Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OWBA
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2017 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from JER to PDX IKN8T1S6 reported in this post, e.g. PDX £1,082, needs to be booked by 8 May, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8C8S4 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,296, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,340, see linked post for details

See here in post #9 for a 2018 archive of exEU sale fare, and see this post in the 2017 thread for last years’ archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe
Code:
3Feb 200TPs DUB-LHR-HEL/HEL-LHR all I class ba.com
From North, Central and South America

23Sep £1.48/TP £650 (US$853) 440 TPs JFK-CLT/BOS-LAX-LAS and return all I class aa.com
6Sep £1.50/TP US$457 240TPs RIC-CLT-DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA/PHL-CLT-RIC all I class aa.com
Jan/Feb wide open £1.94/TP £700(US$883) 360 TPs SEA-CLT-MCO-PHX-SEA all I class aa.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
18Jan £1.58/TP £883 560 CMB-xHKG-CGK return I cathaypacific.com ermen CX
28Feb £1.44/TP £575 400 MCT-DOH-BKK-DOH-MCT A/R/R/A travel.americanexpress.co.uk QR
21Feb £1.53/TP £860 560 HKG-CMB-MEL return I Expedia.com.hk Firemin UL
16Mar £1.22/TP £687 560 CGK-CMB-DXB return I srilankan.com Firemin UL
01Apr £0.87/TP £314 360 PEN-KUL-KTM return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.19/TP £335 280 KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
01Apr £1.28/TP £335 360 PEN-KUL-PER return Malaysian.com cgtechuk MH
05Apr £2.00/TP £320 160 CAN-HKG-TPE return CathayPacific.com littlevoices CX/KA (flexible fare, bookable up to 24 hours in advance, allows stopovers, book with CX directly)

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post #4 of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread, MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2017 Archive
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bisonrav
<div style="text-align:left;">Mods, can I suggest (and I don't mind starting) an "I need xxx points by" thread to weed out some of the requests from this thread?<br /><br />Probably like many here I enjoy making suggestions and looking for deals when people ask, on the basis that the fun of this is solving little puzzles and you can't fly everything yourself, but mixing them up with the TP deals discussion means wading through two essentially different subjects.<br /><br />Suggestion would be a thread with a short wiki post requesting number of points, date required by, and location/budget, plus active deals for 50, 100, 200 TPs.</div>
<br /><br />Completely agree. There was a 2017 wiki with regular updates but the 2018 page is no longer updated. Would be fantastic !
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by IAANN
<br /><br />Completely agree. There was a 2017 wiki with regular updates but the 2018 page is no longer updated. Would be fantastic !
One problem is that a lot of these runs last a very short time and minutes or hours or a day later, the fare has gone and never gets updated to reflect this.

Used to be loads of people trying to book say DUB-LCY-JFK-LAX-HNL nenear a year after it ceased to be the lovely 1200+ TP for £1100 or whatever.

Sure they act as guidelines, but not everyone has the knowhow with regards to manipulating them.

I know bits and pieces but still can't do 95% of what some here do and would never find these "book now or lose it" fares in a month of Sundays.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:50 am

I Know (call me stupid)

Just a leisure traveller that flies ABZ-LHR (Y) 5 or 6 times a year and ABZ-SIN (J) once every 2 years.

Just recently come into some significant money and I have 18 days off from 23rd Oct with my year ending in 8th June and only have 70tp's as of now. Now I know nearly everyone of you here will be thinking I am stupid and you will just be agreeing what my wife has said to me many times, but I want to be Gold once in my life and do this basically over 2 weeks (wife can't get off so will just be me).

I am planning a family holiday next year to New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles so being Gold will benefit this run also.

So what is the best TPruns and cheapest way of getting Gold over the fortnight.

I am ready to take the flack from quite a few posters so bring it on as long as you can help with the TP runs

Thanks in advance

SheepyAFC
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread
ajeleonard and Lefly like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Can be a Q&A thread of course. I sort of agree about the deals being transitory, but these mostly concern the higher TP earners which are rightly a subject for this thread. There are a few stalwarts, like how to earn 20, 50, 120 TPs efficiently.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:02 am

What is your budget, and is there anywhere you hanker after going? It's quite a job at short notice, be warned about that. You need to be looking at multiple hops in business class, there may be some ex Bangkok fares on Malaysian that you can do a few of.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Pretty sure you could do 18 ABZ-LHR returns in CE over the course of a fortnight!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Would suggest you get yourself to Dubai (about £632 on WT+ and 180 TP), then use the Dubai to Jakarta via Colombo fare on Sri Lankan of about £640 for 560 TP twice. That is 1300 TP. Then you have various options for the other 200 TP (including maybe flying around SE Asia a bit from Jakarta on one of the trips, possibly on Malaysian or Cathay Pacific).

All these seem to be available in your timeframe, not massive breakers of the bank. Make sure you get 4 BA legs in.

[EDIT], sorry about london-centricity - you'll get the 4 legs if you fly to LHR to get the Dubai flight obviously, missed that. Also be aware that gold benefits with a family are a bit illusory as it'll only be you plus a guest in the lounge, same goes for the gold wing if you go out and in through there. You get to choose seats, but there are cheaper ways of doing that.

Last edited by bisonrav; Sep 17, 2018 at 8:22 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Ugh, tedious. Clicking the "Book Flights" button in the quote email takes me to a page displaying that "multi same flight" error.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by SheepyAFC
Just a leisure traveller that flies ABZ-LHR (Y) 5 or 6 times a year and ABZ-SIN (J) once every 2 years.

Just recently come into some significant money and I have 18 days off from 23rd Oct with my year ending in 8th June and only have 70tp's as of now. Now I know nearly everyone of you here will be thinking I am stupid and you will just be agreeing what my wife has said to me many times, but I want to be Gold once in my life and do this basically over 2 weeks (wife can't get off so will just be me).

I am planning a family holiday next year to New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles so being Gold will benefit this run also.

I am ready to take the flack from quite a few posters so bring it on as long as you can help with the TP runs

Thanks in advance

SheepyAFC
Very easy to get Gold doing a Round the World . See the One World thread. Easy to get 2240 tps and if you already have your required BA flights , you can fly the partners J class to see how it stacks up against BA. OSL is a close starting point with a good fare.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Yes, you need to set them up again in the multi-flight tool.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is there somewhere you would quite like to go to anyway, taking perhaps double advantage of this unique opportunity? And I don't think you need to justify what you are doing, particularly not to some of the assembled here.
T8191, Tafflyer, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by SheepyAFC

Thanks in advance

SheepyAFC
Don't worry about how it sounds. I'm just like you and I'm sure there are others here that would agree too.

New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles in one trip sound like a perfect routing for a TP run, though. Would you consider going from Silver to Gold then?

AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS return in club is fairly good value (~1650 quid) and you could get 720 TP for it. Stopovers can be added for a reasonable fee.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BA GGL , HH Gold, UA Plat
Originally Posted by thebigben
Don't worry about how it sounds. I'm just like you and I'm sure there are others here that would agree too.

New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles in one trip sound like a perfect routing for a TP run, though. Would you consider going from Silver to Gold then?

AMS-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS return in club is fairly good value (~1650 quid) and you could get 720 TP for it. Stopovers can be added for a reasonable fee.
I am considering doing something similar. Is there a minimum number of nights you need to spend in LAS? I'd be looking to spend the minimum number of night in LAS, preferably one night.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by James31
I am considering doing something similar. Is there a minimum number of nights you need to spend in LAS? I'd be looking to spend the minimum number of night in LAS, preferably one night.
You don't have to leave the airport and can come back the same day - Dublin is cheaper at £1565
taylorj6 and James31 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.