Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:08 am

I have a small amount of avios and am going to use them to book a LHR - KEF flight for next year. Does anyone know if BA will release another seat (in Y) as there is only one available. I'll be travelling with my mum so it would be good if we could both use of the points I have left...if not, she'll just have to pay

And not quite Avios related...does anyone know where I can subscribe to a BA newletter to be alerted to sales - I can't find a link on the website to sign up. Or is their fb page the best place?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Melissa Barnes
And not quite Avios related...does anyone know where I can subscribe to a BA newletter to be alerted to sales ...
It's not a BA newsletter and it's not official in that sense. And it tends to throw up some false positives and some random chatter that doesn't help matters. But subscribing to this thread may be the most reliable way of finding out about sales for travel starting in the UK, particularly as it often identifies sales up to 24 hours before BA officially announces them: When is the next BA sale?

If you're looking for offers from Australia, registering on the BA website - https://www.britishairways.com/trave...w/public/en_au - and making sure that you've ticked the box for "Send me news and offers from British Airways and its subsidiaries, including British Airways Holidays and BA CityFlyer" might do the job. (You only need to select the radio button for "Register with ba.com" - you don't need to join the Executive Club for this purpose.) If you've already registered, then after you log in there must be a way of managing your account to select your marketing preferences.

And you've probably seen that BA's Australian website is saying that there is an ex-AU sale on now.
Melissa Barnes likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
How do I search for Latam awards? I am not finding many of Latam cities in BA award search tool. I have tried typing in the airport codes. All I get is error messages. so, please help. I am trying to fly SCL--PNT, USH--FTE, and FTE--EZE. Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
How do I search for Latam awards? I am not finding many of Latam cities in BA award search tool. I have tried typing in the airport codes. All I get is error messages. so, please help. I am trying to fly SCL--PNT, USH--FTE, and FTE--EZE. Thanks.
Are you sure that Latam flies between those cities on the dates you are searching? It seems that some of these flights may only operate one day a week (if at all) on Latam.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:49 am

Wondering if someone can help me understand why I can’t find any direct flights from New York – Toronto on American. I’m looking on Sept 28th 2019. Google maps shows 4 direct flights from New York-Toronto, 2 from JFK and 2 from LGA. All four are operated by American Airlines. When I go to BA Avios and search, I see only one flight, it’s from EWR and has a connection.. EWR-CLT-YYZ.

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Can anyone help me understand why this would be? Clearly, there are flights.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfacowns
Wondering if someone can help me understand why I can’t find any direct flights from New York – Toronto on American. I’m looking on Sept 28th 2019. Google maps shows 4 direct flights from New York-Toronto, 2 from JFK and 2 from LGA. All four are operated by American Airlines. When I go to BA Avios and search, I see only one flight, it’s from EWR and has a connection.. EWR-CLT-YYZ.

https://www.google.ca/flights#flt=/m...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Can anyone help me understand why this would be? Clearly, there are flights.
it doesn't look like aa have released any reward seats yet. you can check by looking on aa.com and doing a reward seat search - if there are MileSAAver level seats available then you should see avios reward seats available on ba,com.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
it doesn't look like aa have released any reward seats yet. you can check by looking on aa.com and doing a reward seat search - if there are MileSAAver level seats available then you should see avios reward seats available on ba,com.
That's what my first thought was, perhaps it's too far into the future. However, I took a few Saturday's from each month all the way back from Sept-April 2019 and still, this is the only flight showing.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Are you sure that Latam flies between those cities on the dates you are searching? It seems that some of these flights may only operate one day a week (if at all) on Latam.
yes, Latam does fly between those cities. Some of them are daily. One of them is 4 times a week. I also tried near by cities. I finally called BA. The agent was able to pull SLC--PNT on her system and showed multiple award seats available but when she click through to get me the seats, the system gave her some error messages. I think it is a lost cause.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:45 am

yes, Latam does fly between those cities. Some of them are daily. One of them is 4 times a week. I also tried near by cities. I finally called BA. The agent was able to pull SLC--PNT on her system and showed multiple award seats available but when she click through to get me the seats, the system gave her some error messages. I think it is a lost cause.
Odd as generally LATAM release 7 economy seats per flight to BAEC.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
When are you looking? For SCL-PNT, expertflyer shows flights Sa, M, T, Th until 26FEB19 when the M service ends; the other flights end in mid-March; no flights are currently loaded after 16MAR19.For USH-FTE, expertflyer shows flights S, Th until the end of February when there appears to only be a Sa service until mid-March, then nothing is loaded. If you are looking after mid-March, it seems that LATAM hasn't loaded their schedules for some of these flights yet.

Generally, LATAM availability sometimes comes and goes, although, imo, it has seemed more stable and predictable in the last year.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
How much would seat selection cost on an Avios booking in World Traveller Plus? I'm looking at JFK-LGW and the cash booking shows the seat selection as free, but I know that might not be the case in the award booking.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thphilly
How much would seat selection cost on an Avios booking in World Traveller Plus? I'm looking at JFK-LGW and the cash booking shows the seat selection as free, but I know that might not be the case in the award booking.
Do you have a higher tier frequent flyer status?

If you look at a round-trip JFK-LGW-JFK cash booking and see what the cost is of pre-allocating a seat, it should be the same for an award booking.

Looking at a one-way JFK-LGW cash booking (which it seems you might have done) may give a misleading result because that could book into a booking class which comes with free seat pre-allocation regardless of status.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do you have a higher tier frequent flyer status?

If you look at a round-trip JFK-LGW-JFK cash booking and see what the cost is of pre-allocating a seat, it should be the same for an award booking.

Looking at a one-way JFK-LGW cash booking (which it seems you might have done) may give a misleading result because that could book into a booking class which comes with free seat pre-allocation regardless of status.
Thank you, that's exactly what I did. I searched a roundtrip with a much more reasonable cash fare and saw seat selection prices of $49-62.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:56 am

Hi, I've got a question on combining Avios and would appreciate if anyone is able to confirm... My sister and I were planning to use her Amex 241 and book flights by combining our Avios. She has tried to add me to her existing household account (just her, her husband and child). When she did this, it said an email notification would be sent to me. I haven't received anything and there's no notification when I log onto my account. I'm not sure if the issue is because I live at a different address? Apart from household account, there doesn't seem to be anyway that we can combine our avios without paying to transfer them from one of us to the other - is that correct? Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonIrish
I'm not sure if the issue is because I live at a different address?
The T&C do require that all the members of a household account "must permanently reside at the same residential address".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.