Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
Hey guys - spent the last few days reading all the posts from Page 61 onwards. You guys are so awesome, helping each other out and so knowledgable.
My BAEC year will reset on August 8th 2018 - i need to obtain the entire lot of TP points and 4 BA flights. I am based out of BLR, India.

I have a work trip coming up in September that would net me the 4 BA flights and 210 TP - BLR-HKG-LHR-BOS-LHR-BLR. I could choose to spend 1 weekend either in LHR or HKG and another 3 days in BOS(after my official trip). So i basically need to earn 1300 TP.

Europe is ruled out for me as i need a visa (i am an indian passport holder)

I thought of doing the TP run on UL CGK-CMB-BAH-CGK. It earns 560 TP and costs £700- so comes in at £1.24pp. I could just do this trip twice.

However, would be glad to hear of any recommendations - most of asia (other than China) is pretty easy and i could do something from LHR or Boston as well.

Thanks again guys

(this is my first post)
Great first post jiteshjerome!
In addition to the above suggestions, I would add one from India on MH (and QF), which is DEL-KUL-SYD-PER which earns 840 TPs for 1062 GBP.
However, you would need a visa for Australia, which may require additional planning.
Happy flying!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

On behalf of The Ambassadors and Moderators let me welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board jiteshjerome.

This is a great thread and I hope you obtain a good fare and the TP's to go along with it. There really are quite a few extremely knowledgeable posters on this BA Board and especially this specific forum. Their knowledge never ceases to amaze me and I tip my hat to them all.

Of course feel free to chip in when you can and I hope you enjoy the BA Board but there are many other forums which may or may not interest you and it's a very diverse place indeed.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Noticed that prices for a OTP-PHX run went up by €100 compared to yesterday morning, a OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX and same routing return flight is now pricing at €1584, same run could be had yesterday for €1483
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Sorry, back to MH's KUL-PEN flights. I've booked a bunch and then read that MH is pretty strict when it comes to nested tickets and have caused some trouble to travellers in the past. So I have three tickets:
1. KUL-PEN on D and PEN-KUL on D+3 (r/t)
2. PEN-KUL on D (o/w)
3. KUL-PEN on D (o/w)
Anyone tried this without trouble? I guess it would be better asked in MH board, but maybe one of the fellow BAEC members can share their experience?
Doing the exact same thing I had no issue with MH at all

However I flew KUL-PEN twice in a day at one point and getting the TPs required some manual jiggery-pokery by BAMissingAvios (and took a few weeks) to sort out.

The rest of the TPs posted automatically.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Trying to create a TP run from JFK to perform over 2.5 days using ITA matrix

Main requirements -
1. Need a transcontinental round- trip that gets me 140+140 = 280 TP
2. As many stops as possible to obtain the 40 TP

In ITA matrix, i entered AA AA AA AA AA+ in the return routing codes and outward routing codes - this would return 5 or more stops using AA. However, major issue with this is that most/all of these flights are <2000 miles so i earn only 40 TP

Is there a way out?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by stijnec
Noticed that prices for a OTP-PHX run went up by €100 compared to yesterday morning, a OTP-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX and same routing return flight is now pricing at €1584, same run could be had yesterday for €1483
But are the reservations for €1483 at risk of being cancelled, as they obvious must be manifest mistake fares
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Fitch
Doing the exact same thing I had no issue with MH at all

However I flew KUL-PEN twice in a day at one point and getting the TPs required some manual jiggery-pokery by BAMissingAvios (and took a few weeks) to sort out.

The rest of the TPs posted automatically.
Fantastic, thanks for the data point, Fitch.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
I've got to go to Sydney and LA in July and was thinking of making sure they are one after. I can't seem to find a good routing to take them all in and get a decent price/Tier point collection - just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Roryb
I've got to go to Sydney and LA in July and was thinking of making sure they are one after. I can't seem to find a good routing to take them all in and get a decent price/Tier point collection - just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
All cheap J fares towards OZ go East I'm afraid
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
Maybe LA then Sydney - slight timetable rearrange then. Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:14 pm

Hi guys. Been lurking for a while trying to absorb as much information as possible and I have learnt a lot but found the amount of information and acronyms to be a bit overwhelming.

I need to get around 200 TPs and have until mid-Sept to do so. In that time I need to make at least one trip to TXL and was hoping to incorporate that into the run and so was looking at whether I could go somewhere else first but it looks like it doesn't work that well. For example adding AMS in:

LHR - AMS - LCY - TXL which with each segment being 40 points would meant a total of 120 per direction, e.g. 240 if I did the same in return. Or have I misunderstood how that works and it would be less TPs? Additionally I guess I'd need to look at a hotel for an overnight stay in AMS.

Does anyone have any other ideas of the best value way to accrue that many points? Additionally I saw some people were booking flights via Aer Lingus, FinnAir etc, does that still award TPs the same to my BAEC account?

Sorry for having so many questions! The information on this forum and in this thread is a truly brilliant resource, just feel like there is so much information that I wanted to get some feedback.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Once you are hooked @bastoj there is no escape!
bastoj likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hello Bastoj and welcome. I think in general flying around Europe is not TP value, other than when there are some special offer fares. Yes most flights in business in Western Europe earn 40TP*. I suspect you’ll find better value in just booking your Berlin flight as a return, and separately something like LHR-LUX as a there and back just for the TP might produce the best TP/£ return.

*There are some SH+ routes that produce 80TP, Helsinki for example.
bastoj likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
Hello Bastoj and welcome. I think in general flying around Europe is not TP value, other than when there are some special offer fares. Yes most flights in business in Western Europe earn 40TP*. I suspect you’ll find better value in just booking your Berlin flight as a return, and separately something like LHR-LUX as a there and back just for the TP might produce the best TP/£ return.

*There are some SH+ routes that produce 80TP, Helsinki for example.
Good point, if I did a return to LUX (for example) I presume then I could return the same day and wouldn't need to stay overnight for the TP to count? I read somewhere about a particular route (I think it included HEL) where someone said they needed to stay overnight which I took to mean for the points but I guess it was just because it wouldn't be possible to return the same day due to flight timings or a desire not to spend an entire day in a plane haha.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:00 pm

There seems to be some good prices from EDI to OGG and HNL at £1590 and £1800 for Jan - Mar next year but they seem to make you go only via LAX or SEA, and if you try to route via the east coast it seems to double the price.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to maximise tier points on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.