Wiki Posts
Search

Free Champagne/ Seat 25D

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Free Champagne/ Seat 25D

BA will apparently be offering a free glass of champagne to everyone travelling in seat 25D between 22nd the and 27th of December. This will include all shorthaul flights leaving from Heathrow and Gatwick. I hope this is true as I’ve just change my seat from the front of the plane. And let’s hope their IT systems don’t crash due to a mad rush of everyone trying to change their seats!! 😬😬
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Is it 1st April today? If it is true that the offer occurs I'm not sure I would move my seat from the front just to get a glass of ‘champagne’ worth a few pounds. If I was that keen for champagne I’d have a glass in the lounge (or buy one at an outlet if I don’t have status) and stay In my original seat.

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Dec 20, 2017 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Raffles has the full story over on HfP

M
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Most people who get this won't know about it beforehand. It's one of those small gestures I was talking about elsewhere to delight customers and create a better perception.

The lounge access is a nice touch too. Charm offensive confirmed I'd say.
rossmacd and Finavia like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It's one of those small gestures I was talking about elsewhere to delight customers and create a better perception.
I'm not so sure. I think it might well remind the other 100 passengers what BA used to be like, even last Christmas!
Flip42 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm not so sure. I think it might well remind the other 100 passengers what BA used to be like, even last Christmas!
agreed. I’ve posted before and I’ll post again. Giving a very small percentage of their customer base something will not improve their overall net promoter score. This is a flawed strategy.

Have BA put the intern in charge of improving their net promoter score instead of uploading fares? If so that strategy is backfiring too!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Not so sure.

Four weeks ago, my perception was:

"BA are a rapacious cost obsessed airline relentlessly reducing standards, and if I have to contact them about something it'll be a painful experience and the best I'll get out of it is a boiler plate reply from a faceless customer service organisation"

Today it is:

"BA certainly have a long way to go before getting back to how they were a few years ago, but they are showing a human side, both in my own interactions with them and in some of the things I hear about them doing for others."

The battle for hearts and minds is one of small incremental steps. You are never going to get back exactly the BA that once existed, but this 25D thing as a small step is a nice one.
Padmeister, Kestrel86 and LUFTY like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It's a nice idea, but I agree that it raises the expectation of those around 25D only to have it dashed when they realise it's not for them.

The key to a good NPS is meeting or slightly exceeding expectations. To me this looks like BA don't understand what they are doing. (My companies NPS is 97 out of 100)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Not so sure.

Four weeks ago, my perception was:

"BA are a rapacious cost obsessed airline relentlessly reducing standards, and if I have to contact them about something it'll be a painful experience and the best I'll get out of it is a boiler plate reply from a faceless customer service organisation"

Today it is:

"BA certainly have a long way to go before getting back to how they were a few years ago, but they are showing a human side, both in my own interactions with them and in some of the things I hear about them doing for others."

The battle for hearts and minds is one of small incremental steps. You are never going to get back exactly the BA that once existed, but this 25D thing as a small step is a nice one.
Yeah, you're right. I might well think that with a glass of champagne in my hand. Otherwise I'd still be thinking they're cost obsessed!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer

agreed. I’ve posted before and I’ll post again. Giving a very small percentage of their customer base something will not improve their overall net promoter score. This is a flawed strategy.

Have BA put the intern in charge of improving their net promoter score instead of uploading fares? If so that strategy is backfiring too!
Of course, the alternative would be that they are totally (and rightly) uninterested in a meaningless opinion survey, preferring interest to rely on proper business metrics that suit their business. That could include their own customer surveys.

For those with long memories, British Rail enjoyed far from positive customer opinion, to the point that offering a positive opinion of the company was viewed as heresy in some quarters (much like positive comments about BA are becoming on this board). British Rail was the most efficient nation rail operator in Europe. I also had an extensive customer base that used it in preference to other modes of travel. What does that say about customer surveys?

Promotor surveys - mindless babble to keep the interns busy.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:34 am

How much champagne do you have to drink to forget you are flying on BA?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
I flew with Finnair LHR-HEL on Finland's 100 year anniversary of independence (Wed 6th Dec). They gave a glass of champagne to EVERYONE on the flight because of this. Indeed, they did so for every single flight operated to/from Helsinki that day. Now that's how you do it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
How much champagne do you have to drink to forget you are flying on BA?
They usually run out before that...!
On my last City flight I ended up sharing the last bottle with my neighbouring passenger.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by FrancisA

Of course, the alternative would be that they are totally (and rightly) uninterested in a meaningless opinion survey, preferring interest to rely on proper business metrics that suit their business. That could include their own customer surveys.

For those with long memories, British Rail enjoyed far from positive customer opinion, to the point that offering a positive opinion of the company was viewed as heresy in some quarters (much like positive comments about BA are becoming on this board). British Rail was the most efficient nation rail operator in Europe. I also had an extensive customer base that used it in preference to other modes of travel. What does that say about customer surveys?

Really??? Better than the French high-Speed network? I would be fascinated to see where you got that information.

Before you dismiss NPS entirely you may want to have a read through this. http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSESer...wth_5-9-05.pdf

A lot of very highly rated companies use NPS. It would be comforting to think that some of them knew what they were doing.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA

It was reported on here last week by someone who had seen the documentation that the 2000 Avios bonus for flying at Christmas was to try and boost the NPS.

Presumably you are saying this is a good example of BA management wasting time and money?

In any case I think most businesses would say NPS is with while, it gives a good pulse of what your customers are saying about you. Unless of course you genuinely don't care in which case the impact may be felt down the line after the onslaught of bad PR in the media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.