Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am flying one segment on BA CW on a ticket issued by Air Canada. Is it possible to upgrade my BA segment from CW to F using my avios?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am flying one segment on BA CW on a ticket issued by Air Canada. Is it possible to upgrade my BA segment from CW to F using my avios?
No. A UuA can only be done on a BA ticket (so one starting 125-...).
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Sorry, I had to re-read this a couple of times. How does that happen? Interline agreement during irrops? How does it work for TPs and Avios earnings?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by alex67500
Sorry, I had to re-read this a couple of times. How does that happen? Interline agreement during irrops? How does it work for TPs and Avios earnings?
Other airlines often sell BA flights most usually in conjunction with their own flights and often to a destination not served by the airline that issues the ticket.

The earning of tier points and avios does not depend upon ticket stock; it depends upon the operating and marketing carrier.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:38 am

Does anyone have any idea if/where I can find the 2020 peak/off peak dates. I am shortly booking a trip that goes over new year 2019-20.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by victairinternational
Does anyone have any idea if/where I can find the 2020 peak/off peak dates. I am shortly booking a trip that goes over new year 2019-20.
I don't think you'll find these yet. avios.com displays full year calendars but from memory in was well into 2018 before 2019's was uploaded.

ba.com will show you only a few days in advance but that would at least let you plan a little. i.e. today I can search for flights up to 3/11/19 (peak) but it then shows me along the top that 5/11 and 6/11 are offpeak. If you're hoping to know your inbound date before picking your outbound date, that's less helpful.

All that said, it would surprise me if BA didn't parallel their 2019 basis: i.e. I would expect the peak period to run up to and including Sunday 5th Jan 2020, the end of most school holidays.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Hi All

When does the JAL and Qantas availability show? Is there a better way to see availability or is ba.com the best route?

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Hi All

When does the JAL and Qantas availability show? Is there a better way to see availability or is ba.com the best route?

Thanks
Don't know about QF, but JAL is 330 days and is loaded at 10AM JST (so 1AM GMT). Slightly irked agent on the US Gold line helped me add to a multipartner reward this Sunday, but he was clearly in Newcastle and the line shuts at 1 GMT so I was stopping him going home [if not for long].
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by etiene
Yes, too many ways that can go wrong - hadn't even considered the extra complexity of partners.

In reality the routing I'm looking at is close to 20k, so adding flights just to use the mileage is less likely. Still, rerouting is in essence adding some flights and dropping others - I guess I can but try!

Thanks for the advice - I may be back for more...!
Thought I'd come back and update on this, as I've now finished building my itinerary [at least for now!]. I was able to build a multi-partner reward up piece by piece, though there were a couple of hiccups. Because of the lack of information regarding multi-partner rewards, I ran a test case with the Gold line to check pricing and ask about building the itinerary. After checking with her supervisor, the agent encouraged me to add each flight when available regardless of the order. In my case, flights 4 and 5 (HKG-DOH-LHR) were available first, so I booked those and payment was taken

Because of the lack of information about multi-partner rewards, I had the Gold line price up a test case. This was userful, and the agent [after checking to make sure] said I should call in and add each flight as soon as they were available. In my case, of the five flights I was looking for I was 4 and 5 were available first - I booked these and the payment was taken. 1-2-3 came up in order over the course of a couple of weeks. Adding 1 (LHR-SAN) caused some confusion, the agent added the flight and sent it off to get the fees calculated. I got no call back, but the flights were in the booking. It seems that despite the notes on what was going on, Fares had rejected it as the itinerary at that point [LHR-SAN, HKG-DOH-LHR] made no sense. On the plus side, the availability was preserved so that didn't really cause an issue.

However, when I called to add flight 2 (LAX-NRT), the Japan call centre [India, I think] refused to add it as they claimed variously that Avios could not be used for RTW itineraries and/or that I was required to take a "sensible/direct" routing. It was 1am, so I failed to point out that the most direct routing to spend five days in California and then go to Japan was exactly what I was doing. Fortunately, the flights were still available when I spoke to Newcastle in the morning, so that was added in, and then sent to Fares again. They declined to actually price it until the whole thing was done, but again the flights were reserved, so no harm done there.

Finally, I was able to add flight 3 (NRT-HKG) this Sunday and the Fares team did their work (I would have preferred CX, but they were playing silly beggars with married segment availability so I'm on JL). All sorted and sent to ticketing, so as long as they don't throw a spanner in the works by quoting rules they don't publish my Rugby World Cup trip is sorted. Now I just have to see if life changes on me and scuppers all the best laid plans...!
flashware and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:27 pm

I have made a search on this, but could not come up with an answer.

If I use Avios for a JAL flight, Japan to Taiwan, would a surcharge be assessed by BA?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by muji
I have made a search on this, but could not come up with an answer.

If I use Avios for a JAL flight, Japan to Taiwan, would a surcharge be assessed by BA?
Hi. I don't think BA would add any charges of their own on top of the usual taxes/fees/charges imposed on a normal JAL booking. As you have probably found taxes/fees/charges around the Far East can be pretty low so reward bookings on JAL and CX can be a very good value way to get around that part of the world.

For NRT to TPE in Y/J shown on ba.com for reward
Passenger Service Facilities Charge (Int'L) - Japan GBP 14.40
Passenger Securities Service Charge - Japan GBP 3.60
Carrier imposed charge GBP 2.50
Carrier imposed charge GBP 24.10
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Total = £44.60

If I check JAL revenue bookings for the same flights the same figures for taxes/fees/charges are shown (itamatrix shows TFC of £44.20) - all carrier imposed charges are JAL's. BA isn't adding anything on to the taxes/fees/charges.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think BA would add any charges of their own on top of the usual taxes/fees/charges imposed on a normal JAL booking.
Thank you KARFA.
I appreciate your help on this. ^
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:35 pm

Was just about to book a the following: LHR-EWR (T class) / JFK-SFO (B class) / LAX-LHR (T class). I was going to UUA and was told the difference in cost was £200, a similar flight a few months ago was £90 extra. Has there been an increase recently or is it down to the ticket type that I was going to buy?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by victairinternational
Was just about to book a the following: LHR-EWR (T class) / JFK-SFO (B class) / LAX-LHR (T class). I was going to UUA and was told the difference in cost was £200, a similar flight a few months ago was £90 extra. Has there been an increase recently or is it down to the ticket type that I was going to buy?
Yes the BA YQ is now £400 in CW versus £200 in WT+. I can't verify your old difference, but YQ and the difference between classes has been expanding.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:49 am

If I look at prices for next July LHR-LAX rtn carrier surcharge is £200 for WTP and £400 for CW unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.