Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Blackberry (legacy) app finally dead?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
BA Blackberry (legacy) app finally dead?

I still have my beloved legacy Blackberry. OK, OK, stop laughing at me!

It is saying, "Log In Failed. Sorry, we are unable to retrieve your upcoming flights. Please try again later.", and it has been doing that for a few days now.

It seems that the problem is it's having trouble logging in, because it has managed to retrieve my booking from booking reference once I logged out, but every time I try to log in, it tells me log in has failed and it can't retrieve any booking.

Is it finally semi-dead, or have problems accessing BAEC details?

I don't blame them if it is, but I would feel a little sad if that's the case.

In the unlikely event that any of you are still on a legacy BB, could you please check if your BA app is behaving normally?

I have done a forced re-start on BB with no improvement.

(I DO have a Priv and an iPad so it's not really an issue in terms of practicality but I just want to know if it's really dead, because the BB app is handy and very functional when it's working!)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 30, 2017 at 10:12 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think you're a bit late, all the blackberries have gone from the hedges in Northumberland. There's probably an App to find them. You may find an old dear somewhere around here with a pot of blackberry jam if you ask nicely. Will that do?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Windows 'phone App

I've been getting the same response on my Windows 'phone for a few days now.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I heard apples are the new blackberries
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I heard apples are the new blackberries
If apples had physical keys I could be tempted.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
How "legacy" are we talking? I used a BlackBerry Passport until August this year, and ran the British Airways android app on it without much difficulty. I'm now using a BlackBerry KeyOne, which as you'll know from your Priv makes things a whole lot easier!

Of course, if your BlackBerry is still running BB7 rather than BB10, then the android app isn't an option. If that's the case, I'd politely suggest that you invest in a KeyOne.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There you go:

No excuse now.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus
How "legacy" are we talking? I used a BlackBerry Passport until August this year, and ran the British Airways android app on it without much difficulty. I'm now using a BlackBerry KeyOne, which as you'll know from your Priv makes things a whole lot easier!

Of course, if your BlackBerry is still running BB7 rather than BB10, then the android app isn't an option. If that's the case, I'd politely suggest that you invest in a KeyOne.
Proper legacy, i.e. BB7! I am keeping it because I have a really old contract that gives me genuinely worldwide unlimited data - email and (slow but functional) internet roaming, and it probably saves me around £400-500/month in roaming charges. Now you can probably see why I am still attached to such an old technology, but also, it's a good size for making calls unlike Priv which is quite heavy and large.

BB10 is a 'fake' BB , much like BB Priv (which I do like very much but for different reasons for liking my old BB).

Originally Posted by SteveF
There you go:
No excuse now.
Haha, but too large and cumbersome. I'm happy with my BB Priv.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:13 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:03 am
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markle
You do know you can just buy a new phone and move the SIM across, right? If the new phone requires a nano / micro SIM, you can just cut your old SIM. (Tools also available on amazon)
Unfortunately (much as I wish it worked that way!) it doesn't work that way as it has to be on that funny old Blackberry's own network thing, which newer Blackberries (last one being BB7) or other phones don't use.
Jimmie76 likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 1, 2017 at 5:24 am
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by markle
You do know you can just buy a new phone and move the SIM across, right? If the new phone requires a nano / micro SIM, you can just cut your old SIM. (Tools also available on amazon)
At the risk of triggering a blood of BIS/BES flashbacks for the folks in this thread, legacy BBs operated on particular data plans which ran through RIM's servers. It worked a little differently than your regular smartphone data plan, and the two are not interchangeable.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cluster One
I've been getting the same response on my Windows 'phone for a few days now.
What OS are you on?

I got the same on my old windows phone (8.1). I then foolishly tried to reinstall and now lost the app completely as that version is no longer available to download though the v 10 version is still there.

I am looking for another phone but find the FM radio incredibly useful as I have a couple of locations in the UK where I struggle to get a decent signal and use this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:51 am

Yup - the move from BB7 to BB10 and rapidly to iPhone and others really did have this hidden cost - I know my small company at the time suffered a relatively huge phone bill uptick with the increased roaming charges once we didn't have the data compression in place.

That said these days you can get relatively decent roaming packages that cover most of the globe at a fixed daily add on to your package

Otherwise I've no practical advice other than bravo for keeping the thing running this long!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Proper legacy, i.e. BB7! I am keeping it because I have a really old contract that gives me genuinely worldwide unlimited data - email and (slow but functional) internet roaming, and it probably saves me around £400-500/month in roaming charges. Now you can probably see why I am still attached to such an old technology, but also, it's a good size for making calls unlike Priv which is quite heavy and large.
This may or not be of help to you, as I don't know your travel zones, but I have a contract that now incorporates the EU, USA, Canada, Mexico, NZ and Australia all included for roaming. Clearly if you are mostly in Asia then this won't be of use but felt its worth a mention.

I'm intrigued by the physical key argument for not having an iPhone! I'm sure I could sway you into 2017 should you be willing to try...theres a huge amount of accessibility features on iPhones in the latest iOS that helps with usability.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster

I'm intrigued by the physical key argument for not having an iPhone! I'm sure I could sway you into 2017 should you be willing to try...theres a huge amount of accessibility features on iPhones in the latest iOS that helps with usability.
I find the soft keys much slower.

I occasionally use it (Priv can do either the physical or soft keys) but it's so slow and prone to accidental mistyping.

Speed and accuracy matters when you're having to deal with a silly number of work emails every day.

This may or not be of help to you, as I don't know your travel zones, but I have a contract that now incorporates the EU, USA, Canada, Mexico, NZ and Australia all included for roaming. Clearly if you are mostly in Asia then this won't be of use but felt its worth a mention.
That is very much the issue. Data cost can be very high in some parts of the world, and I don't want to have to swap the sim around on multiple phones (as I already swap the sim around on one of them).
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.