Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
How did you manage to do that?
Use the AA booking reference on the Qantas website to manage your flight, look in the seat selection area and it will say that you should go to the BA website with a different PNR, and it gives you the PNR. There are instructions on this thread, in the first few posts.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235632-post7.html <-- There.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Thanks for this. This is something similar to what I've wanted to look at for a while. Could you give me some pointers to searching for a MIA-MCO-CLT-RDU-PHL-PHX-LAS-LAX return (760 TP?) Would it also work out at a sub 1 quid per TP ?
I checked a few of the fare rules for MIA-LAX on AA, and they all seem to have this clause:

2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED
SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS ARE NOT PERMITTED.
Therefore, getting 760 TPs from these fares between those city pairs is unlikely.

However, please note that the LAX-PTY-LAX fare is actually possible in reverse -PTY-LAX-PTY for a very similar (the same?) price, should you be able to make this work - it would require positioning to PTY, of course.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
That is already of great help. I am no longer looking for this routing, but when I was trying for it yesterday the matrix kept timing out. I tried adding the intermediate hops individually but never really got the same routing and nowhere near the same price.
On big itineraries such as these with almost endless possibilities, you need to be quite specific in what you are searching for, therefore using exact flight numbers and possible MAXCONNECT 1000 to reduce the number of results being returned. This is to try to prevent Matrix timing out before giving results.
flyuk likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
At a slight tangent, have any other UK-based users of the Matrix found any pattern so the timeouts ?

Jetlag has seen me wide awake and online at 3am GMT a few times recently and I still get the message (intermittently)...
Yes, Matrix has seemed to be a little bit more buggy in the last 24 hours, either with timeouts, or messages such as "all servers are busy" which I've never personally seen before. Obviously something happening in the background.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I've had a number of PMs over the festive period regarding the OTP-PHX fare, and how to maximise the TP yield from this fare. I thought it would be wise to lay out the information here (and following on from KARFA's excellent post upthread) should anyone else be looking towards their own requalification for BA Gold in 2018.
thanks for putting this up - I struggle with ITA Matrix, posting the example was really helpful!
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:25 am

Someone might find this useful,
Lastminute.com appear to be offering to make any cash ticket refundable by way of a voucher for 90% of the airfare incl tax and fees (presumable you can actually get the taxes back from the airline directly too) if you wish to cancel for any reason for around a 10% surcharge.

Screen shots of the check out attached.

Sure wish I had clicked this a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by flyuk
I got my BA reference from the Qantas website yesterday, worked flawlessly.
I've had troubles with this. I am OWE with QF but and close to Lifetime Gold so am crediting my OPT - PHX run to BA (only Blue). Entered my BA number in AA.com and want to add my QF number to the BA PNR (free seat selection as well as 1A on the 747). Just won't accept it! Even the F ticketing desk at T5 couldn't do it. Very strange.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:36 am

As a continuation from a previous post on the LAX-PTY fare, I've had a few questions on how to make this more time efficient whilst also maximising the number of sectors, therefore TPs. This is similar to a post I made in the 2017 thread, but I am sure it will be useful to lay it here in the 2018 version for reference.

I am not going to lay out all the same details again (use the link above for more detail), but this itinerary is designed to be more efficient with time, however I can only find a way of getting 15 sectors in 3 days (instead of 16 sectors over 3.5 days as before). This takes advantage of the fact that you can effectively double-back on your self in and out of PTY on the same day (but not necessarily on the same aircraft). This gives a yield of 800 TPs for £731, or £0.91 (slightly higher than £0.87 of the longer itinerary).

The routing codes are as follows (copy/paste these into the respective search fields):

Depart: LAX
Outbound routing codes:
AA1929 PHX AA1814,AA1803 PHL AA1990,AA1975 CLT AA4502,AA1919,AA2037,AA2502,AA463,AA746,AA2038,AA699 MCO,TPA,ATL,JAX AA1332,AA937,AA1461,AA2236,AA139,AA4698 MIA AA4720
Outbound extension codes: maxconnect 1000; f bc=i

Destination: PTY
Return routing codes:
AA1474 MIA AA MCO,TPA,ATL,JAX AA CLT AA RDU AA PHL,BOS,NYC,WAS AA PHL,BOS,NYC,WAS AA PHL,BOS,NYC,WAS AA PHX
Return extension codes: maxconnect 1000; f bc=i

Select cheapest available for the Cabin, since you have specified an I fare in the extension codes.

You will see that the return routing codes are more flexible, since there are a multitude of options to select, but do ensure that you do not select a Y sector that quite often pops up in or out of LGA (where single class aircraft are used).

Do remember that you can route this fare PTY-LAX-PTY for the same price, if that is more appropriate for your needs. You can just swap the origin and destination around with the respective routing codes which should work.

Booking is best done by using ITA Powertools, porting your booking over to AA.com US version for easy payment (and seat selection). Other booking and payment options are in post 4 of this thread.

Prize for anyone who can fit 16 sectors into 3 days
Blue Skye, Ned1968 and MrPrice16 like this.

Last edited by rossmacd; Jan 29, 2018 at 9:18 am Reason: formatting
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Baec Bronze
As a continuation from a previous post on the LAX-PTY fare, I've had a few questions on how to make this more time efficient whilst also maximising the number of sectors, therefore TPs. This is similar to a post I made in the 2017 thread, but I am sure it will be useful to lay it here in the 2018 version for reference.

I am not going to lay out all the same details again (use the link above for more detail), but this itinerary is designed to be more efficient with time, however I can only find a way of getting 15 sectors in 3 days (instead of 16 sectors over 3.5 days as before). This takes advantage of the fact that you can effectively double-back on your self in and out of PTY on the same day (but not necessarily on the same aircraft). This gives a yield of 800 TPs for £731, or £0.91 (slightly higher than £0.87 of the longer itinerary).

The routing codes are as follows (copy/paste these into the respective search fields):

Depart: LAX
Outbound routing codes: AA1929 PHX AA1814,AA1803 PHL AA1990,AA1975 CLT AA4502,AA1919,AA2037,AA2502,AA463,AA746,AA2038,AA699 MCO,TPA,ATL,JAX AA1332,AA937,AA1461,AA2236,AA139,AA4698 MIA AA4720
Outbound extension codes: maxconnect 1000; f bc=i

Destination: PTY
Return routing codes: AA1474 MIA AA MCO,TPA,ATL,JAX AA CLT AA RDU AA PHL,BOS,NYC,WAS AA PHL,BOS,NYC,WAS AA PHL,BOS,NYC,WAS AA PHX
Return extension codes: maxconnect 1000; f bc=i

Select cheapest available for the Cabin, since you have specified an I fare in the extension codes.

You will see that the return routing codes are more flexible, since there are a multitude of options to select, but do ensure that you do not select a Y sector that quite often pops up in or out of LGA (where single class aircraft are used).

Do remember that you can route this fare PTY-LAX-PTY for the same price, if that is more appropriate for your needs. You can just swap the origin and destination around with the respective routing codes which should work.

Booking is best done by using ITA Powertools, porting your booking over to AA.com US version for easy payment (and seat selection). Other booking and payment options are in post 4 of this thread.

Hi rossmacd
Just trying this routing in ITA and there is a space crept in between the AA6 and 99 just before MCO on the outward routing on the original text but not showing when i copied for for reply to quote i have underlined the problem.
Apart from that this is what i have been looking for on my trip to the USA at the end of june.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by the storm fisherman
Hi rossmacd
Just trying this routing in ITA and there is a space crept in between the AA6 and 99 just before MCO on the outward routing on the original text but not showing when i copied for for reply to quote i have underlined the problem.
Apart from that this is what i have been looking for on my trip to the USA at the end of june.
Thank you! For some reason the FT formatting is putting that space in - I've used an underline to prevent the space. Weird!

Glad you can make use of this itinerary ^
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH

Is it possible to use the month search on ITA to see at a glance where this prices out the cheapest? I tried, based on your posted routing, to select one night, or zero nights but it won't give me any results.

Prize? Other than tier points properly posting? LOL!

ETA: I cannot replicate this routing, even with all your routing codes. I'll keep trying random dates, but that is slow going selecting dates through an entire month.

ETA, again: found it in May, but not April, which is when I wanted to try this. *sigh* so nevermind about the "not finding" it comment.

Last edited by Blue Skye; Jan 29, 2018 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Is it possible to use the month search on ITA to see at a glance where this prices out the cheapest? I tried, based on your posted routing, to select one night, or zero nights but it won't give me any results.

Prize? Other than tier points properly posting? LOL!

ETA: I cannot replicate this routing, even with all your routing codes. I'll keep trying random dates, but that is slow going selecting dates through an entire month.

ETA, again: found it in May, but not April, which is when I wanted to try this. *sigh* so nevermind about the "not finding" it comment.
If you want to do the run in April, I can possibly help you find something suitable (there are many combinations!). Couple of questions:
  1. Which direction - LAX-PTY-LAX or PTY-LAX-PTY?
  2. What departure date?
  3. How many sectors? 16 or less?
  4. Back to back in PTY or stay 1 night?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
If you want to do the run in April, I can possibly help you find something suitable (there are many combinations!). Couple of questions:
  2. What departure date?
well, okay, if you insist.

I have to be in LA for the 21st of April, and rested since I'm volunteering at a fund raising event. Though thinking this through, perhaps I should position to PTY from WAS, then have a stop over in LA for the needed date, and nest the run between the WAS-PTY (this doesn't need to be a TP run but optimized if possible) flight. So WAS-PTY//PTY-LAX stopover-PTY//PTY-WAS. Hope I correctly typed what I was trying to explain.

So far, I cannot get matrix to show me anything for any date (LAX-PTY) for April, but May and later comes up fine.

ETA: apologies for not answering your exact queries.
1) either direction but explained a bit about timing
2) date of where I need to be to schedule around
3) the routing you showed in your original post is fine. I don't want to do myself in. LOL!
4) prefer to not stay if I don't have to, but won't rule it 100% out of the mix.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:22 pm

2. What departure date?
If you are looking for someone else to help :-) , I am looking for a run as well. I'll be able to travel from LAX (but also SAN, LAS and SFO in a pinch) between April 14 to April 27
1. LAX
2. April 14 to 27
3. Maximum :-)
4. Stay a night or two.

BTW: I found your suggested route May 6 to May 9 At £715.20 (all flights book in "I") which is crazy.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Looking at the OTP-PHX via a variation with a direct flight home to LHR after the JFK->LAX transcon - I don't need all the TP and I fancy 10 hours in F on the way back. I have a trip on hold at AA, and can't really resist all that F.

Before I press the button, any difficulties or penalties if I skip the last LHR-OTP leg on AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.