Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
For those looking at the ARN/GOT-MIA deal this is what I'm doing over NYE, booked a couple of weeks back.

If like me you like the extra TPs but you're not keen hopping around in the US in 737s etc then it's worth reviewing routing options because AA are currently operating plenty of wide-body aircraft domestically allowing you to do it in Long Haul comfort

ARN-HEL A321
HEL-LHR A350
LHR-ORD B747 UUA to FIRST
ORD-DFW B787
DFW-MIA B777

MIA-DFW B777
DFW-ORD B787
ORD-LHR B747 UUA to FIRST
LHR-HEL A350
ARN-HEL A319

This came to £1,090 when I booked, I haven't played around with the date ranges next year but for my dates there were plenty of options to grab long haul aircraft on the internal US flights (as well as the A350 from HEL). If I hadn't done ORD I would most likely have booked via IAH on the 787 (UUA to FIRST) and then on via DFW to get the 777 to MIA which was also bookable for just over £1,100.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by ab007
For those looking at the ARN/GOT-MIA deal this is what I'm doing over NYE, booked a couple of weeks back.

If like me you like the extra TPs but you're not keen hopping around in the US in 737s etc then it's worth reviewing routing options because AA are currently operating plenty of wide-body aircraft domestically allowing you to do it in Long Haul comfort

ARN-HEL A321
HEL-LHR A350
LHR-ORD B747 UUA to FIRST
ORD-DFW B787
DFW-MIA B777

MIA-DFW B777
DFW-ORD B787
ORD-LHR B747 UUA to FIRST
LHR-HEL A350
ARN-HEL A319

This came to £1,090 when I booked, I haven't played around with the date ranges next year but for my dates there were plenty of options to grab long haul aircraft on the internal US flights (as well as the A350 from HEL). If I hadn't done ORD I would most likely have booked via IAH on the 787 (UUA to FIRST) and then on via DFW to get the 777 to MIA which was also bookable for just over £1,100.
That's a nice routing. I am doing this run around NYE too, but I wasn't able to have all those US domestic transfers, due to time constrain on outbound and price increase on inbound.
My routing is ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-MIA-ATL-DFW-FRA-LHR-ARN, with AY A350 to LHR, AA 777 to JFK, 767 to MIA, 787 to FRA.
I don't mind the 737/320 for the shorter legs in and out ATL
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by squawk
Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to get the ARN/GOT-HEL-LHR-x-MIA run to work with the A350 on either the inbound or outbound? I.e. evening flight to Helsinki then the 08:00 flight to London heading out, or an overnight getting in early then getting the 10:20-ish to HEL? Or is this disallowed somewhere in the fare rules?
I got it working in the Easter both ways from GOT. I am flying GOT-HEL-LHR-PHL-MIA. I booked the A350 both ways under BA code for more Avios. Managed to upgrade the LHR-PHL flight to F also on the 747 with Avios Have reserved 1A so hope that is a good seat.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Hi,

I have a gap of a couple of weeks and looking to do a tier points run and combine a few nights away! Needs to be from the 9th January or a day or two after! I dont mind heading East or West in Business Class and happy with lots of connections. I did think about getting to PVG and doing a PVG-CMB run (360 TP) or get to MLE and do a MLE-DPS (560TP) but wasnt sure if there were any good runs I could do if I went West instead?

All thoughts much appreciated!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
The ARN-MIA widebody run looks really interesting! Just making sure, what qualifies as a BA flight for the purpose of "4 BA flights"? BA metal AND flight number or just one of these two options?

Last edited by Alec84; Dec 1, 2018 at 2:23 am
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Alec84
The ARN-MIA widebody run looks really interesting! Just making sure, what qualifies as a BA flight for the purpose of "4 BA flights"? BA metal AND flight number or just one of these two options?
See "02 What is an eligible flight?" in the thread Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios 2018 edition
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
I've actually read that part some time in the past. Sorry and thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks. The 2nd option and forgetting the last flights works well. I actually get enough TP to enable me to have the freedom of choosing direct, cheap Soutwest flights too.

I might hang on until the New Year with the hope of bagging a better fare, but I really like the routing. I’ve never done the transcon flights on AA
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
Best fares (for TPs) to Japan are ex-DME (Moscow) right now. 1600 GBP for DME-LHR-HKG-NRT on lie-flat all the way if you pick the right flights, and that's 640TP. Nothing else comes really close sadly - so much so that I've been pondering Air France for that trip...
That fare has been around a long time. (CX fare basis: ILARRRU8, 1263 GBP+taxes). Unfortunately a stopover in LHR is only allowed on the inbound. You can also route to HND, CX548/549 has guaranteed long haul J seats. The only permitted routing at the moment is DME-LHR-HKG-TYO/CTS/KIX/FUK (plus many other Asian cities, the fare to Vietnam is even a little bit cheaper) with DME-LHR on BA and LHR-HKG-XXX on CX/KA.

The fare is also available to CTS, though you will get the regional J on HKG-CTS. However, HKG-CTS is just over 2000 miles, which means you get 140 TPs for the flight That gets the TP count for the entire trip up to 840.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:26 am

About TP runs & BA agents reactions on the phone...

I had to phone to BA to pay for a ARN-MIA booking, made with the help of the always wonderful Dutch_122
I called UK gold line and got a young lady, that transferred me to some sort of European Sale Office because the price was in Euro.

The man that picks up the call greets me, then I suppose looks at the booking and says "Wow, that's a really good price! ...Wait... this is too much a good price... Let me put you on hold a moment..."
2 Min on hold and he comes back, thanking me for the wait and saying "Well, it is a very good price! I have to suggest it to some colleague!"
And then we went on to finish what was needed to ticket it
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
About TP runs & BA agents reactions on the phone...

I had to phone to BA to pay for a ARN-MIA booking
I called UK gold line and got a young lady, that transferred me to some sort of European Sale Office because the price was in Euro.

The man that picks up the call greets me, then I suppose looks at the booking and says "Wow, that's a really good price! ...Wait... this is too much a good price... Let me put you on hold a moment..."
2 Min on hold and he comes back, thanking me for the wait and saying "Well, it is a very good price! I have to suggest it to some colleague!" And then we went on to finish what was needed to ticket it

would you mind telling me your exact routing?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
would you mind telling me your exact routing?
I wrote it few posts ago.
ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-MIA-ATL-DFW-FRA-LHR-ARN, with AY A350 to LHR, AA 777 to JFK, 767 to MIA, 787 to FRA.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it (and correct me if I'm wrong) but ARN-MIA can be pushed to 800TP with an couple of LGW-AGPs shoehorned in there for £1279 (AA.com through bookwithmatrix)
ARN-HEL-AGP-LGW¦LHR-JFK-MIA-JFK/CHS(787)-LHR¦LGW-AGP-HEL-ARN
40+140+40+140+40+40+140+40+140+40
Could be A350 opportunities on AGP-HEL (but not for my dates)
our_kid, flyerkit, squawk and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
120 tier points needed

Does anyone have recommendations how to get 120 tier points relatively cheaply, leaving from the U.K. and without taking a train to somewhere within the UK (i.e. departure airport = arrival airport... preferably LHR).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:54 am

There are some spanish cities, malaga seville where you can get cheap returns connecting through Madrid each way for 120 ( 40+20+20+40).
Tinseltown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.