Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cabin Lights On For Take Off & Landing In Hours Of Darkness?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Lights On For Take Off & Landing In Hours Of Darkness?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Noticed lights were not dimmed on the BA460 LHR-MAD on Saturday also.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
There were problems with the Edinburgh 767 on Wednesday when part of the cabin was either in darkness or had all the lights on. Apparently it was the flashing disco lights issue again.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
If, by that comment, you think I should not bother, then fine. I like sarcasm, it is a form of wit, perhaps the lowest - try a little harder and perhaps you can prove you are more than just a troll and add something to the thread.

It may be the lowest form of wit - it is however also the highest form of intellect

The whole thread seems pretty trivial - however that seems SOP for some of the fora - I have been on airlines where normal policy was for lights to be at maximum for landing , so it seems like a very minor thing

(full lighting potentially providing for better visibility from outside if there is an issue )
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It may be the lowest form of wit - it is however also the highest form of intellect

The whole thread seems pretty trivial - however that seems SOP for some of the fora - I have been on airlines where normal policy was for lights to be at maximum for landing , so it seems like a very minor thing

(full lighting potentially providing for better visibility from outside if there is an issue )
Some people do think safety is "pretty trivial" others do not.
'andad and Saltire74 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some people do think safety is "pretty trivial" others do not.
Given that I have been on airlines in the past where lights are at full for landing, I do not believe that it can be that major a safety item
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:19 am

I remember it being announced on another airline that they only need to dim the area around the exit doors. I do not remember the airline unfortunately, but the statement stuck out.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that I have been on airlines in the past where lights are at full for landing, I do not believe that it can be that major a safety item
A major safety item? I don't believe anyone said it was a major safety item

The issue is simple, in a rejected takeoff at night that leads to an evacuation or in a crash landing you will lose all lighting onboard except for the very dim lights provided by the emergency lighting system. Having your eyes accustomed to dim light will give you a significant advantage in being able to see where the exits are. Most of the time we do not RTO or crash land but being prepared for it may save some lives - perhaps yours one day. Safety is a game of marginal gains. Treating it as trivial reduces everyone's safety. Tha CAA mandate the lowered lighting, so UK airlines dim the lights. Other agencies think differently but for me people being able to look into the cabin is too late, by that time the lights will be out and anyone left inside is likely to. Coming out in a body bag.

But it hey keep up the good work with your highest form of intellect. Your thoughts enhance all our lives
LTN Phobia, 'andad and Saltire74 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
A major safety item? I don't believe anyone said it was a major safety item

The issue is simple, in a rejected takeoff at night that leads to an evacuation or in a crash landing you will lose all lighting onboard except for the very dim lights provided by the emergency lighting system. Having your eyes accustomed to dim light will give you a significant advantage in being able to see where the exits are. Most of the time we do not RTO or crash land but being prepared for it may save some lives - perhaps yours one day. Safety is a game of marginal gains. Treating it as trivial reduces everyone's safety. Tha CAA mandate the lowered lighting, so UK airlines dim the lights. Other agencies think differently but for me people being able to look into the cabin is too late, by that time the lights will be out and anyone left inside is likely to. Coming out in a body bag.

But it hey keep up the good work with your highest form of intellect. Your thoughts enhance all our lives
I think that either it's a real safety issue, in which case why are these planes continuing to fly, or it's not an issue in which case why are we pretending it's a safety issue. It seems to me safety is binary, either it's important enough to ground the aircraft, or it's not an issue at all. If BA's safety is reliant on feedback from someone that read it on a forum, then...... just my opinion, I'm no safety expert.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by dougzz
It seems to me safety is binary ...
It is not.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
I think that either it's a real safety issue, in which case why are these planes continuing to fly, or it's not an issue in which case why are we pretending it's a safety issue. It seems to me safety is binary, either it's important enough to ground the aircraft, or it's not an issue at all. If BA's safety is reliant on feedback from someone that read it on a forum, then...... just my opinion, I'm no safety expert.
But the pilot (captain?) above knows more about safety in the air than all of we amateurs, and he says" Safety is a game of marginal gains", so it is not binary, like some equipment defects are safe and others are not. I'm amazed that some of the armchair experts on here (especially one so-called evangelist) can prolongue the argument with Waterhorse. Even though I disagreed with him on the subject of 2 crew on the flight deck I didn't bang on that he must be wrong. Get back to your laptop flight simulators maybe?
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Tha CAA mandate the lowered lighting, so UK airlines dim the lights.
Do they mandate it? All I can find is a recommendation to dim cabin lights in CAP 789.

On the other hand, Australian Civil Aviation Order 20.11 requires illumination of either emergency lighting or normal cabin lighting below 1000ft AGL, so I guess they're fine with either option.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
If, by that comment, you think I should not bother, then fine. I like sarcasm, it is a form of wit, perhaps the lowest - try a little harder and perhaps you can prove you are more than just a troll and add something to the thread.
it was intended in a hyperbolic fashion rather than sarcasm. Regardless I am not sure it warranted the disdainful, patronizing response. The import of what I intended, in simple terms, was that it was no big deal especially as it was an exceptional occurrence.

I have flown in airlines with different application of this and did not feel any less safe. And I have landed on BA with my safety belt unbuckled, with a glass on my side table, a book or water in the emergency seat beside me and I have flown 12 hours with a phone transmitting.All the above by accident and probably not worth reporting either.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 'andad
But the pilot (captain?) above knows more about safety in the air than all of we amateurs...........

Get back to your laptop flight simulators maybe?
Which I’ll accept. But the purpose of a forum is an exchange of views, even if someone posts something which others state is wrong. I can live with that. But I don’t see the necessity for the silly remark about flight simulators, never actually tried one or have any plans too.
Glad you’re having such fun with the ‘Like’ option.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Nuster
it was intended in a hyperbolic fashion rather than sarcasm. Regardless I am not sure it warranted the disdainful, patronizing response. The import of what I intended, in simple terms, was that it was no big deal especially as it was an exceptional occurrence.

I have flown in airlines with different application of this and did not feel any less safe. And I have landed on BA with my safety belt unbuckled, with a glass on my side table, a book or water in the emergency seat beside me and I have flown 12 hours with a phone transmitting.All the above by accident and probably not worth reporting either.
This approach, too, seems to fall into the "safety is binary" approach: when something goes wrong, it's either too trivial ever to bother to do anything about, or it's critical.

I think that I prefer the different approach taken by aviation safety professionals.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This approach, too, seems to fall into the "safety is binary" approach: when something goes wrong, it's either too trivial ever to bother to do anything about, or it's critical.

I think that I prefer the different approach taken by aviation safety professionals.
The funny thing is that your approach is in fact the binary one - belt, braces, condoms and abstention. I am usually a compliant and conscientious flyer but have been known to go to the WC with the seat belt sign on. 😀#lightenup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.