Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by happeemonkee

I returned a couple of weeks ago from a trip where I did this twice (via DXB rather than AUH) and there were no questions asked except for the purpose of my visit entering immigration in Jakarta. I did actually tell the officer it was a mileage run I did one night stopovers in Jakarta an Dubai
Hello and happy new year to all of you! Thank you for sharing this.
I just booked a AUH-CMB-CGK trip as I need to get to Asia - £490 on mytrip (no fees)
What I wanted to share for those of you looking to book this is: I positioned using BA LHR-AUH - in WTP. Booked with BA £612 but price match with one of the sites off SkyScanner (£564) so get £100 voucher back as an exec member. I make that £1003 for 740tp so £1.35/tp.

Quick question to anyone who did this holding a UK passport: did you need a transit visa of any kind for CMB?

All the best!

Last edited by TheSuj; Dec 31, 2018 at 9:22 am Reason: missing class for BA flight
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by TheSuj
Quick question to anyone who did this holding a UK passport: did you need a transit visa of any kind for CMB?
Welcome to FT!

As this is one ticket, no transit visa is required at CMB.

The only time I've had any issues at CMB was a few years ago when transiting between two separate tickets and I had to clear immigration. It wasn't a problem in the end, but it took ten minutes to get sorted.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG, BA
Fairly new to this, and my first time in this position but due to plenty of Qatar flights this year, I'm now 20 tier points (and 1 flight) short of Gold.

What are the quickest / easiest routes to get this?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:47 pm

Assuming you're starting in LON a return to EDI, MAN or GLA etc. in a WT bucket that earns 10 TP each way, you may need to call to book as the website won't necessarily give you the choice as it usually books into the 5 TP bucket.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m planning to travel to HKG in the next few months from MAN (UK), just wondering whether there’s any worthwhile TP runs that I should look at?

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
... I'm now 20 tier points (and 1 flight) short of Gold.

What are the quickest / easiest routes to get this?
Look at flights from LON to AMS, BCN, NCE, VCE in N class, may cost £130 return. Carnival weekend is Sat 2nd March if you fancy something like that.

LCY-MAN on Fridays or MAN-LCY on Sundays can be cheap in CE for 40TPs.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Dec 31, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Definilogy
...I’m planning to travel to HKG in the next few months from MAN (UK), just wondering whether there’s any worthwhile TP runs that I should look at?
What travel class were you thinking of and how long do you want to be away for?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:11 am

PEY or business class?

it’ll be for about 9 days.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (Oh yeah!)
Hi All,

This feels like my annual pilgrimage to this thread, as with your help last year I got over the line for Gold with a bit of creative help from yourselves (again many thanks for the help last year)

Following a couple of large UK projects this Autumn I'm TP light to retain gold (currently only 700). But have a few trips in the Spring that I need to plan, so I'm hoping (pleading) for a few pointers again.

Jan - I need to be in NY on the 28th or 29th for 1 day, then on to LA for the remainder of the week, then back to UK
Feb - I'm in Miami (reward flights) but will hop up to Orlando for a few days so that's 20TPs earned.
Apr - Trade show in Vegas, outbound before 8th April (my Yearend) and back a few days later after my year end (so a potential few extra TPs through the 2 week extension)

I've done the ex-Eu previously so happy to do again, even go the long way round (I'm getting to quote enjoy visiting new airports), I've been on google flights trying to piece together the January trip to earn a good TP return, my budget is normally around £2k but a bit of flexibility, I've tried starting in Bucharest (as I'd seen this mentioned up thread), OSL and HEL along with DUB but can't seen to get below £3.8k (due to me probably getting my multi stops and layovers all mixed up)

Any help on creative routing etc is gratefully received.

Happy flying in 2019
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adieacc

Feb - I'm in Miami (reward flights) but will hop up to Orlando for a few days so that's 20TPs earned.

20 TP? Find some kind of indirect route on AA in their F to get 160 or even 240 TPs. Or skip Orlando and TP run to Hawaii...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:13 am

Smile

Originally Posted by TheSuj
Hello and happy new year to all of you! Thank you for sharing this.
I just booked a AUH-CMB-CGK trip as I need to get to Asia - £490 on mytrip (no fees)
What I wanted to share for those of you looking to book this is: I positioned using BA LHR-AUH - in WTP. Booked with BA £612 but price match with one of the sites off SkyScanner (£564) so get £100 voucher back as an exec member. I make that £1003 for 740tp so £1.35/tp.

All the best!
Happy NY folks!

I'm pretty much doing the same route! LHR-AUH in WTP (then Dammam, KSA for a work trip). Return DMM-AUH then doing a TP run AUH-CMB-CGK with a 1 night stop over.

For Indonesia, you'll just ride on a Visa Free short visit if your stay is for 30 days max once immigration stamp your book. No sure about transit via CMB, as you're connecting then don't think there's any requirement. Someone else will confirm or put me right...

When you heading out there?

Last edited by chapers; Jan 2, 2019 at 3:15 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Happy New Year dear friends !
I'd appreciate your brains. Planning on going to SGN for business in January for 5 days. Looking at 600+ TP for less than £2000, possible?

Many Thanks!
Yann
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Morning all. Do we not have a 2019 thread at the moment?

Anyone got any ideas for PVG or CAN in June? ex-BUD on AY at under £1400 is ok but not earth-shattering.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Morning all. Do we not have a 2019 thread at the moment?

Anyone got any ideas for PVG or CAN in June? ex-BUD on AY at under £1400 is ok but not earth-shattering.
KARFA is writing up the primer for the 2019 thread. As the process requires considerable energy to develop the narrative, produce diagrams and proof read before launching, please be patient while he works on this - you won't be disappointed.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IAANN
Happy New Year dear friends !
I'd appreciate your brains. Planning on going to SGN for business in January for 5 days. Looking at 600+ TP for less than £2000, possible?

Many Thanks!
Yann
Maybe what I am doing? LHR-AUH on BA WTP for £560 (or direct with BA for £612 and got a £100 price match voucher)
The AUH-CMB-CGK on UL £490 (using MyTrip). Then a budget Asian airline to SGN from there. You'll get 740tp for £1050 + flights to SGN. Also noticed that you may be able to upgrade the return AUH-LHR for £50 + 24k avios to club which seems well worth it for the overnight leg.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Welcome to FT!

As this is one ticket, no transit visa is required at CMB.

The only time I've had any issues at CMB was a few years ago when transiting between two separate tickets and I had to clear immigration. It wasn't a problem in the end, but it took ten minutes to get sorted.
thanks Wozza!

Originally Posted by chapers
Happy NY folks!

I'm pretty much doing the same route! LHR-AUH in WTP (then Dammam, KSA for a work trip). Return DMM-AUH then doing a TP run AUH-CMB-CGK with a 1 night stop over.

For Indonesia, you'll just ride on a Visa Free short visit if your stay is for 30 days max once immigration stamp your book. No sure about transit via CMB, as you're connecting then don't think there's any requirement. Someone else will confirm or put me right...

When you heading out there?
Next week! Decided to stop in SIN and maybe KUL / REP for a little bit too before I return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.