Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb

Personally, for an outbound, I would concentrate on doing it online. If you aren’t in a household account with your companion, make sure they are already pre-populated on ba.com and do a dummy booking to know the pages and boxes you’ll want to click through quickly. And remember it’s 1am BST.
Thank you! will try online while on the phone
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Now I can't even spend Avios, because I keep getting an ERROR saying "please check that the last name of the 1st Adult is correct". No matter what name I input, my own, variations of the person I want to make the ticket for, I can't get past that stage. Am I the only one having this issue at the moment? When are they going to sort their IT out finally?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I was exploring the possibility to book an Air Italy flight with Avios on BA.com, but I am surprised for how expensive the taxes part seems to be.

BA.com MXP-SUF rt Y 9000 Avios + 133 eur taxes/fees
ITA Matrix (same flights) Base Fare + 83.3 eur taxes/fees
Air Italy (same flights) Base Fare + 57.3 eur taxes/fees

I suppose BA has its own fees added on...?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
I was exploring the possibility to book an Air Italy flight with Avios on BA.com, but I am surprised for how expensive the taxes part seems to be.

whats the breakdown of all three taxes/fees/charges figures?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
whats the breakdown of all three taxes/fees/charges figures?

Air Italy I saw no breakdown for the taxes/fees.

ITA shows this
Fare 1: Carrier IG RLLIGHT MIL to SUF (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code R Covers MXP-SUF (Economy) €2.00
Fare 2: Carrier IG RLLIGHT SUF to MIL (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code RCovers SUF-MXP (Economy)€2.00

Italy Passenger Service Charge Departure (MJ)€2.38
Italy Value Added Tax On IT EX VT HB Domestic (FN)€4.30
Italy Council City Tax (HB)€13.00
Italy Security Charge (VT)€5.18
Italy Embarkation Tax (IT)€21.19
IG YQ surcharge (YQ)€10.00
IG YR surcharge (YR)€26.00
Italy Security Bag Charge (EX)€1.25
Subtotal per passenger €87.30
Number of passengers x1
Subtotal For 1 adult€87.30
Ba.com shows this
Government, authority and airport charges Per adult
Embarkation Tax - Italy EUR 21.19
Council City Tax - Italy EUR 13.00
Italy Passenger Service Charge - Italy EUR 2.38
Security Bag Charge - Italy EUR 1.25
Security Charge - Italy EUR 5.18
Domestic Vat On: It/Vt/Ex - Italy EUR 4.30
Total government, authority and airport charges*
EUR 47.30

British Airways fees and carrier charges Per adult
Carrier imposed charge EUR 26.00
Carrier imposed charge EUR 60.00

Total British Airways fees and carrier charges
EUR 86.00

Total taxes, fees, carrier imposed charges or fuel surcharge, where applicable, per person Per adult
EUR 133.30
Maybe it can be obvious, but I'm a disaster when it comes to this kind of things...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Air Italy I saw no breakdown for the taxes/fees.

Maybe it can be obvious, but I'm a disaster when it comes to this kind of things...
Thanks. I would have expected it to be roughly the same, but with Air Italy I guess not,
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks. I would have expected it to be roughly the same, but with Air Italy I guess not,
Thanks to you.
For these flights It becomes more than useless to book with avios, as the highest Y fare on Air Italy website - so with basically the same flexibility of an avios booking - comes just at 90 eur pp.
As happens for Long Hauls, when selecting J avios is still cheaper than paying for it, but being just a short haul flight I don't think it's worth it anyway.
Oh well
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Hi everyone,
I booked an Iberia award for next year using BA avios (TATL J), and I received an email saying that my flight was changed by a full day (apparently, MAD-BOS isn't operating anymore on the day I booked it). I am obviously going to call BA, but I'd like to get a good sense of their guidelines in case of a schedule change of that magnitude. Would they reroute me via LHR on the original day? Would they try to ask for payment of additional surcharges? And/or can I change my origin within the region? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:23 am

Hi All,

I have lurked here for a while and made a post every now and then. For the first time I need some advice. I have around 240,000 avios and want to use some of them next year. If people could critique what my plans are below and let me know if there is anything they would do differently. Essentially I want to go to NYC, Belize, Santiago, Lima and Rio.

I have spent a lot of time looking at availability and think I have my plans nailed down. All flights will be economy except for the return flight to Lon.

I will take a positioning flight to Dublin then fly:

DUB - NYC (stay for 5 days) 13,000 points plus £63 in taxes
NYC - MIA (7500 points + £4) connection to
MIA - BZE (stay 8 nights) (7500 + £4) - BZE - MIA (15,000 + £50)
connection to MIA - SCL (stay 3 nights) (25,000 + £4
SCL - LIM (non reward flight) (stay 3 nights)
LIM - Rio (12500 + £23) stay 4 nights

Then was thinking of fling to Sao Paulo for a first class flight back to London or flying from Rio to LON in business. Which should I do?

Quick question, when I tried to book a first class flight from Sao Paulo it said it should be 102,000 + about £20 in taxes but when you go to book through it jumps to £200 is this correct or do I need to call BA.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by willismac
Hi All,

I have lurked here for a while and made a post every now and then. For the first time I need some advice. I have around 240,000 avios and want to use some of them next year. If people could critique what my plans are below and let me know if there is anything they would do differently. Essentially I want to go to NYC, Belize, Santiago, Lima and Rio.

I have spent a lot of time looking at availability and think I have my plans nailed down. All flights will be economy except for the return flight to Lon.

I will take a positioning flight to Dublin then fly:

DUB - NYC (stay for 5 days) 13,000 points plus £63 in taxes
NYC - MIA (7500 points + £4) connection to
MIA - BZE (stay 8 nights) (7500 + £4) - BZE - MIA (15,000 + £50)
connection to MIA - SCL (stay 3 nights) (25,000 + £4
SCL - LIM (non reward flight) (stay 3 nights)
LIM - Rio (12500 + £23) stay 4 nights

Then was thinking of fling to Sao Paulo for a first class flight back to London or flying from Rio to LON in business. Which should I do?

Quick question, when I tried to book a first class flight from Sao Paulo it said it should be 102,000 + about £20 in taxes but when you go to book through it jumps to £200 is this correct or do I need to call BA.
Generally speaking flying J on IB is better value for points (and lower taxes), you can fly them direct to MAD on your route home then fly from MAD back to LON. Of course flying out of Brazil is slightly different due to the local laws and taxes should be low on BA, often they'll charge you anyway and you then need to chase them down for a refund.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Oxymore
Hi everyone,
I booked an Iberia award for next year using BA avios (TATL J), and I received an email saying that my flight was changed by a full day (apparently, MAD-BOS isn't operating anymore on the day I booked it). I am obviously going to call BA, but I'd like to get a good sense of their guidelines in case of a schedule change of that magnitude. Would they reroute me via LHR on the original day? Would they try to ask for payment of additional surcharges? And/or can I change my origin within the region? Thanks for your help!
As your schedule has changed more than 2 hours, you are entitled to a reroute via a Joint Business route (i.e. via LHR, but also via JFK/MIA/CLT/PHL if you prefer) and no Avios availability is required. They won't charge you any additional Avios or tax. You can go +/- 2 days. You can also get a full refund.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Generally speaking flying J on IB is better value for points (and lower taxes), you can fly them direct to MAD on your route home then fly from MAD back to LON. Of course flying out of Brazil is slightly different due to the local laws and taxes should be low on BA, often they'll charge you anyway and you then need to chase them down for a refund.
Looking at this it seems that it is more avios with IB as there is a stop.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by willismac
Looking at this it seems that it is more avios with IB as there is a stop.
You might also consider a multi partner award which will get you 14,000 miles of J flights for 200k avios. The next band up for 240k avios is even better value.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

I just booked an Air Italy reward ticket using Avios this very day. It was an excellent deal, 10,000 Avios plus GBP61.30 taxes for Moscow (DME) to Milan (MXP) one way at a very busy time of the year. Absolutely nothing with BA via London. Cost for a paid ticket would be on the same date at the same time of booking RUB 23,631.83 (EUR 296.86).

Anybody got any idea what Air Italy (formerly Meridiana) is like on a 3h40 long flight? Is it normal catering or BoB? Maybe I should have booked Business (20,000 Avios), which was selling for around RUB 41,000 today.

By the way, I can't find any other European destinations for Air Italy, except for some potentially interesting domestic destinations in Italy (e.g. PMO, SUF).

Last edited by Concerto; Sep 17, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Concerto
Anybody got any idea what Air Italy (formerly Meridiana) is like on a 3h40 long flight? Is it normal catering or BoB? Maybe I should have booked Business (20,000 Avios), which was selling for around RUB 41,000 today.

By the way, I can't find any other European destinations for Air Italy, except for some potentially interesting domestic destinations in Italy (e.g. PMO, SUF).
I think I recall seeing that it was just a very insubstantial snack. If you can't confirm otherwise and want a meal onboad, BYO!

Their main base is Olbia - lots of shorthaul destinations from there including, I think, their only UK route to LGW. I did optimistically think I might stitch their avios availability there with BA's until I saw the charges referred to above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.