on BA codeshare should work for the price.

Don't think the runway is long enough at YTZ
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bastoj
Good point, if I did a return to LUX (for example) I presume then I could return the same day and wouldn't need to stay overnight for the TP to count? I read somewhere about a particular route (I think it included HEL) where someone said they needed to stay overnight which I took to mean for the points but I guess it was just because it wouldn't be possible to return the same day due to flight timings or a desire not to spend an entire day in a plane haha.
Yes, you’ll see B2B on here, which means returning on the same plane, although a day in Luxembourg is nice if you have the time to spare. There’s a thread on B2B and where it works or doesn’t. At some airports arriving and departing passengers are not separated, so you walk up the jetway, join the departing passengers, and get back on the same plane. TP are awarded so long as you fly, there are no rules on overnight or length of stay. The overnight was probably a result of scheduling or rigging the route to get the A350. Finn fly a long haul A350 between Helsinki and London and back once a day, so you get the nice expansive seat on a SH route, I believe this is for freight reasons. Also this lands departs into T3 at LHR which many feel has better lounges. It all gets complicated because so much gets wrapped into the routing decision.

Helsinki often features as when there’s a decent offer on USA flights, you can usually mix BA, Finn and AA. If you depart say AMS or ARN, then go via HEL, LHR and say JFK and then onto LAX you can wring 880TP out of the route without the price increasing much. This is a fairly common tactic for TP optimal routing.

Stick around, all this becomes 2nd nature
wanderingjock and bastoj like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
I am looking to book AMS-BKK and recall it was possible to add layovers in HKG or KUL but each time I try this it significantly increases the fare. Does anyone know if this isn’t allowed anymore? Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cityguy1
I am looking to book AMS-BKK and recall it was possible to add layovers in HKG or KUL but each time I try this it significantly increases the fare. Does anyone know if this isn’t allowed anymore? Thanks

Working fine for me in September with 60 days' notice.

€100 stopover fee plus any (minimal) taxes but it works.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Ex bOS

Could someone help with EX BOS ? Looking for 500-600 TPS
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by londonsean69
I am looking to book the AMS-BKK fare, with the 'stopover' being a couple of weeks in KUL (then down to Denpasar).
Routing would be AMS-LHR-KUL // KUL-BKK // BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS
We would be diving, so will have baggage - which is what my query relates to.
Quoting my own post as it's easier

Assuming I want to fly in and out of BKK the same day, would I need to colect bags and re-check them? Or would I be able to have them checked in from KUL all the way through to AMS?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi all,

I have been out of touch with the FT world for the last couple of years as I haven't been travelling for work quite so much. Am now a lowly blue member 🙈
However, I will be travelling more frequently again soon and I'd really love to do a tier point run to regain silver status to make upcoming travel and bit more relaxing. I've started using ITA matrix but haven't found anything promising as of yet. Would be great to get 560 TPs departing from Europe. I'm Dublin-based currently so not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing with current departure offers? If anyone spots anything interesting, I would be most grateful if you could share that and hopefully my own searching over the week will be fruitful!

Thanks all and looking forward to re-engaging with the community again!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by run44
Hi all,

I have been out of touch with the FT world for the last couple of years as I haven't been travelling for work quite so much. Am now a lowly blue member 🙈
However, I will be travelling more frequently again soon and I'd really love to do a tier point run to regain silver status to make upcoming travel and bit more relaxing. I've started using ITA matrix but haven't found anything promising as of yet. Would be great to get 560 TPs departing from Europe. I'm Dublin-based currently so not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing with current departure offers? If anyone spots anything interesting, I would be most grateful if you could share that and hopefully my own searching over the week will be fruitful!

Thanks all and looking forward to re-engaging with the community again!
When are you planning to start travelling again, i.e. when do you want to ensure you have silver status?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi there, thanks for the reply!

My TP year has just ended so in the next couple of months would be ideal and from then it will be easy to maintain with planned travel. Is it worth holding off for a couple of months until after the summer period maybe?

Last edited by run44; Jun 24, 2018 at 5:54 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by run44
Hi there, thanks for the reply!

My TP year has just ended so in the next couple of months would be ideal and from then it will be easy to maintain with planned travel. Is it worth holding off for a couple of months until after the summer period maybe?
OTP-PHX is an option, but a bit of a hike from DUB. There are some runs to HEL that you could do, or maybe get over to LON and do the IB runs to Spain (various ports); you'd need to stack a few though.
run44 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:06 am

I hope someone here smarter than me can help. I need 30 TPs before July 31st, but the only spare time I have is the weekend of July 21st & 22nd. I can probably add a day either side of this.

I'm based in London, what's the cheapest way to achieve this?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
A one way in Club Europe + one way in Y to AMS / LUX / DUB - they seem to the cheap ones will get this done !
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by magictorch
I hope someone here smarter than me can help. I need 30 TPs before July 31st, but the only spare time I have is the weekend of July 21st & 22nd. I can probably add a day either side of this.

I'm based in London, what's the cheapest way to achieve this?
Why 31st July?

All TP collection years end on 8th of the month. In addition you can ask for a two week extension.

Welcome to FT

Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by madfish

Why 31st July?

All TP collection years end on 8th of the month. In addition you can ask for a two week extension.

Welcome to FT

Thanks for the welcome. I'm flying again just after that, it'll be the first time I will have achieved Gold, so keen to see what that's about. After that I won't be travelling for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.