Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:30 am

Is would suggest an Original Routing Credit. Get in contact with BA.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by victairinternational
WhAt is the absolute cheapest way of getting these? I assumed a domesticClub seat, but they are not showing up that cheap. I am London based. Thanks
What does "not that cheap" mean? LHR-AMS (CE) and AMS-LHR (ET) can be had for GBP190, for 45 TPs. GBP159 if you swap the J segment to the inbound.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by jerub
Does anyone have any specific advice for maximising tier points using round-the-world tickets.

I see a rtw in J is £6200 + airport taxes, and can include 16 segments.

My required destinations are SYD, SFO and NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA) and im based in London.

I can trivially make this 700 TP by routing LHR-SIN-SYD-SFO-JFK-LHR, but I'm certain I can turn this into a legit tier point run with some good advice.

Would prefer to minimise the overnight stays on the way: creative routing is easier to justify than hotel stays, but not a hard requirement.
RTW with this itinerary can yield over 2000TP if you have the time to fly them A rough idea to start with could be:

LHR-DME-LHR-DOH-SIN-SYD-PER-SYD-DFW-HNL-SFO-JFK-LHR

If my memory serves right it should work, it can be done better but don't have too much time on my hands right now. That would be 1680 tp with room for at least 560 more (probably by adding segments in Asia)

Last edited by thebigben; Nov 19, 2018 at 1:53 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't backtrack between Hawaii and North America But you certainly could do NRT-HNL-LAX-PHL-SFO-JFK (for example). (Though doing Asia first, then SW Pacific, then North America - i.e. Asia-PER-SYD-HNL-US48 - would work if you want to do both Asia and SW Pacific continents.)

Also can't go back to LHR (or indeed the UK) if you start there.

Last edited by typical; Nov 19, 2018 at 2:27 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by typical
You can't backtrack between Hawaii and North America But you certainly could do NRT-HNL-LAX-PHL-SFO-JFK (for example). (Though doing Asia first, then SW Pacific, then North America - i.e. Asia-PER-SYD-HNL-US48 - would work if you want to do both Asia and SW Pacific continents.)

Also can't go back to LHR (or indeed the UK) if you start there.
IIRC ex-OSL is a good starting point for a DONE4/DONE5 isn't it?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flashware
IIRC ex-OSL is a good starting point for a DONE4/DONE5 isn't it?
USD 6287 for DONE4
USD 7796 for DONE5

Pretty decent...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by awoxp
Just booked this myself - had to push mine till after 8th July TP reset
That looks like a pretty nice TPrun. It would yield 720 TPs, do I get this right?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Maze13
That looks like a pretty nice TPrun. It would yield 720 TPs, do I get this right?
680 I think. Still nice for the price.
40+80+140+40+40. Then 40+40+140+80+40. Nothing for LCY-SNN it one flight to NY.

Last edited by dougzz; Nov 19, 2018 at 3:00 am Reason: Add explanation.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by dougzz

680 I think. Still nice for the price.
40+80+140+40+40. Then 40+40+140+80+40. Nothing for LCY-SNN it one flight to NY.
LCY-SNN, there was my mistake. Thanks. But still it is only 1,6 £ / TP. I think I might go for silver then.

Last edited by Maze13; Nov 19, 2018 at 3:13 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just booked an ARN->MIA run starting 1st August and returning 5th. 640 TP for £1080. It's arranged to kill a few birds with one stone: the Jumbo hotel at ARN where I have the flight deck suite booked (taking the family out to Stockholm for a mini-break at the front end of the trip), then the Babybus and upper deck on the 747 from JFK which curiously enough I've never done. Also arranged so the overnights are not in New York but Miami where it's a little less expensive, and plenty of lounge time in JFK.

It was a pig to book. I had a perfectly legal routing for 680TP (similar to the GOT one) which Matrix was happy with, but I couldn't get AA to price up properly, every time I confirmed payment it did a reprice for treble the price. I couldn't duplicate GOT either. Finally I figured out that by dropping one transfer leg everything would be OK, so I knocked out one of the US 40 TP ones. Hopefully AA will do some sort of rerouting in due course. Might be a distance thing, I couldn't find anything obvious in the fare rules. Any insights welcome.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:07 am

ARN/GOT to MIA is pretty nice. There are some short(er) turnarounds. Here's search criteria I found easier (combined with the screenshots above and playing with routing)... just have to find myself positioning to Sweden and I'd jump on it.

disclaimer, I'm based in the USA hence the USD. I'm used to TP runs on the east coast. Had some luck swapping out DCA with the usual suspects (CLT, PHL)

ex:

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton honors Silver
Originally Posted by mini__me
Awesome! Thanks @PETER01 Yes I am UK based, I’d heard that INV was cheaper but that’s a good saving
mini_me, I live in Indy and generally find that when flying on my own nickel the last leg from ORD to IND can significantly hike the overall fare. The result being most of the time I grab a one-way rental car and make the 3 hour drive up to ORD. It's an easy drive, Interstate all the way, most of it signposted at 70 MPH, and 4 tolls on I-294. If you're thinking about renting a car for the 500 weekend anyway and assuming a reasonable mileage allowance, then you'd have zero added cost for the car apart from gas and ~$5 in tolls on I-294. From a quick Kayak check of the INV-LHR-ORD-IND route, you'd save $1,000 on a RT biz class fare by cutting out IND. Put another way, the incremental cost of the TPs for the ORD-IND-ORD routing works out ~$12/TP. Some other considerations:

1. Indy is a midsize city so everything travel-related books out for the 500 weekend- hotels, rental cars, probably even the few hundred Birds/Limes around the IUPUI campus. I had the bad luck one year of trying to rent a u-haul panel van on the 500 weekend only to learn that this is a cheap hotel workaround- folks use them for sleeping tail-gating you name it. So, if you do decide to go figure out everything you need and then book well in advance.
2. ORD-IND flights are regularly delayed/cancelled- ORD is notorious for weather delays and congested air corridors. And May can get a lot of T-storm activity in the Midwest. A big reason I resorted to driving was controlling my own destiny. It's bad enough getting held up ORD-IND when at least you're nearing the end of the itinerary, but the other way can really mess with your onward travel. If you decide to fly into/out of Indy then try to anticipate this- like avoid being on the last ORD-LHR flight or schedule a decent connection in ORD.
3. O'Hare skytrain maintenance. Terminal 5 where BA flights arrive in ORD is linked by a sky train to Terminal 3 where you'd connect to the Indy flight. The system known as the ATS is undergoing a major rehab through sometime next year, and is generally out of service Mon-Fri. In its place there are buses that are laid on, but it's been disastrous at times. This past weekend there were reports of queues of 500 ppl. Flying American LHR-ORD would take that out of the equation as they operate entirely out of Terminal 3- international and domestic.

I'm not really a 500 fan but I've been several to the Speedway several times over the years both for the race and events in the runup. It's really professionally run. If you get a chance the box suites over the starting grid are great. They're glassed in but you can head out and up to a viewing deck on top to get the visceral sense of the race. Enjoy the experience!
mini__me likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by commontraveller
Flying American LHR-ORD would take that out of the equation as they operate entirely out of Terminal 3- international and domestic.
Unfortunately thats not the case although I wish it was. CBP/Immigration is only in T5, so AA arrives at T5 like everyone else and then the aircraft is towed over to T3, so you still have to get the ATS or replacement bus. AA Int'l departures are from T3 though.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton honors Silver
Originally Posted by Airprox
Unfortunately thats not the case although I wish it was. CBP/Immigration is only in T5, so AA arrives at T5 like everyone else and then the aircraft is towed over to T3, so you still have to get the ATS or replacement bus. AA Int'l departures are from T3 though.
Ah- thanks, goes to show I've never arrived at O'Hare on AA. Should've noticed AA flight numbers on the luggage belts I guess.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Just booked an ARN->MIA run starting 1st August and returning 5th. 640 TP for £1080. It's arranged to kill a few birds with one stone: the Jumbo hotel at ARN where I have the flight deck suite booked (taking the family out to Stockholm for a mini-break at the front end of the trip), then the Babybus and upper deck on the 747 from JFK which curiously enough I've never done. Also arranged so the overnights are not in New York but Miami where it's a little less expensive, and plenty of lounge time in JFK.

It was a pig to book. I had a perfectly legal routing for 680TP (similar to the GOT one) which Matrix was happy with, but I couldn't get AA to price up properly, every time I confirmed payment it did a reprice for treble the price. I couldn't duplicate GOT either. Finally I figured out that by dropping one transfer leg everything would be OK, so I knocked out one of the US 40 TP ones. Hopefully AA will do some sort of rerouting in due course. Might be a distance thing, I couldn't find anything obvious in the fare rules. Any insights welcome.

Has anyone been able to find something like this but for Jan/Feb/March? Everything I am seeing is either pre Jan or in July..... Need a TP Run for the first quarter of the year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.