Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail again - crew misbehaviour on overnight stops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily Mail again - crew misbehaviour on overnight stops

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Without some flight crew antics at hotels on overnight (or longer) stops, the amusement of being at hotels with the flight crew won't be all that it used to be.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that BA crew are staying in LUXURY HOTELS
Some of the hotels the BA crews use are "luxury hotels" in that the hotels' RevPAR is within the top 5% for hotels at the destination. Some of the hotels at which I've seen BA crew have been used by the US President/VP, British PM, US Secretary of State and people on such expense accounts. But then we are talking about properties in places where the BA cabin crew members (even at the junior end) are making way more than the local prevailing wage for their destination country.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 28, 2017 at 4:19 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:39 am

I feel sorry for the older contract legacy crew being thrown in the same category as their poorly paid colleagues on the new contract. For Joe Public I don't think they would even know there are two separate crews and some of the media reports of 'indecent behaviour' haven't really made pains to point out that EVERY destination and incident mentioned involves the new contract crew members.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If you put a group of young, high spirited folk in a hotel for a night or two,, why is anyone surprised that some, er, misbehaviour takes place?
The only rule that I remember from my younger pre-marriage days in both the UK and outside the UK, is not to get caught.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The only rule that I remember from my younger pre-marriage days in both the UK and outside the UK, is not to get caught.
Certainly don't end up in the Daily Mail
Calchas and fishball like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Ah, er, yes. Even back in the early 70s the Wail was looking out for misbehaviour. I was there when they reported on some, er, high jinks at a Disco in a Uni town..............but they could not catch or name anyone. I still remember the names...........
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
If you put a group of young, high spirited folk in a hotel for a night or two,, why is anyone surprised that some, er, misbehaviour takes place?
I think it's different if you are using your own money, on your own travels. These people are travelling for business and representing the company they work for. And it would be pretty difficult to 'not get caught' running through a hotel lobby naked. Although as you say, BA has to take a large amount of the blame here for allowing such a situation to develop. If they hadn't followed the path of recruiting a lot of young people and sticking them all on a 380 together and sending them away these incidents would probably happen a lot less frequently. Why BA does not integrate the Mixed Fleet crew with the legacy crew I do not know.

There are things I like about MF crews that I often find lacking in the legacy crews - the enthusiasm, excitedness, youth. And there are a lot of things I like about the legacy crews that MF lack - efficiency, maturity, professionalism. IMHO the combination of these attributes would greatly enhance the onboard customer proposition at BA.

I know other threads have discussed why MF and legacy cannot work together - different contracts, T&C's etc. However over the time since MF was launched (six years ago?) BA could have definitely made headway into finding a way for the crews to work together. Also I believe the legacy crew flew with 'temporary crew' just before MF launched and these temporary crew were essentially on the same T&C's of todays MF?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rapidex
And we see some people misbehaving getting drunk and missing their flights at these.
I know some people who weren't even drunk at all but got so involved in their work-related discussions in the BA lounge (not sure if it was F lounge or GC, I didn't ask!) that they missed their BA flights. That's even sadder

Apparently BA called for them in the lounge and they still didn't hear it. When they eventually turned up at the event, hey fell victim to relentless mick-taking afterwards as we all got to know about this little 'incident' from someone who learned about it, and of course, they turned up late.

P.S. It was not me.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Are you sure it wasn’t you, it has all your hallmarks?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:47 am

I can't believe the story will do a lot of damage. Sexing up BA might help it's appeal to the young!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I'd know I wasn't at the GC if it were me! So yes, I'm sure!

Besides the "flight missers" were both male and I'd know if I suddenly acquired certain appendages
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I'd know I wasn't at the GC if it were me! So yes, I'm sure!

Besides the "flight missers" were both male and I'd know if I suddenly acquired certain appendages
Oh, I thought that Can I help you was referring to running through hotel lobbies naked ...

LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We were meant to keep that private Globaliser.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steadman
I can't believe the story will do a lot of damage. Sexing up BA might help it's appeal to the young!
We keep being told that consumers of air travel are buying based on price. By that token and more, I too doubt that this kind of article would have any material, negative outcome on BA/IAG's bottom lines.
steadman likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
We keep being told that consumers of air travel are buying based on price. By that token and more, I too doubt that this kind of article would have any material, negative outcome on BA/IAG's bottom lines.
Sounds like BA bottom lines are becoming more visible.😀
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Sounds like BA bottom lines are becoming more visible.😀
Ill-fitting -- and/or very tight -- pants are known to have that kind of "out come".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.