Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:37 am

Not sure if this is the thread for it but...

If I want to use an Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher, do I need availability in both the cabin I want to start with, and the one I want to upgrade into, or just the one I want to upgrade into?

For instance, if I wanted to upgrade a premium economy ticket to business, does there need to be reward availability in both cabins, or just business?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Not sure if this is the thread for it but...

If I want to use an Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher, do I need availability in both the cabin I want to start with, and the one I want to upgrade into, or just the one I want to upgrade into?

For instance, if I wanted to upgrade a premium economy ticket to business, does there need to be reward availability in both cabins, or just business?
Just the one you want to upgrade into, so just business.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Back down to £32.07!

Originally Posted by pauldb
Still comes up at £34 for me?
Manchester still £66.18.

Off Peak in October 30,000 miles but in November 19,500.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Modo
Manchester still £66.18.

Off Peak in October 30,000 miles but in November 19,500.
MAN would be on CX. There is no off peak pricing on non-BA flights hence no 19,500 avios pricing for HKG-MAN. Only BA flight would be at off peak rates so that only works only for BA HKG-LHR.

As far as I can see one way CX HKG-MAN should be TFC of about £32.40, that's what i see on itamatrix and when doing a dummy reward booking in Y.

Hong Kong Airport Passenger Security Charge (I5) £4.90
Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax (HK) £11.80
Hong Kong Airport Construction Fee (G3) £15.70

That seems to be the same also for BA and CX flights in Y HKG-LHR. The initial flight selection screen seems to indicate £330, but when you click through to the quote screen that drops to £32.40.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Just the one you want to upgrade into, so just business.
Excellent, thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I’m a bit confused (nothing new !) I am searching for an AA return LGA-ORD in December, outbound shows full range of flight times but inbound (the day after) only has flights up to 14:30. Searching on AA I can find milesaaver flights for later times.
Does this mean I can’t get a later flight or do I just ring and tell BA what flight I want ?
As this is an overnight trip to see my father I really don’t want to leave early.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
I’m a bit confused (nothing new !) I am searching for an AA return LGA-ORD in December, outbound shows full range of flight times but inbound (the day after) only has flights up to 14:30. Searching on AA I can find milesaaver flights for later times.
Does this mean I can’t get a later flight or do I just ring and tell BA what flight I want ?
As this is an overnight trip to see my father I really don’t want to leave early.
there is a limitation on the reward search fuction which means only the first 8-10 available flights for that day and route are shown. Fine for most routes, but if you are trying to book a late flight on a very frequent route the 8pm departure is probably the 14th flight of the day so off the bottom of the list!

one way to book is to call instead, the agent should be able to book what you want.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA

there is a limitation on the reward search fuction which means only the first 8-10 available flights for that day and route are shown. Fine for most routes, but if you are trying to book a late flight on a very frequent route the 8pm departure is probably the 14th flight of the day so off the bottom of the list!

one way to book is to call instead, the agent should be able to book what you want.
Thanks.
That would explain why every day ended at the same flight - will book on the phone.

Edit: No problem booking on the phone - agent knew about the issue. Flights now booked ^
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by missdimeaner; Oct 8, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:51 am

I was looking for Avios bookings on Sunday 13 October and Monday 14 October.

The website says Off-peak when showing the flights available but it's charging peak rates. Headforpoints says they are peak days.

A glitch?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I was looking for Avios bookings on Sunday 13 October and Monday 14 October.

The website says Off-peak when showing the flights available but it's charging peak rates. Headforpoints says they are peak days.

A glitch?
Seems like it

https://www.headforpoints.com/wp-con...endar-2018.jpg
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
MAN would be on CX. There is no off peak pricing on non-BA flights hence no 19,500 avios pricing for HKG-MAN. Only BA flight would be at off peak rates so that only works only for BA HKG-LHR..
The 30,000 was for BA - no CX availability.

Very familiar with the routing HKG to MAN as we fly it at least a dozen times a year. One way ex HKG direct on CX is worth paying the extra 10,500 to avoid Heathrow. Revenue we are tending towards J on AY or QR for the same reason.

Based on other replies the site was having glitches when I checked. I was in Macau logging in as a UK user - but no VPN.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Modo
The 30,000 was for BA - no CX availability.

Based on other replies the site was having glitches when I checked. I was in Macau logging in as a UK user - but no VPN.
well presumbaly the 30k avios on BA for HKG-LHR was on a peak date.

I assume you haven’t seen the higher £60 odd price repeated now? If you have can you provide the date you see it please.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Some questions regarding multi-partner redemptions, if I may...

Looking at this for the very end of the booking window next year, and of course that probably means different airlines having different booking windows too.
So:
  • Is it possible to piece these together bit by bit in a similar way to adding the return flight to a BA avios booking?
  • If so, what would be charged when? e.g. would booking flight 1 result in the full segment charge, but flight 2 move it onto the multi-segment chart?
  • I think the change fee is waived if you couldn't book a segment at the time of the originial booking for normal stuff - does anyone know if that would apply here too?
  • I'm guessing the cancellation would just be the usual £35 redeposit fee?
Obviously, this is likely to be complicated to piece together and availability may well be tricky. Waiting until everything is within the booking windows seems like a recipe for missing out entirely.

To wit, I know the BA window is 355 days, and AA is 330 I believe? Can people fill me in for CX, JL, QR and IB?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Piecing bit by bit, or changing bands, is unlikely to work. Probably no set rules about this, but can be compared to the inability to change redemption bands once booked.
The change fee would be waived, the best way would be to book the itinerary as you want it with dates as far out in the future as possible, and then change the flights to the dates you want once flights open up. Make sure the agent puts a note to that effect in the PNR. I believe IB is 360 days (though perhaps BA can't book until 355 days?), JL is 330 days (10am Japan time). Not sure about CX/QR, you can try on their websites.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by BA6501
Piecing bit by bit, or changing bands, is unlikely to work. Probably no set rules about this, but can be compared to the inability to change redemption bands once booked.
The change fee would be waived, the best way would be to book the itinerary as you want it with dates as far out in the future as possible, and then change the flights to the dates you want once flights open up. Make sure the agent puts a note to that effect in the PNR. I believe IB is 360 days (though perhaps BA can't book until 355 days?), JL is 330 days (10am Japan time). Not sure about CX/QR, you can try on their websites.
Fair point - so you reckon the best method would be to book the entire itinerary [basically as one continuous trip] with the agent noting date changes to come and then repeatedly pushing the later segments out as the desired flights become bookable...?

Only issue I see there would be relying on the forbearance of the agents when repeatedly rebooking as one would book 1-2-3-4, then have to rebook 2-3-4 rather than just 2 [which would result in multiple OJs], then 3-4, then 4. Not much to be done about it though, unless one is to rely on availability after the booking window is open.

Good thinking though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.