Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cabin Lights On For Take Off & Landing In Hours Of Darkness?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Lights On For Take Off & Landing In Hours Of Darkness?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Nuster
The funny thing is that your approach is in fact the binary one - belt, braces, condoms and abstention.
That's four things - how can that be binary?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's four things - how can that be binary?
Ill take that as a witty response in which case ^

(if not let me know and I can spell it out)
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Ill take that as a witty response in which case ^

(if not let me know and I can spell it out)
Each action may be binary but the overall aim to achieve a safe environment isn’t - there’s no clear cut between being safe and unsafe, rather each action is used to improve the overall level of safety. I’d echo the thoughts of others that if this is your approach, then I’d like to hope you’re not involved in safety management, be it within the aviation industry or elsewhere.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hodders
Each action may be binary but the overall aim to achieve a safe environment isn’t - there’s no clear cut between being safe and unsafe, rather each action is used to improve the overall level of safety. I’d echo the thoughts of others that if this is your approach, then I’d like to hope you’re not involved in safety management, be it within the aviation industry or elsewhere.
I am getting the snide undertone here but not sure why?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:01 am

I am getting the snide undertone here but not sure why?
Aviation has made significant improvements over the last few decades to improve safety, which has been achieved through lots of little changes and steps.

My concern, and this is just opinion so of course you’re justified to you own, is that your previous posts seem to suggest (rightly or wrongly) that you don’t see the point in these procedures as you’ve survived quite happily without them, either through ignoring SOPs in place, or on airlines where they aren’t implemented. Personally I feel this is a rather ignorant approach, which may in the event of an incident or accident lead to injury to yourself, or worse to others.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hodders
Aviation has made significant improvements over the last few decades to improve safety, which has been achieved through lots of little changes and steps.

My concern, and this is just opinion so of course you’re justified to you own, is that your previous posts seem to suggest (rightly or wrongly) that you don’t see the point in these procedures as you’ve survived quite happily without them, either through ignoring SOPs in place, or on airlines where they aren’t implemented. Personally I feel this is a rather ignorant approach, which may in the event of an incident or accident lead to injury to yourself, or worse to others.
I think you will find upon re-reading that the only SOP that I have willfully ignored has been the seat belt sign which is I think understandable given it takes a couple of hours to cross the bumpy Bay of Bengal, made more tricky with a full bladder. and staff will actively assist when there is a prolonged seat belt on sign on a very long haul flight as most on here know. Iit is also unfair to infer I have done something wrong by being comfortable on airlines with different SOPs.

likewise, I did not say I did not see the point of safety measures.I do. But I would suggest that risks are weighed up and assessedrather than a knee jerk binary response. I find that unquestioning behavior in wider life, not just aviation, to be intellectually lazy.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I find that unquestioning behavior in wider life, not just aviation, to be intellectually lazy.
Unquestioning behaviour was not what Waterhorse was proposing to do, which was a course of action that you appeared to be mocking.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:34 am

Iit is also unfair to infer I have done something wrong by being comfortable on airlines with different SOPs.
That was not my meaning so apologies if you read it that way. What I had been meaning was that I disagree with using the fact that some airlines don’t implement a safety procedure, to question that another airline does - this may not be what you had meant in your earlier post, but this was how it read to me.

likewise, I did not say I did not see the point of safety measures.I do. But I would suggest that risks are weighed up and assessedrather than a knee jerk binary response. I find that unquestioning behavior in wider life, not just aviation, to be intellectually lazy.
I think we may have to disagree on this point. I’m all for questioning a decision/policy if you’re in a suitable position to do so, but I feel that you can only do so if you have a similar level of expertise to those within the aviation authority who have made the decision. To that end if I’m told to keep my belt on when landing (or to not have loose items in an exit row during landing as you admitted to earlier), then I’m happy enough that someone who has more information to hand than I has made that decision for my safety.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
Which I’ll accept..............But I don’t see the necessity for the silly remark about flight simulators, never actually tried one or have any plans too.
Glad you’re having such fun with the ‘Like’ option.
And that is not a silly remark?
dougzz likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Recently took off from Vegas in the hours of darkness (jetblue) Cabin crew actively told us to leave the window shutters down from take off to landing so not wake the passengers up. Thought it was very odd
This is because they don't want people leaving their windows open, falling asleep while it's still dark, and then having the light shine through later, potentially disturbing other passengers' sleep.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I wish they would turn the lights off completly
done this in private aircraft ; great views and atmosphere
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.