Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:59 am

Hi, not sure where is the best place to ask this?

I used Avios to book a reward seat from JNB – LHR March 2019.

If I want to upgrade to WTP, what are my options?

I tried to go via MMB but it is giving me an error. I know I can not use Avios to upgrade.

Also, if all else fails, I will try on the day at the desk, any advice for this approach? Or just be early?

Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
Hi, not sure where is the best place to ask this?

I used Avios to book a reward seat from JNB – LHR March 2019.

If I want to upgrade to WTP, what are my options?

I tried to go via MMB but it is giving me an error. I know I can not use Avios to upgrade.

Also, if all else fails, I will try on the day at the desk, any advice for this approach? Or just be early?

Thank you.
Do you want to upgrade with cash or avios? For cash all you can do is ask at the airport (though if it's a relatively cheap date maybe cancel the reward and book with cash? [unlikely if it's a oneway]).

For avios, you cannot technically upgrade but (if there is WT+ reward availability) you can change the class of your booking by calling up.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:31 am

Thanks. since I booked the flight, there were only 1 WTP seat available, and my wife took it.

I will try upgrading at the deck on the day with cash.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:48 am

Thanks. since I booked the flight, there were only 1 WTP seat available, and my wife took it.

I will try upgrading at the deck on the day with cash.
You may receive an online upgrade offer too, just keep checking the booking. Note that you won't earn any TP/Avios as the underlying fare is an Avios booking.
Mike_Smith likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:26 pm

Does anyone know where the Lloyds Avios Upgrade vouchers are shown in an account that's been transferred from the Avios site to the executive club site?

Was just about to use one of mine and I have absolutely no idea where it is now.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by RG1X
Does anyone know where the Lloyds Avios Upgrade vouchers are shown in an account that's been transferred from the Avios site to the executive club site?

Was just about to use one of mine and I have absolutely no idea where it is now.
The experience seems to be that the don't show, disappointingly.

The process of redeeming them also seems inconsistent. Sometimes they will re-activate your avios.com account, move the avios required there and then book it. Alternatively they will just debit BAEC - which in the latter case takes the avios from across your HHA if you have one. You may not be able to control which occurs, but if you prefer the former maybe call the avios.com provided number (0344 49 333 49), or BAEC for the latter.

[Too late for you but if others still haven't been transferred, you can join EI's AerClub and link it to your avios.com account which will then not be closed/transferred, and then you Lloyds vouchers will sit there ... but as to new Lloyds avios and future vouchers I don't know!]
RG1X likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:43 am

That's... really poor. =/

Nothing ever simple.

Edit - Even better, just tried the "Chat with Avios" in a couple of different browsers, and it's completely broken.

Last edited by RG1X; Nov 1, 2018 at 2:54 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by flashware
You may receive an online upgrade offer too, just keep checking the booking. Note that you won't earn any TP/Avios as the underlying fare is an Avios booking.
Hi, yes I know I will not get any TP/Avios for that trip.

Also, I have taken many BA Flights, and have never been offered an online upgrade? Will this be via email, or on the app/website? if I am to get an offer?

Thank you all again for your help.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:54 am

Hi, yes I know I will not get any TP/Avios for that trip.

Also, I have taken many BA Flights, and have never been offered an online upgrade? Will this be via email, or on the app/website? if I am to get an offer?

Thank you all again for your help.
Offered via the app and website, often it will display in a banner at the top of the MMB page. You can also just click "upgrade with cash" and if it's available it'll offer the promotional price (also referred to on here as a POUG).
Mike_Smith likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Any guidance on the waiting time to expect calling Japan at 1am?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Avios
Hey guys..... never used this site before but I hope someone can help me...

Im looking to book a Reward seat going to NYC between 23rd May - 30th May 2019. I live between LBA and MAN so as I plan to use a Lloyds Avios Upgrade Voucher looked to fly from those airports via LHR. But im confused.

LBA-LHR-JFK on the above dates looking to be 110,000 Avios + £660.19 - However, there are only 2 options available with one being an 8 hour stop-over at LHR or the later being 1.25 hour stop-over.. neither ideal

MAN-LHR-JFK on the above dates looking to be 110,000 Avios + £835.46 - Times are much more varied and better but why the hell is it £175.27 more expensive to fly from MAN than LBA

I have made sure the LHR-JFK-LHR flights are the same using BA0183 outbound and BA0174 inbound, both of which are BA metal.

I've even looked purely at the domestic flights. To travel from either MAN or LBA to LHR is the same price and Avios....

SO WHY IS IT £175.27 MORE EXPENSIVE to fly from MAN than LBA?????

Thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks in advance....
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by nwoody2001

Welcome to FT nwoody2001, I’m sure a more official greeting will be forthcoming from one of our Ambassadors soon!

I have no specific insight into your particular issue here, but I recall that sometimes BA IT is a little flaky, and that the actual cost isn’t properly calculated on the first page when redeeming - you have to click through to the next page and then it works itself out. Is it possible that this is what’s happening here?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hey guys..... never used this site before but I hope someone can help me...

Im looking to book a Reward seat going to NYC between 23rd May - 30th May 2019. I live between LBA and MAN so as I plan to use a Lloyds Avios Upgrade Voucher looked to fly from those airports via LHR. But im confused.

LBA-LHR-JFK on the above dates looking to be 110,000 Avios + £660.19 - However, there are only 2 options available with one being an 8 hour stop-over at LHR or the later being 1.25 hour stop-over.. neither ideal

MAN-LHR-JFK on the above dates looking to be 110,000 Avios + £835.46 - Times are much more varied and better but why the hell is it £175.27 more expensive to fly from MAN than LBA

I have made sure the LHR-JFK-LHR flights are the same using BA0183 outbound and BA0174 inbound, both of which are BA metal.

I've even looked purely at the domestic flights. To travel from either MAN or LBA to LHR is the same price and Avios....

just done a dummy cash booking for LBA and MAN. Looks like in J taxes/fees/charges are £634.66 for LBA and MAN is £633.93. This was just for some random dates in June. I’ll have a further play with this later and see if I can spot anything.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

I don't know how the Lloyds voucher works, nor what exactly you're trying to do with it. But the figures that you give look like the redemption figures for a round-trip in CW (off-peak outbound, peak inbound, 50,000+60,000=110,000 Avios).

The TFC for a CW redemption LBA-LHR-JFK-LHR-LBA on those dates start from £634.66 at today's rates. But if you have a long connection (>4h) on the inbound, then you pay another shot of APD to make the TFC £660.66. That's close enough to the figure that you got to suggest that I'm in the right ballpark here.

The TFC for a CW redemption MAN-LHR-JFK-LHR-MAN should be of the same order. The directly comparable TFC figure (standard connection outbound, long connection inbound) would be £659.93.

One big component of the TFC is APD, which is £172.00 for a long-haul flight. The difference between £659.93 and £835.46 is close enough to this to make me wonder therefore whether there is a glitch in the latter calculation, and that the quote wrongly includes two lots of long-haul APD.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by squawk

I have no specific insight into your particular issue here, but I recall that sometimes BA IT is a little flaky, and that the actual cost isn’t properly calculated on the first page when redeeming - you have to click through to the next page and then it works itself out. Is it possible that this is what’s happening here?
Having had a moment to check this, it turns out that squawk is absolutely correct here.

The bottom of the first page, on which you select your flights, gives the figures mentioned by nwoody2001. These are incorrect.

In each case, if you click through to the next page, you will get a firm price quote. For both MAN-LHR-JFK-LHR-MAN and LBA-LHR-JFK-LHR-LBA, the second page gives the correct TFC figures - namely the figures in my immediately preceding post. (The MAN figure if there is a standard connection in both directions is £633.93, to be clear.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.